PDA

View Full Version : Ride to the mountains

cactusjack
05-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Today a few of us rode up to Show Low, AZ, in the White Mountains. This is a great ride of around 350 miles. We met in Gilbert and rode out US 60 to Globe. From Globe, we proceeded on US-60 through the Salt River Canyon. The Salt River Canyon drops 2000' in about 3 miles. It's steep and has lots of switchbacks. It's a fun ride, but getting stuck behind a semi takes most of the fun out of it. Then once you're at the bottom, you cross the river and climb 2000' up the other side. Show Low is in the pines, at 6330'. It was a gorgeous day in the area and the fresh pine air is always a treat. We ate lunch at a mexican cafe and then after filling up the tanks, we started down SR260 towards Payson. We stopped at a place called the Red Onion in Heber for a quick beer and then continued on to Payson. As we got closer to Payson, the temperature started climbing. At about 4000', it was in the high 90's in Payson, and we knew it was going to be a hot 80 miles back to the valley. About 15 miles S of Payson, the highway was damaged by spring runoff and they have both directions of traffic routed through the northbound side of the road, while the southbound lanes are being repaired. This detour, along with heavy Sunday afternoon traffic made for about a 30-minute time-waster as we cooked, just inching along for 4 or 5 miles. Once traffic got moving again, we high-tailed it back to the Valley, where it was a blistering 105 this afternoon. My legs were getting burned by the gas tank. We stopped along the way for another round of beers and then headed for home. It was a fun day with some good people but it made me wish I lived in the mountains.

dantama
05-19-2008, 08:34 AM
I wish Scotty could beam me over so I could ride with you guys. Any pics?

cactusjack
05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I wish Scotty could beam me over so I could ride with you guys. Any pics?

Yeah, I have a few. I'll post them this evening after I get home. There were only 4 bikes on this ride, my Nomad, my buddy's 1500 Classic, a Suzi C50T and a Saxon chopper.

My bike ran exceptionally well from Globe to Payson. I think the combination of higher altitudes and cooler air made the difference. Virtually no pinging at all. As soon as I got back to the valley, the pinging was back even with 91 octane.

cactusjack
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Here's a group photo, taken by an innocent passer-by: (L-R Ron, Jude, CJ, Bill1, Bill2)
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Show%20Low%20Ride/highres_4172053.jpg

If you're ever in Show Low, I highly recommend this place (folks, they couldn't make that statement if it weren't true):
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Show%20Low%20Ride/highres_4172120.jpg

A pic of yours truly at the bottom of Salt River Canyon:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Show%20Low%20Ride/highres_4175452.jpg

No trip to Salt River Canyon would be complete without a picture of...The Salt River:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Show%20Low%20Ride/highres_4175445.jpg

The view across the canyon:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Show%20Low%20Ride/highres_4175442.jpg

I'll have to ask Jude if she took any pictures once we got up in the pines.

05-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Wow! That takes me back. We used to go down there in my Dad's old Scout back when I was about nine. I don't recall ever seeing that much water in the Salt river though.

MarkG
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
CJ, you were lucky coming back later in the afternoon. A friend of mine said there were at least two bikes in an accident around noon on the stretch from Payson to Phoenix. No details, other than they possibly helicoptered one of the riders. Traffic was at a complete standstill for over an hour.

My friends had plenty of water with them unlike many of the other motorists. It's a good reminder, for the ones of us in the high heat areas, to carry extra water in case we get tied up in one of these traffic pileups. Dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke come on pretty fast.

cactusjack
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Wow! That takes me back. We used to go down there in my Dad's old Scout back when I was about nine. I don't recall ever seeing that much water in the Salt river though.

We had a lot of snow in the mountains this year. All the Salt River reservoirs are at or near full capacity this spring.

ringadingh
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Looks like a real nice place for a ride, Although at a 105, how the heck does the beer stay cold for more than a minute.

05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Gotta chug!

cactusjack
05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
CJ, you were lucky coming back later in the afternoon. A friend of mine said there were at least two bikes in an accident around noon on the stretch from Payson to Phoenix. No details, other than they possibly helicoptered one of the riders. Traffic was at a complete standstill for over an hour.

My friends had plenty of water with them unlike many of the other motorists. It's a good reminder, for the ones of us in the high heat areas, to carry extra water in case we get tied up in one of these traffic pileups. Dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke come on pretty fast.

I was just reading the message board for the Phoenix Motorcycle Riders Group, which is one of the clubs I ride with and the accident you are referring to involved that club. A group was returning from brunch in Payson when one of the riders hit a piece of wood laying in the road. There were riders in front that report seeing no debris, so the assumption is the wood fell off the back of a truck. He hit the wood and went into the guardrail. He has already had his left leg amputated at the knee and they are trying to save his left arm. The man would have probably died at the scene from massive blood loss, had it not been for a group of American Legion riders from Tempe who happened to pass by. God bless them!

I am not sure I know this man personally, all I know is he is a newer member of the club.

Folks, this is a sobering reminder of the dangers inherant in riding. A couple of witnesses said there was nothing this guy could have done to avoid this. He is an experienced rider and was riding safely and responsibly. One second the wood wasn't there wasn't there, the next second it was. I can't stress this enough...Please be careful out there!

hollywood
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
My friends had plenty of water with them unlike many of the other motorists. It's a good reminder, for the ones of us in the high heat areas, to carry extra water in case we get tied up in one of these traffic pileups. Dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke come on pretty fast.[/quote]

I totally agree with Markg - I too live where you have to really worry about the heat. I have a soft sided cooler that I bungee to the luggage rack to carry water and ice. It has saved my a$$ more than once. You never know whata you might encounter.

Hope that rider that went down will be ok.....