PDA

View Full Version : Christopher's Ride - Please Help

mojo
05-25-2008, 09:12 PM
To My Fellow Kawanow Members.

I have been wanting to do something for people who are suffering from a debilitating disease such as cancer, leukemia, diabetes, etc. Our biker community currently has so many organized rides for charities that setting up one more I felt would be just one more in a crowded field to raise money. Instead I wanted to hit the emotional end of these personal wars that people fight - I want to lend emotional support to someone who is fighting a courageous battle. I want a ride that was personal and was done for one individual who is close to the bikers heart.

I know first hand just what it means to fight a disease while having friends who are there thinking of you and supporting you emotionally. It makes a HUGE difference in maintaining your will to fight on. This forum group is a perfect example of how bikers support one another.

With this in mind I have been kicking an idea around for a very long time and felt " it is time " to launch this idea, this year. So here it is.

Christopher's Ride:

On Sunday, July 20th 2008 the Nationwide Christopher's Ride will take place. Unlike other rides that motorcyclists participate in, the benefactor in the Christopher's Ride will be the person the BIKER selects. It can be a family member, friend, co-worker or anyone you know and want to select who is battling a debilitating disease. You can ride 10 miles or 500 miles. It is up to you, the Biker. It can be performed solo or in a group with other members of your ride party all riding for someone close to them.

If you do not have anyone close to you that has a debilitating disease then consider riding for a child who is in a hospital pediatrics unit in your home town. Maybe buy a teddy bear, strap it onto your pillion and take it on the ride with you and then later present it to the child explaining just where that bear rode with you to.

If you want to make a donation to a charity after your ride, select the charity that you want to support and send them a check with a note. If you want this to be a non monetary ride, then ride for them to provide emotional support only. Consider taking a picture during or after your ride and send it to that special person with a note letting them know this ride was for them.

There are no guidelines in regards to Christopher's Ride except that it is in support of an individual who is close to a bikers heart and not a charity. We also ask that if your riding solo, put down the rear pegs and take them with you ( in spirit ).

The whole purpose and intent of the Christopher's Ride is to share your love of biking with someone who is fighting a horrible disease. It is a way to give an individual a moment of freedom that we all experience while riding.

Fire up your bikes and Take a Christopher's Ride on July 20th.

Thank you,

Christopher

AKA - Mojo - Kawanow Member

ells
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks Chris, this sounds like a good idea. I take it that there is no more of a formal process or maybe web site for this, other than just do it, right? It could catch on. Are you promoting it elsewhere? It could be a real hook for a cross-bike-culture event or maybe just a Nomad thing?

mojo
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to see bikers take one ride a year and make it special for themselves and someone else.

I thought about this a long time ago, but a friend gave me the final kick in the butt to get this going. A while back he posted that he took a ride and did it for me when I was too sick to ride. It really made me feel so good inside to know someone was thinking of me and taking me along with them for a ride. To someone fighting horrible diseases, our days are filled with pain, sickness, chemo, meds and Doctors / Hospital visits. Many of us cannot ride and many more will never be able to ride. Through you, they can at least be a part of the biker community.

By having one person think of you during your battles and making it special by riding just for you, it provides an escape from the daily war with diseases. It gives you something money and donations cannot give you......hope and the will to fight on.

I know what it meant for me and wanted to encourage other bikers to put a smile on someones face and make them feel special by doing nothing more then saying " This rides for you ".

I am going to be talking with my son and informing him that the company he owns will be the sponsor behind " Christopher's Ride ". He knows if Big Daddy says so, he has to do it. :)
His sponsorship will include server space, software and a place bikers can come to post their experience and pictures of their Christopher Ride.

If the Lord's willing and the creek doesn't rise, I will take it Internationally for 2009 and begin marketing it heavily this fall. I plan on funding everything myself ( as long as the money holds out ).

Thanks everyone for all your support. You guys just rock..........
Please help me spread the word to other forums, clubs, groups, etc..

The Christopher's Ride this year will be on July 20th. From then on it will be the third Sunday of July every year.

Chris

jussmatt
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Chris....I think your idea is a GREAT one!! I lost my mother Jan. of '03 to Inflammatory Breast Cancer. She was 58 years old and in GREAT health...until this horible disease took her from us WAY before her time. She was a "free spirit" of sorts...but always too scared to ride a motorcycle, though I'm sure she would have loved it....as long as she didn't have to worry about wrecking!!! All that being said, I can't think of a better way, or time, to give her that ride than on July 20th!! She has become my Guardian Angle and I've even named my Nomad after her.... S.O.C.... pronounced like "Soocie"... stand for Spirit of Connie!

I know the horror's of fighting cancer first hand also....and you're right when you say that "hope" is what works more wonders than almost anything!! I'm glad to hear you still have HOPE and WILL.. and I'm glad you're still with us!!!

I look forward to spreading the word...and of course riding on July 20th!!!!

Ride Safe My Friend!

jussmatt
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Bump!!! Something worth remembering!!!

07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
July 20 we'll be riding down the mountain from Sequoia N.P. after our pre-ride ride. Should be a nice ride.

jussmatt
07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Cadd, Please have a safe and fun ride!!! I look forward to hearing about it!

07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Matt.

This is just a quick pre-ride and overnight at the lodge there, so we can check out the ride routes and facilities for the actual group ride on Oct 10, 11, 12.

I'll certainly post some photos though.

Blue Rebel
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Chris...I'm sorry to have missed this years, but I will definetly and have already marked down the 3rd Saturday of July for 2009, (July 18th).

coloradontexas
08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Neat idea. Lost a sister to brain cancer. she was twenty seven. She loved to ride. Thanks for the inspiration.