PDA

View Full Version : Travel booked for Orofino rally

cactusjack
01-14-2014, 05:34 PM
I just booked all my lodging for the Orofino rally. I'll be leaving Saturday the 19th of July and will arrive in Orofino on Monday the 21st. I'll be staying in Beaver UT and Boise ID along the way. I chose to go up I-15 in Utah because it seems more appealing than going up through Nevada in July.

On the return trip, I'll be staying in Bozeman MT, then on to Salt Lake City for two nights to visit some friends and family. Then I'll ride to Flagstaff and spend the night there before I ride the 180 miles to home (hopefully) before it gets too hot.

Just under $1000 in lodging for 10 nights on the road.

blowndodge
01-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Dave Marie and I are traveling up 395 on Friday the 18th and staying the first night in Bridgeport Ca. Saturday traveling to Nampa Idaho and Sunday arriving in Orofino. The way home TBD...

waterman
01-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Plans are to ride up to Cody, Wy the first day. Nothing but ground pounding that day. Next day ride to Red Lodge, MT and then ride Beartooth Pass and then to Cooke City and spend the night in Bozeman or Billings. Next day on to Orofino.

Idaho
01-15-2014, 07:39 AM
I've not made travel plans to get there yet. I just plan to leave early and get there that evening, somehow. :-)

Netnorske
01-15-2014, 09:09 AM
I just booked all my lodging for the Orofino rally. I'll be leaving Saturday the 19th of July and will arrive in Orofino on Monday the 21st. I'll be staying in Beaver UT and Boise ID along the way. I chose to go up I-15 in Utah because it seems more appealing than going up through Nevada in July.

On the return trip, I'll be staying in Bozeman MT, then on to Salt Lake City for two nights to visit some friends and family. Then I'll ride to Flagstaff and spend the night there before I ride the 180 miles to home (hopefully) before it gets too hot.

Just under $1000 in lodging for 10 nights on the road.

Scott,
You will enjoy that run up 55 north out of Boise up through McCall, but be careful as it has some tight, high speed curves and the cagers are scary through parts of it. 95 north to Grangevillle is a really great ride along the Salmon River (long 60+ mph sweepers)....and from Grangeville, 13 over to Hwy 12 is a real gem along the South Fork Clearwater. You will enjoy every second of your run once you get north of Boise....:tup:. If time allowed however...you should cut north on 75 near Twin Falls....ride up through Stanley over to Challis, ID...then north up 93 to Lolo before shooting Lolo Pass down into Orofino. You would think you died and were riding in heaven...truly God's country up that way...I can never get enough of it...:yep:.

cactusjack
01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Kris,

I'm going to be on a fairly tight schedule and probably won't have time for scenic detours. I had to do this in order to squeeze in an extra day in Salt Lake City.

I am going to really pound the ground to get to Orofino, but the return trip will be somewhat more leisurely, as I plan to go through Bozeman and the Island Park Idaho area on my way to Salt Lake. I may stop in Idaho Falls to see some relatives if I'm making good time. After I leave Salt Lake, I am taking US-89 through central Utah instead of I-15 and will spend that night in Flagstaff. That leaves me about a 2.5 hour ride back to Casa de CJ, and I hope to be home before it reaches 105°.

Dave
01-15-2014, 12:34 PM
....., then on to Salt Lake City for two nights to visit some friends and family. ...

They're not skipping town that week?

cactusjack
01-15-2014, 12:40 PM
They're not skipping town that week?

Who knows...they might when they find out I'll be in the area!

rickyboy
01-15-2014, 02:40 PM
I better take a page out of you're guys book and start planning. I'd love to see the old friends I've made through VBA and make some new ones.
I still need to book a room!!! Hope there are some left.

waterman
01-15-2014, 03:13 PM
I better take a page out of you're guys book and start planning. I'd love to see the old friends I've made through VBA and make some new ones.
I still need to book a room!!! Hope there are some left.

11 left last I knew.

Dave
01-15-2014, 04:18 PM
11 left last I knew.

What kind of grammar is this? You be talking no good.

waterman
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
What kind of grammar is this? You be talking no good.

Ok grammar queen.:P

There were 11 rooms left at the hotel the last I knew.

Better?>:(

dshelly
01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Plans are to ride up to Cody, Wy the first day. Nothing but ground pounding that day. Next day ride to Red Lodge, MT and then ride Beartooth Pass and then to Cooke City and spend the night in Bozeman or Billings. Next day on to Orofino.

Hey Joel, If you're staying in Cooke City, Going to Billings would be back tracking. If you go through the N side of the Park you would come out at Gardiner then up to Livingston . If you do that take the river side of the road, that's a nice ride. From Livingston it's only 20 Miles to Bozeman.

Oh, I think Landman is staying Sun night in Bozeman.

landman
01-15-2014, 05:27 PM
landman will definitely be in Bozeman on sunday night

waterman
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Hey Joel, If you're staying in Cooke City, Going to Billings would be back tracking. If you go through the N side of the Park you would come out at Gardiner then up to Livingston . If you do that take the river side of the road, that's a nice ride. From Livingston it's only 20 Miles to Bozeman.

Oh, I think Landman is staying Sun night in Bozeman.

Thanks for catch. It will be Butte, MT and not Billings. This damn cold is still kicking me. I was thinking of Bozeman or Butte depending upon time of day.

Google maps has it as 5 hours of drive time from Cody to Bozeman so we shall see. Stopping in Bozeman would make a 380 mile day into Orofino.

dshelly
01-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Google maps has it as 5 hours of drive time from Cody to Bozeman so we shall see. Stopping in Bozeman would make a 380 mile day into Orofino.

Yep, 2 hrs of that will be in Yellowstone dodging the Oriental Tourists. :lol:

Netnorske
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Geez Joel....you say that like it's 380 light years...buck up Cupcake...:lmao::P:D!

waterman
01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Geez Joel....you say that like it's 380 light years...buck up Cupcake...:lmao::P:D!

You make it sound like I'm Brad. :wtf: 380 miles is a nice day ride. Could even schedule it so I hit Lolo at noon and pretest Jack's.

Netnorske
01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
You make it sound like I'm Brad. :wtf: 380 miles is a nice day ride. Could even schedule it so I hit Lolo at noon and pretest Jack's.

I figured you, Dave and Landman might do a little drive-by on the place. I sure would...:tup:!

blowndodge
01-15-2014, 10:38 PM

like that massive ride you took the Estes Park???? :bird:

dshelly
01-15-2014, 10:45 PM
I figured you, Dave and Landman might do a little drive-by on the place. I sure would...:tup:!

That's what I was thinking. :cheers:

caribou
01-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Yep, 2 hrs of that will be in Yellowstone dodging the Oriental Tourists. :lol:

Did that last summer on the way to Cody and Red Lodge. Never again. Got to be a better route.

wanderer
01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/gene-k/OrofinoRally.jpg

Here is my planned route.
1st day to Albert Lea, Iowa.
2nd day to Miles City, Montana.
3rd day to Orofino, Idaho.

Going home.
1st day to Hurricane, Utah.
2nd day to home.

Netnorske
01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Gene...remind me to never travel cross-country with you. You cover some serious pavement!

waterman
01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Gene...remind me to never travel cross-country with you. You cover some serious pavement!

I thought your Victory could do it easily.:bs::cheers:

wanderer
01-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Well, I am taking it easy on the way up to Idaho. I won't do any serious riding until the trip home.

Netnorske
01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I thought your Victory could do it easily.:bs::cheers:

The bike could do it easily....but thousand mile days and my name will never be spoken in the same sentence....:ohno::crazy::D. I could easily make a weeks trip out of Gene's route....:cheers:!

Badger: Black Hills
01-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Hey Joel, sounds like a great ride. Ruth and I will be at the rally, and I would like to do Beartooth again also. However if I am coming from Cody I would take Chief Joseph Highway up to Beartooth rather than going all the way to Red Lodge. Up from Redlodge is pretty much just switchbacks (although you can feed the chipmunks at a nice parking area half-way up) while Chief Joseph has tremendous views and sweepers, with good parking at overlooks. In case you are not familiar with it, it is north of Cody (toward Red Lodge) on 120 for 17 miles then left on 296 (Chief Joseph). At the top turn right to go to the Top of the World store (10 miles?) a great ride and better prices on t-shirts than in Red Lodge. Maybe we will see you in Cody!

usranger74
05-13-2014, 03:06 PM
My work with FEMA is going to end just in time for me to get home and take care of a few things and then hit the road. I will hit the road on 6/29. My first night will be in Simla, CO then on to Pikes Peak with a night two in Saguache, CO then on to Grand Junction via the Grand Mesa for night 3. Night 4 I will be in Mesa Vered will I will spend a week doing day trips and maybe one overnight trip. On 7/10 I will start working my way west and then north meeting up with Cliff on 7/19. Between 7/10 and 7/19 I will vist Logan, UT (went to school there) and spend two or three days in Boise where I will do some day trips. I feel the need to ride.:tup:

blowndodge
05-13-2014, 03:56 PM
This is good news Bill !!

landman
05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
:tup: look forward to seeing you there Bill.