PDA

View Full Version : Installing new tires

barticus73
03-17-2014, 05:01 AM
The Vaquero is my first big cruiser and I bought it last year. It is due for new tires already and at the advice of many on this forum I plan on going with the Michelin Commander II's. My question is, where do you guys go to get your tires? Looking at prices I see a wide range in listed price for the tires online and then you have to find someone to install them. Do you guys change the tires yourself? What are expected prices to ride into a shop to have your tires replaced? Is there much of a benefit to take the wheels of the bike at home and take just the wheels in to a shop? I looked at my local dealer and they list the same Michelin tires for $100 per tire more than say Motorcycle Superstore for example.

Looking for advice on the best way to do this.

Cynic
03-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Most dealerships wont install tires unless bought at their store. Find a small shop that wants work and ask about on bike vs off bike pricing. I've seen it where the difference wasn't worth the extra time and effort to me

redjay
03-17-2014, 06:28 AM
I take my wheels off and take them to a guy to install the tires I have bought elsewhere. He charges $30 per wheel to install and balance.

Bud2rat
03-17-2014, 07:23 AM
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Try this site, they have some great prices with free shipping.

tonik
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I buy them online, pull the wheel and take it in myself. Never had a dealer refuse to do it. They whine a little, I get that but as you said the price difference is huge. I try and support them but a hundred bucks is a big swing.

cnc
03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
I have mine done at a Honda dealer I know. He tries to be fairly competive tire wise with what I see on line. I simply pointed out, he could have all of the pie, part of the pie, or none of the pie, so he preferred to make just a little on the tires and get the job than get nothing.

ringadingh
03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
I do my own tire changes, once the wheel is off the bike it takes me about 20-30 minutes to change the tire and balance it.

VulcanE
03-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I take my wheel/tire off and take it and my new tire to a guy 1/4 mile down the street to install. He charges $10 per wheel to install and balance, but I use dynabeads, he removes them from the old tire, and puts them in the new tire before he seats the bead.

nomadtom69
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/3790/Michelin-Motorcycle-Tires this is where I got mine at best price I could find at time found a shop that was having hard time getting the Commander II said if I could get them he would mount them with them still on bike he removed the old and installed the old mounted and balanced them for $80 I did not think that was bad the same ones I put on my bike are about $242 for both from Rocky Mtn. I used the 130-90-16 on front and the 150-80-16 on rear they handle great

barticus73
03-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Well, I found a shop that will mount the tires if I bring the wheels in off the bike. Now the next step, what tools do I need to do this on a Vaquero? I plan on buying the Harbor Freight 1500# jack. I see I need a 22mm axle wrench for the front axle, a belt tention tool, anything else special? What size is the rear axle nut? Any tips for removing both wheels at the same time on this model jack? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated :D

highwayman2011
03-18-2014, 01:52 PM
The tool kit should have the 22mm in it for the front axle. I didn't do both at once, did the front then the back. Took the shocks off so I could drop the back wheel down and loosen the belt.

tonik
03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Took the shocks off so I could drop the back wheel down and loosen the belt.

So for my own pending tire change and to help clarify....just dropping the shocks gave you enough play in the belt to get the wheel off? And when it all went back together the belt was back in adjustment? That would be nifty.

barticus73
03-18-2014, 07:10 PM
The tool kit should have the 22mm in it for the front axle. I didn't do both at once, did the front then the back. Took the shocks off so I could drop the back wheel down and loosen the belt.

I looked in my toolkit under the seat and all it had was screwdrivers and open end wrenches.....

tonik
03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I looked in my toolkit under the seat and all it had was screwdrivers and open end wrenches.....

Wasn't one in my Voyager either. However I still have the tool I bought for my Nomad after trashing the useless thing Kawasaki gave me when I bought that. 10 bucks, rock solid and lets you use a torque wrench properly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W82PGS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

c_law23
03-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I order tires from Revzilla.com, always much cheaper than the stores. Getting my front changed out at Iron Pony wasn't too bad but they want $80!!!! to replace the rear. Think I'll be going elsewhere.

tonik
03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
I order tires from Revzilla.com, always much cheaper than the stores. Getting my front changed out at Iron Pony wasn't too bad but they want $80!!!! to replace the rear. Think I'll be going elsewhere.

Is that on the bike? That isn't bad really. And howdy neighbor!

cactusjack
03-18-2014, 08:12 PM
So for my own pending tire change and to help clarify....just dropping the shocks gave you enough play in the belt to get the wheel off? And when it all went back together the belt was back in adjustment? That would be nifty.

I don't think it's that simple. If you remove the rear wheel, you'll have to retension the belt again upon installation.

yoda
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Umm, you need to pull the axle to get the wheel off. The axle is through the adjusters, which means there is no way to avoid re-adjusting the tension on the belt. What I always do on chain/belt drives is to mark the spots on both sides of the swing arm before removing the wheel. That gives a pretty good starting point when going together.

jd521
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Just had my front tire changed today at a local shop. He charged $ 65.00 plus tax. Bought the front Michelin Commander II at Chaparral Motorsports for about $120.00. 8900 miles on the front with only 4500 miles on the back for the stock Bridgestone's . I have Commander II's now on , so we will see how much the back tire goes. Already has about 4400 miles on it and looks extremely fine. I think the riders here on this forum are right about this tire being the wisest selection for VV and Vaqueros.

tonik
03-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you Yoda and Jack. I figured it would need adjusting, but it was worth a try. :) Not a big deal, I have done all of that many times. Did my neighbor's 900 Custom last year, no problem at all. Just have not tore into this bike much yet. Got it at the end of the season last year. Got one trip in on it before the snow flew. It just finally melted this week.

barticus73
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
I just bought a set of Commander II's from http://www.americanmototire.com/, (180/65B-16M/C 81 Rear and 130/90-16M/C 73H Front) for $287.55 out the door with free shipping. This was the best price online I was able to find.

I also bought the harbor freight 1500# lift and ordered the front axle tool & belt tension tool on Amazon. Hopefully I am all set for the wheel removal's now........

Another question: When you take the wheel to the shop, do you guys remove the brake rotors & belt pulley from the wheels first or just leave them on?

recumbentbob
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I leave them on. They don't interfere with my guys tire machine.