PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Northeast US / Eastern Canada Rally: Bretton Woods Canopy Tour

tomm
01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
If you've had a chance to request and look through both the rally package and the ride package for the 2014 combined Northeast US / Eastern Canada Rally this coming August, then you already know that we have some great rides planned and that we are staying in an area with an abundance of things to do. If you haven't seen the packages yet, PM either CNC or Fish with your email address for a copy.

The two group rides are planned for Tuesday and Thursday, with Wednesday being a "do your own thing" day. For those that would like to explore New England a little bit more on Wednesday, there are six self-guided rides that are included in the ride package.

But for those that might like to try something a little different, I am looking to see how many might be interested in doing the Bretton Woods Canopy Tour. This is a 2-1/2 to 3 hour tour from the top of the Bretton Woods Ski Area to the Base, descending 1000 feet over 9 zip lines, 2 sky bridges (50 feet high) and 3 rappels (9 - 65 feet) . . . totally in the tree canopy. The longest zip lines are over 800 feet long, and over 160 feet off the ground, starting and ending on circular platforms built around the tree trunks of large hemlocks over 70 feet above the forest floor. The tours consist of two guides and up to eight participants. I've done it, and it is great fun.

Of course this is something that anyone can do on their own, but if there is enough interest, we can organize it as a group tour. This should allow us to receive a discount.

In order to discuss the possibilities with the Tour Center, I will need to know a rough number of people that might be interested in doing this. If you think you might, please post back to this thread.

Bretton Woods is located about 25 miles / 35 minutes northeast of the motel on route 302, a little east of Twin Mountain and across from the Mt. Washington Hotel.

Finally, I've added a link to the Canopy Tour Web Site if you want more information or to see a video of the tour.

http://brettonwoods.com/activities/canopy_tour/overview

Tom

Top Cat
01-28-2014, 04:25 PM
If it was just zip lines I would be interested Tom but sky bridges and rappels are not my thing.
Cindy and I did a couple zip line tours here in NY but we just walked between the zip lines.

Thanks for all the time and work you have put into this rally so far. Great job:tup:

sly
01-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Sounds cool, I’m in :D

cnc
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm in Tom, not sure on Cheryl, she's a maybe.

Top Cat
01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm in Tom, not sure on Cheryl, she's a Cutie.

Is that any way to talk about your wife, geeezz Norm :ohno:

cnc
01-28-2014, 08:14 PM
What you talking about Tim?:tehe:

Top Cat
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
What you talking about Tim?:tehe:

Good move :D

Blueraven
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I am interested. Sounds good. Price?

cnc
03-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I am interested. Sounds good. Price?

Rhys, Tom is working on a special group price, but needs some numbers first if I'm not mistaken.

tomm
03-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Rhys, Tom is working on a special group price, but needs some numbers first if I'm not mistaken.

Hi Rhys - Was planning on bumping this thread over the next couple of weeks now that the weather is getting better . . . HA, HA, but you just saved me the trouble. Thanks. Tom

I want to re-start things in April with Bretton Woods as the ski season is winding down, but will need some indication of a headcount. I spoke with them last fall about our group, including getting a good group discount, and I believe that can be arranged, but premature to share any details. However, I will include you as a possibility (no commit on your part at this time), and I do understand that price may sway some decisions.

All that being said, I have it on pretty grounds that warmer weather really is approaching and riding season really will be here shortly (in spite of the possible snow storm we may get around here on Wednesday). And if it just seems too difficult to get into the riding mood with all that white stuff still on the ground, maybe it will help to dust off the information on the upcoming Northeast Canada, Eastern US rally this August. I know that Larry, Norm and Tim are working on putting together a great rally for us this year (no pressure guys). If you haven't requested the Rally and Ride Packages yet, I would encourage you do to do so by sending either Larry or Norm a PM.

As part of that, anyone attending the rally really might want to consider the Bretton Woods Zip Line Canopy Tour as a nice change of pace on Wednesday between what should be a couple of great rides on Tuesday and Thursday. All the information can be found in the link at the beginning of this thread, and the Rally Presentation includes some additional pictures and two short videos. If you do it, I can assure you it will be a great day and one you won't soon forget.

If interested, please reply back to this thread. Like I said, I expect to talk with Bretton Woods in a couple of weeks and would like to get a feel for the number of people that would be interested. I'll update the first post of this thread with an on-going list of those that have expressed an interest.