PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my bike today

BigRed
08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Ever have one of those days where you think that perhaps riding your bike might not be the best idea? Well, today I had one of those days and ended up dropping my bike…not once…not twice…but three times. Yes, I dropped my bike three times in a span of 20 minutes. :wtf:

Here is the rest of the story…

I was on the fence whether I should go riding today but since the weather was nice and wife wanted to go to a local shrine to pray for her recently deceased dad, I figured why the heck not. I rode my bike and she drove the car. She had to stop by the bank so I went ahead of her.

I've only been to this place once before and drove a car. I forgot that the shrine was located on a very steep hill and to get to the parking lot one has to go up a steep narrow driveway, which curves to the left. What I had also forgotten is that the main parking lot is also on a steep incline and there is a rather deep dip that runs the length of the lot from bottom to top. In order to get into the lot I had to cut through the dip diagonally but first I had to go over a big hump. I made up the curved driveway fine but must have been going too slowly because when I got over the hump and down into the dip the bike stopped suddenly. When it stopped it immediately started leaning to the left, downhill. There was nothing I could have done to stop it from going down. I am so happy this bike has crash bars in front and back. That saved it from any damage. I tried to pick the bike up myself but trying to lift an 800lb bike up hill is almost impossible, at least for me after 2 back surgeries. I tried every technique I could think of but the bike wouldn't' budge. Lucky, there were a couple of guys doing some maintenance in the area and they helped me lift it. So that was #1. :ohno:

Once I got myself all squared away I decided to ride the bike straight up the hill, gently turn around and come down to an area that wasn't as steep as the original spot and park there. I pulled into a parking spot and...dropped the bike again but this time on its right side, again facing downhill and barely missing a parked car. At that point my wife had shown up and with her help I was able to pick up the bike by placing my butt on the seat and walking into it backwards. That was #2. :ohno: At that point I had decided that I needed to park the bike down in a different lot, farther away.

Wife did her thing at the shrine and it was time for us to go home. At that point I was in a lot that was completely flat. I got on my bike and noticed that it didn't want to start right away. This was probably related to it being on its side twice already. The bike eventually fired up and I started to move out. I was going slowly and making a left turn when the bike stalled out. I had my wheel turned to the left so when the bike stopped, it immediately leaned to the left. I was not prepared for it so it went down again on its side. Again, I was able to pick it up by slowly walking into it backwards. This was #3. :ohno::crazy:

The ride back home after that was uneventful. Things tend to happen in 3’s so hopefully I am done for a while. :???:

This wasn't fun but at least now I know that I can pick up my bike, providing that it is not laying down on the side of a hill.

I don't know what the heck today was all about. >:

Jeffsmountainauto
08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Bummer deal. At least there were no physical injuries suffered. I dropped mine right in my driveway once. Forgot to put the kickstand down. I felt so lame. Then, a month later, my son dropped his bike on mine and knocked it over in the driveway. Put a dent in my tank. I would have been upset but he was white as a sheet when he came in to tell me. It didn't seem like he needed any more stress at the time.

HwyRider
08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I know you're trying to compete with me but I have 40 years of dropping bikes so you have a long way to go.

These Nomads are heavy bikes to get back up. No doubt about it. Here's a video on how to get a heavy bike up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQhQWT7pNQ

id-man
08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
You should get a prize or something. Seriously it took a lot of determination to keep plugging after the first two times. Horses have been shot for less. Maybe it was drop-your-bike day and nobody told you?

BigRed
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I know you're trying to compete with me but I have 40 years of dropping bikes so you have a long way to go.

These Nomads are heavy bikes to get back up. No doubt about it. Here's a video on how to get a heavy bike up.

That's the technique I used to pick up the bike 2nd and 3rd time. I couldn't do it on the first time because the bike was downslope and seemed to have weighted 1600lbs.

BigRed
08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
You should get a prize or something. Seriously it took a lot of determination to keep plugging after the first two times. Horses have been shot for less. Maybe it was drop-your-bike day and nobody told you?

Prior to today the only time I dropped my bike was on loose gravel so this was highly unusual. After speaking to Neil I think the new RDL seat might be part of the problem. I think it changed my riding geometry. Because of the shape and size of the seat my feet are higher of the ground by about 2 inches so I have to tip-toe a lot more. I think that the center of gravity might have shifted as well and is higher now. I also feel like I am sitting farther away from the handlebars because when I straighten my back, my arms go completely straight. That was never the case with prior to RDL.

I might be seeing a set of risers in my not so distant future.

Griz
08-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Don't feel bad Martin, I dropped my Nomad twice, both at SC Regional Rallies. The first time was in Eureka Springs, AR in 2010, that fall broke my wife's arm. Both times were prior to the RDL seat.

paul
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Alright, that's enough practice. You're ready. Now get out there and hit those switchbacks!

hullster
08-04-2014, 10:46 PM
OK your bad day is far worse than my bad day at the office...! but at least you ride your bike today... guess you encountered a different king of rain could...?

ctrider
08-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Dropped last year and used the same technique.

dhuttonkc
08-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Sometimes it may seem counterintuitive, especially in the parking lot of a "quiet place", but keeping engine rpm a bit higher, selecting a lower gear and applying light pressure on the rear brake to control speed, is a good technique to practice in a large flat lot. Especially in the large displacement v-twin. Using the rotating engine mass to add stability at low speeds is an important lesson to learn and practice. Glad you made it out of there safe with only your pride dinged up a bit.

BigRed
08-08-2014, 08:47 PM
After reading more about RDL seats it seems that there is a good number or riders who, after getting RDL seats, are now tip-toeing their bikes and are having problems in parking lots, loose gravel/dirt lots and uneven surfaces. Getting used to this will definitely take some time and perhaps a few more incidents.

Netnorske
08-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I was in Orofino a couple weeks ago for the rally. Just prior to arrival, with a full load and the wife up top...I was doing a slow left turn and damn near stalled it. I would have been down in a NY second if I had. Luckily I pulled in the clutch, revved and re-released it just in the nick of time. Been there buddy....we all have. Nothing sucks like seeing your baby lying on the ground...no matter how many times it happens...:ohno:.

cactusjack
08-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Sometimes it may seem counterintuitive, especially in the parking lot of a "quiet place", but keeping engine rpm a bit higher, selecting a lower gear and applying light pressure on the rear brake to control speed, is a good technique to practice in a large flat lot. Especially in the large displacement v-twin. Using the rotating engine mass to add stability at low speeds is an important lesson to learn and practice. Glad you made it out of there safe with only your pride dinged up a bit.

That's essentially the philosophy behind the "Ride Like a Pro" videos.

HwyRider
08-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I ride the rear brake in 2nd when making a tight turn.

blowndodge
08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I dropped my Vic twice now. No damage but really pissed I didn't follow my instincts. Last one was on the way to Orofino. I was parked on a driveway leading into a parking lot. Low side was on the shift side. Without checking over my left shoulder to check for traffic I started to take off. I got that feeling a car might be coming down the street and tapped the brakes before being completely off the left sloping driveway. Bong!!! Tipped over! Total lack of focus on my part.

Kawhead
08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm about due for a bike dropping it's been so long . I think the last time was on some crush run in an intersection when I stopped.
The centrifugal force body slammed me into the rough asphalt so HARD, I thought I broke my assbone! :wtf:

ringadingh
08-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Three times in a day is certainly having a bad day. At least there is no damage or injury.
And you have to look at the brighter side, you will be a pro at getting the bike back up.:yep:

rickyboy
08-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Always sad to hear someone has dropped their [ no doubt! ] "pride and joy".
I've been there done that too. :cry: ....not since taking an advanced riding class though, thank God.

At the school they taught us to always keep slight pressure on the rear brake and RPM's up in a slow riding situation. .......Doing the figure eight, uphill and down hill, fully cranked, looking where you want to go, turns engrained it into my brain. .......until I have that 2 or 3 second laps in judgement or second guessing of myself. .......
With the gravel driveway I have I always run the risk of dropping the bike.

The Black Knight
08-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Gravel is always a serious danger. I dropped my bike for it.

blatherbeard
08-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Thankfully ive only dropped one bike so far and it was my brothers intruder.

Just dont tell him ;)

MiVaquero
08-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Dropped my bike today as well. :cry: Complete rookie mistake and I have been riding for almost 30 years. Pulled into the driveway and down the back to the pole barn and swung the bike to the right at a walking speed and what do I do but grab the brake, to which the bike immediately dropped on it's right side. :ohno: Thank god for the front and rear crash bars. I knew it was going down so I tried my best to ease it down. I shut it off, stood up off of it, put the kickstand out, grabbed the front brake with my left hand and the rear mount for the backrest and with my back down low I walked it backwards up onto its tires. Nothing damaged so I guess I got pretty lucky on that one.:D

Snake Ranch
08-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Ever have one of those days where you think that perhaps riding your bike might not be the best idea? Well, today I had one of those days and ended up dropping my bike…not once…not twice…but three times. Yes, I dropped my bike three times in a span of 20 minutes. :wtf:

Here is the rest of the story…

I was on the fence whether I should go riding today but since the weather was nice and wife wanted to go to a local shrine to pray for her recently deceased dad, I figured why the heck not. I rode my bike and she drove the car. She had to stop by the bank so I went ahead of her.

I've only been to this place once before and drove a car. I forgot that the shrine was located on a very steep hill and to get to the parking lot one has to go up a steep narrow driveway, which curves to the left. What I had also forgotten is that the main parking lot is also on a steep incline and there is a rather deep dip that runs the length of the lot from bottom to top. In order to get into the lot I had to cut through the dip diagonally but first I had to go over a big hump. I made up the curved driveway fine but must have been going too slowly because when I got over the hump and down into the dip the bike stopped suddenly. When it stopped it immediately started leaning to the left, downhill. There was nothing I could have done to stop it from going down. I am so happy this bike has crash bars in front and back. That saved it from any damage. I tried to pick the bike up myself but trying to lift an 800lb bike up hill is almost impossible, at least for me after 2 back surgeries. I tried every technique I could think of but the bike wouldn't' budge. Lucky, there were a couple of guys doing some maintenance in the area and they helped me lift it. So that was #1. :ohno:

Once I got myself all squared away I decided to ride the bike straight up the hill, gently turn around and come down to an area that wasn't as steep as the original spot and park there. I pulled into a parking spot and...dropped the bike again but this time on its right side, again facing downhill and barely missing a parked car. At that point my wife had shown up and with her help I was able to pick up the bike by placing my butt on the seat and walking into it backwards. That was #2. :ohno: At that point I had decided that I needed to park the bike down in a different lot, farther away.

Wife did her thing at the shrine and it was time for us to go home. At that point I was in a lot that was completely flat. I got on my bike and noticed that it didn't want to start right away. This was probably related to it being on its side twice already. The bike eventually fired up and I started to move out. I was going slowly and making a left turn when the bike stalled out. I had my wheel turned to the left so when the bike stopped, it immediately leaned to the left. I was not prepared for it so it went down again on its side. Again, I was able to pick it up by slowly walking into it backwards. This was #3. :ohno::crazy:

The ride back home after that was uneventful. Things tend to happen in 3’s so hopefully I am done for a while. :???:

This wasn't fun but at least now I know that I can pick up my bike, providing that it is not laying down on the side of a hill.

I don't know what the heck today was all about. >:

In the airplane arena, there are tail draggers and tricycle type landing gear type planes. The tail draggers are famous for ground looping. There is a saying for the pilots who fly them "Those who have, and those who have not". You have joined the club. Just be thankful with no injury or damage, and just a ruffled pride. I have twice run out of forward motion and found myself standing over or on my pride. Once on a steep, paved, rough approach with a sharp right hand turn starting before the top, and once in a flat parking lot. Both times I should have had more ground speed for the amount of lean I was holding. Being tired and late can have an influence on our focus.

jesse d
08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
live.... love... and learn thats part of riding. ive dropped alot of bikes.......keep riding brother......you will be cool......:cheers::tup:

wolfman46
08-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I ride the rear brake in 2nd when making a tight turn.
I have been doing the same thing and I thought maybe I was wrong but it
seems to allow me to control the bike better. Glad to hear others are using 2nd gear and light brake instead of first.

glwilson
08-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Youtube... "Ride Like A Pro" videos. Watch a few of them, and then practice like your life depended on it... because it does.

You'll be better for it.:cheers:

vulcanguy
08-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Been there, done that...the only thing that was hurt was my pride, for about 10 minutes.

Ride on & ride safe!

BigRed
08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
I just got the RLAP video. I plan to watch it, re-watch, watch it again and then find an empty parking lot to practice. I will also need to buy small traffic cones, something I can fit in my bags.

glwilson
08-28-2014, 07:13 PM
I just got the RLAP video. I plan to watch it, re-watch, watch it again and then find an empty parking lot to practice. I will also need to buy small traffic cones, something I can fit in my bags.

Get some tennis balls and cut them in half. Easy to see and carry with you -- and also less intimidating than cones when starting out. If you hit one, it will not tip you over, or scratch the bike.

Glad to hear you bought the video. Practice, practice, and then practice. You will simply be amazed at how much better you will become. Safer too. :cheers:

John C Boots
09-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Two cases of inattention on my part in the past few months. Almost home after a nearly 7000Km trip, stopped in a perking lot to send my wife a text, backing into a parking space and didn't notice the HUGE light standard behind me, thunk, tip, fall. Next time was touring with my wife, we stopped, and I was not ready for her to get off, tip, thunk. No damage either time, except maybe a bit a pride.

Texas nomad
09-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Again, the Ride Like A Pro video series is great. This is a video taught by a former wheel officer. Sounds simple, but it does take practice. I've been through our department motor school three different times. Each time I learn something new! The biggest thing to remember is set the throttle at 1200 rpm (when completing slow turning maneuvers). When you want or need to increase speed (movement), simply let out more clutch. Keep the throttle set. As you turn sharp, you can keep a steady pressure on the rear brake, but never on the front. With practice, you too can ride very, very well. After practice, you can take the Nomad and pull a 180 in two parking stalls... Sounds rough, but you can do it! It's all clutch, throttle, brake... And head and eye placement. Ride safe gang...

BigRed
09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't know what 1200 rmp is on my bike because my bike doesn't have a tachometer. I will have to do everything by sound, feel and trial and error.

27vulcan
09-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Just got a voyager this summer and dropped it on the left in a parking lot. It was an uphill with a side incline. Had the wife with me , picked it up and got it started again. Nothing more than my pride hurt. Dropped it on the right side this weekend. Wife and I stopped at a scenic overlook and same scenario, uphill parking spot angled to the right. Thank goodness no one was hurt and that the bike has bars! Just have to be more careful or grow stronger, longer legs!

Bart
09-09-2014, 07:45 PM
I bought a Ride Like a Pro video a couple months ago and it has definitely helped improve my parking lot and city driving. I noticed MotorMan Palladino also has some short videos on YouTube. Wish my bike had a tach but I'm learning to get the feel of it.

glwilson
09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Just got a voyager this summer and dropped it on the left in a parking lot. It was an uphill with a side incline. Had the wife with me , picked it up and got it started again. Nothing more than my pride hurt. Dropped it on the right side this weekend. Wife and I stopped at a scenic overlook and same scenario, uphill parking spot angled to the right. Thank goodness no one was hurt and that the bike has bars! Just have to be more careful or grow stronger, longer legs!

Be sure to only stop when you have the front wheel pointed at all times straight ahead.

Simply turn the bars straight (quickly if needed) before braking. Use both brakes when possible; but if you only use your front brake in slow maneuvers then expect to experience a slight loss of control. If you know it is coming, and the bike is straight ahead, then typically you can control it. But remember, it doesn't take much to tip a bike in slow maneuvers when using only the front brake when the front is turned.

The rear brake is the only brake to use in slow maneuvers when ever you possibly can.

If you use just the front brake when the wheel is turned (especially in unusual attitudes), it will almost guarantee your bike to go down -- as was mentioned.

Ride safe, often, and aware!:cheers: