PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Rockies Ride - May 08

biscuitsngravy
05-23-2008, 01:12 AM
We just returned from our first Canadian Rockies motorcycle ride. We traveled 1180 miles from Kennewick, WA to Cranbrook, BC; Cranbrook, BC to Nakusp, BC via Lake Louise, Alberta; from Nakusp, BC to Tonasket, WA; and from Tonasket, WA back home to Kennewick, WA. We had three nights out, and four days of travel.

Bill Crook rode his Goldwing, pulling his new motorcycle trailer on it’s first major trip. I rode my Vulcan Nomad. My wife Donna drove our Chevy Trailblazer with Bill’s wife, Robin, riding shotgun.

We had some cloudy skies on Wednesday, but the rest of the trip was magnificent with bright sunny days. It gradually became warmer each day, with our final day reaching over 90 degrees.

We took off about 7:15 am on Wednesday morning (May 14th). We made it to Spokane, WA well before noon, visited the new Cabella’s Outfitters, Post Falls, ID, then went north through Sandpoint, ID. We reached the U.S./Canadian border and had no problems crossing into Canada. We reached Cranbrook, British Columbia in the early afternoon, where we stayed overnight at the Lazy Bear Motel. This modest motel was clean and friendly. Because we had lunch at a restaurant that day, we shared a pleasant picnic evening meal on a table outside our rooms. After dinner, we played “Sequence”, a board game brought by Bill and Robin.

The second day driving was the longest. From Cranbrook we headed further north and stopped and had a fine breakfast at a roadside restaurant. As we reached Kootenay National Park that morning, we realized that where we had seen the snow capped mountain peaks from a distance, now we began to travel among the snow capped peaks. They were beautiful and majestic. We traveled through high passes, by pristine lakes and rivers, through heavily forested areas, and over miles and miles of twisty highways. We stopped and had lunch at a little byway park that had picnic tables just before we reached Lake Louise, Alberta.

Lake Louise was beautiful, of course, but when we first saw it, we had quite a surprise. It was frozen over! We just didn’t expect that, as we only had seen pictures of a beautiful blue lake with snow capped peaks and glaciers reflected on the water. But it was still a sight to behold. We also toured the lobby of The Fairmont Lake Louise Chateau, a luxury hotel at the lake. Rates were $350.00 to $1200.00 Canadian dollars per night. Well…… we had many more miles to travel that day, and didn’t spend the night there.

The roads from Revelstoke to Nakusp, and from Nakusp to Castlegar (Highways 23 and 6) were the finest motorcycle roads I have personally ever traveled. Following the Arrow Lakes, along the Columbia River basin, the twists and turns seemed to go forever. Snow covered peaks reflected on great expanses of water at almost every turn. Bill’s altimeter recorded a high of over 5100 feet altitude. Small towns were few and far between. There was hardly any traffic whatsoever. We came up behind a logging truck which was struggling up a long incline, but he stopped and let us by after a short period.

We rode a free ferry across the water at one point. The water was almost glassy and the ride was calm and smooth. Again, the mountains and reflections were magnificent.

Heading west and then south, we arrived at our destination at the Huckleberry Inn, Nakusp, BC about 6:30 pm that evening. This quaint little four-room rural establishment was fun to stay at. Each room was different than the others. You might say that it was tastefully decorated in “early yard sale”. The Huckleberry Inn was very pleasant, clean, and roomy.

That evening, we dined at the 118 year old historic Leland Hotel, while looking over the lake. The food was excellent. Nakusp, BC was a center of mining and boat building enterprises during the late 1880’s.

We were awakened the next morning with bright sunshine and a robin pecking on our windows. Apparently, he was calling us to get started on our next leg of the trip.
We stopped for breakfast at a restaurant that specialized in healthful foods. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant or the town where it was located, but it was a pleasant place with very healthy looking staff. We ate eggs from “free range” chickens. After breakfast, we had a strange sensation of wanting to run around outside and pecking at bugs.

We crossed the U.S./Canadian border before noon on Friday (May 16th). The U.S. Border Patrol seemed glad to talk to us. Bill’s trailer was searched, but they did not find any contraband or more than $10,000.00 in cash, so he was waved forward. While talking with the border guard, I found that he had retired from the U.S. Air Force, just like me. He asked me why I had “BiscuitsNGravy” written on a patch of my vest. I explained that it was a nickname because when I travel with my biker friends, we stop for breakfast and I usually order biscuits and gravy. We compared notes about our experiences in the Air Force and he waved me through. When Donna and Robin drove up to the window, the guard asked them who belonged to “BiscuitsNGravy”. Later in their conversation, Donna told him that they were trying to catch Bill and I, but only caught up with us at gas stations and restaurants.

We arrived at Dale and Diana Whitworth’s mountain home near Tonasket, WA just about lunch time. Their home is located high on a mountain and we had planned on parking our bikes at a neighbor’s place that was closer to the highway. Dale and Diana met us at the highway and led us up to the neighbor’s home. We had not counted on the gravel road being so steep and the corners so sharp. I made it up the hill without problems, but Bill had the extra weight of his trailer which caused him to lose traction on a sharp/steep turn. When we came back to find out what had happened, we found his beautiful Goldwing laying on it’s side. The bike (and Bill) was not harmed, but there is something about a motorcycle laying on it’s side that just doesn’t go well with a biker’s plan of happiness.

We righted the Goldwing and unhooked the trailer so we could park them in a safe spot and come back for them after our visit. The road had a locked gate near the highway, and Bill’s machine was not readily visible from there. It would be safe for the night.

Once at Dale and Diana’s home, we began to relax and enjoy their hospitality. Their home sits on a plateau overlooking an expansive valley. Further away, we could see the Canadian Rockies. Their home is unique because most of their everyday electricity comes as a gift from the sun. They have satellite television, wireless internet, lights, and a toaster, all powered by collection of the sun’s rays. They also have an electric generator, but it only comes on during unusual circumstances. Their refrigerator, cook stove, and on-demand hot water heater are powered by propane.

Their home has an open veranda that looks out over a spacious valley and mountains far beyond. After a delicious spaghetti dinner, we sat and talked in hushed tones while we watched the sun set in the west.

As we were very tired from the events of the day, we retired early to a new guest room that was recently completed by the Whitworth’s. The next morning Diana made us a breakfast of corned beef hash and eggs before we packed up and said our goodbyes. Their hospitality was unmatched and we love and thank them.

Bill hooked up his trailer and got down the steep hill without any problems. Dale and Diana were waving as we headed out on the highway.

As we got closer to home, the temperature became warmer and warmer. It was downright hot! I had not been drinking as much water as I should have, and I became dehydrated and somewhat disoriented at one point. I nearly ran off the road on a curve but was able to avoid a mishap. I hope to never have that happen again. Always drink lots of water!!

We arrived at our homes about 3:30 pm on Saturday (May 17th). It was a great ride and a great opportunity to enjoy the majesty of the Canadian Rockies and God’s gift to us all.

If you would like to see some photos of the trip, click on:
http://canadianrockiesride.synthasite.com/

My 06 Nomad never missed a beat on the whole trip. What a great bike!

Ride on, ride safe my Kawanow brothers and sisters!
Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy

05-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Great write up and great pics BNG! Sounds like a great time with some good memories. Thats what its all about man.

ells
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Great report on what looks and sounds like was a fantastic trip. Beautiful country and thanks for the pics to round it out. That trailer does look a little hefty.

waterman
05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Sounds like you had a fun time BnG. Always good to hear about territory you haven't seen.

ringadingh
05-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear you had a good trip. Its beautiful going through the Rockies, I was there twice in the mid 70,s The roads between Lake Louise and Kamloops are breathtaking. I hope to get back out there some day. Very nice writeup and pics of the trip.

dantama
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Good write up. If I could write like that I'd try to get some of my trips published in magazines. I can take a picture, but can't write like that.

It was good reading. Good pics too.

justbrian
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
that was a great trip report, loved the photos. That trailer resembles a shinny tank.

lomax
05-23-2008, 11:42 PM
BnG ....terrific write up on your trip. Sure glad you enjoyed your ride through my "back yard".... :)

Mike

audiogooroo
05-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Nice report, great pics!
Glad you had a good time.

n9151
05-27-2008, 10:07 PM
BnG: just read a review in the Good Sam "Highways" magazine about the "Selkirk Loop." Ever been on that ride? If so, any suggestions? I may just head up that way in a couple of weeks

rlfaubion
05-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your excellent report

biscuitsngravy
06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
To n9151,
That was my first bike trip into Canada, but hopefully not the last. I have no knowledge of the Selkirk Loop, but would like to hear about it. Good luck on your ride.

We might meet up someday. I am moving to Gowrie, IA next week. Am looking forward to a slower pace in life, but ready to explore the midwest on my Nomad.
BnG

To others....... thanks for your comments about the write-up and photos!

buck
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you for the write up. I plan to ride Lake Louise at some point. Great pictures, glad you made it home safely. Buck