PDA

View Full Version : Still riding ?

GIBBY
10-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Yesterday was a beautiful day for riding in southeastern MN. Sunny with a high temperature around 60 degrees and a light southwest breeze. I left home at 12:00 noon and spent the next 5 hours riding some of my favorite twisted roads. Really put my Vic through it paces dragging the boards on some of the curves, not an easy thing to do with these Cross Series bikes. Also turned over 14,000 miles on the new bike. Sure hope some of my fellow NCR members are still riding and enjoying the late fall weather. Be alert, cagers are not looking for motorcycles as much this time of year.

blowndodge
10-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Absolutely! Ride all year round Mike!

Dave
10-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Absolutely! Ride all year round Mike!

Doesn't everyone? :lmao:

jendesigner
10-28-2013, 10:51 AM
I really enjoy this time of year riding. Cold does not effect me until under 20 or so :-) Rode to work this morning it was 32. With bar chaps, windshield and lowers the cold is not a issue. (been riding all year without windshield, I love the bike that way). Did a long weekend ride last week, it was in the upper 40's but had rain for two days and fog one morning, that takes fun out of it. No ice, snow or salt, I'll keep riding.

cactusjack
10-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh ya, you betcha I'm still riding there, guy. :tup:

manban9888
10-28-2013, 02:54 PM
One of my favorite things about living in Florida is being able to ride year round. This is actually the best time of year to ride and I ride just about every day. My wife says she's happy it's my only vice.

markclark57
10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
This is the time of year that makes riding in desert summer heat worth it +++.:P:yep::lol:

GIBBY
10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Apparently people from outside the NCR have VERY POOR reading apprehension skills.

jendesigner
10-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Apparently people from outside the NCR have VERY POOR reading apprehension skills.

I figured it was all the heat they live in that makes reading harder for them :-)

cactusjack
10-28-2013, 04:19 PM

I can read just fine. I just don't care. :P

markclark57
10-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Our poor reading skills are directly offset by our "ride all year in awesome weather" and "teasing 6 month a year frozen rider" skills. :lmao:

Kevinhyland
10-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Defiantly ride 12 months a year in Cali, love it.

manban9888
10-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Gibby, I had pretty good "apprehension" skills before I retired:D Anyway, you clock more miles than most riders I know from down here.

cactusjack
10-28-2013, 07:49 PM

It would appear people from the NCR have VERY POOR reading comprehension skills. :lmao:

rayski271
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I will be when i get bike back till then its the cage

spil99
10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Still riding. Got in a little ride on sunday.Not much free time this weekend

glwilson
10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
We haven't had the 60 degree weather you have had Mike. It has been considerably cooler here... sometimes only in the mid to high 40's.

Sunday would have been a good day, but had too much to do.

I am not giving up on a possible few days yet in November; but I am not riding in the weather Jen rides. Not fun for me...:D

rayski271
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
hey mike ive got my weekends back bid on new job started today i have weekends and hoildays off now all i need is the bike and im ready to ride again

Top Cat
10-28-2013, 09:20 PM
hey mike ive got my weekends back bid on new job started today i have weekends and hoildays off now all i need is the bike and im ready to ride again

Uhmmm, what happened to the bike this time http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/images/icons/icon55.gif

davidhollinger
10-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Still riding down south guys and gals. High tomorrow is 78 after a 55 degree start. Love the fall. Ride on.

GIBBY
10-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Our poor reading skills are directly offset by our "ride all year in awesome weather" and "teasing 6 month a year frozen rider" skills. :lmao:

I guess you can't fix stupid.

GIBBY
10-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Glad to hear you are back on a "normal" schedule. I am sure you have another "kick back" job :D:D

BigRed
10-29-2013, 11:08 AM
I will be riding until the first snow of the year. Then the bike goes into storage until March/April.

Godfather
10-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Rode to a local bike night last night. Perfect weather here in Georgia. Not riding too much on weekends right now. In the woods thinning out the deer herd.

rayski271
10-29-2013, 05:54 PM
tim i was rear ended three days before i left for antlers rally bent my rear fender broke rear header pipe so all thats being fixed now bad year for the bike 2013 has been

blowndodge
10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess you can't fix stupid.

Hey if motorcycle riders want to live in the frozen tundra...so be it Mike! :lmao:

Rasta
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Still riding here....ride to work almost everyday. Got rain coming tomorrow so wont ride until it is outta here! What sucks about tomorrow is, its supposed to be in the mid 60's which would have been a nice temp for a ride. Oh well, no snow at least!!

Top Cat
10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
tim i was rear ended three days before i left for antlers rally bent my rear fender broke rear header pipe so all thats being fixed now bad year for the bike 2013 has been

Oh, sorry to hear that Ray.
Your right , 2013 has been a bad one for your bike.

rickyboy
10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Hey if motorcycle riders want to live in the frozen tundra...so be it Mike! :lmao:

Still riding weather here in the Great North West/Cariboo Regional Dist. :P

GIBBY
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Left work early today and spent 3 hours riding. Temp was 50 degrees with a sunny sky. Great riding weather for Nov. 1st in MN

ponch
11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
We haven't had the 60 degree weather you have had Mike. It has been considerably cooler here... sometimes only in the mid to high 40's.

Sunday would have been a good day, but had too much to do.

I am not giving up on a possible few days yet in November; but I am not riding in the weather Jen rides. Not fun for me...:D

You need to winter down here. :D

cactusjack
11-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Yessir, there's lots of places Greg could trailer his bike around here in the winter! :lmao:

blowndodge
11-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Yessir, there's lots of places Greg could trailer his bike around here in the winter! :lmao: :lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao:

glwilson
11-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Yessir, there's lots of places Greg could trailer his bike around here in the winter! :lmao:

I have been giving that some thought more lately... I could do my work from just about anywhere these days. Not sure what is keeping me from doing so.

I will ignore CJ and BD's comments. They are jerks...:P:D

ponch
11-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I have been giving that some thought more lately... I could do my work from just about anywhere these days. Not sure what is keeping me from doing so.

I will ignore CJ and BD's comments. They are jerks...:P:D

You'd have more riding that you know what to do with and if you can take the heat, you can ride year round. Even in the summer, morning rides aren't bad.

glwilson
11-02-2013, 11:34 AM
You'd have more riding that you know what to do with and if you can take the heat, you can ride year round. Even in the summer, morning rides aren't bad.

If I would ever do it, I would probably go back and forth from the Midwest to AZ.

Around here today the weather is not pleasant enough to enjoy taking a ride. Wet and chilly. My bike is winterized and stored for the winter -- although I could pull it out quickly if we get a freak warm-spell. We have had them before...:cheers:

(On another note Jim... there is a new documentary coming-out on Kennedy this Monday. I read some of their assumptions and do not agree with their assessment. They are making the same mistakes others have made assuming certain "facts" that have been disproved with modern technology time and time again. I'll probably watch it though. I am sure it will stir the conspiracy-pot again and sell more ads because of it -- which is what they ultimately are doing -- making money. Everyone likes a good conspiracy. :D)

Silent Sam
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
...I Do If I Can And Would If I Could...having experienced several bout's of Frost Bite, and a heat Stroke, I'm stuck in a "comfort zone" of between about 65 degrees...and 85 degrees (Tho I must admit, the "New-Hi Tec" materials are a great help..for warmth, and for cooling)
..Here in the north sacramento valley of N.Calif. its pretty nice bike riding weather right now..70's daily...just got my new Barnett Clutch Spring in, and "test-road" ! (I'll be posting a detailed report on that project in a day or so)...heading out for another ride along the High Sierra Foot Hills, Today....

blowndodge
11-02-2013, 02:04 PM
You'd have more places to trailer your bike around that you know what to do with and if you can take the heat, you can trailer year round. Even in the summer, morning trailering isn't bad.

Greg will be very happy:cheers:

glwilson
11-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Greg will be very happy:cheers:

I'll bet my trailer sees more miles than your bike... :lmao::D

blowndodge
11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
I'll bet my trailer sees more miles than your bike... :lmao::D

that could be a very true statement Trailer Queen Greg!:tup::lmao:

But isn't it hard to take it off it's concrete slab and put wheels on it?? :bird::P

GIBBY
11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Spent 5 hours riding today, 42 degrees when I left home and 49 when I put her in the garage. Another great day of riding. Still haven't had to use the heated jacket liner. Will be riding tomorrow too.

Rasta
11-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Took off with the wife shortly after she got home around 3pm. Temperature was around 54F. Rode for a while then stopped for dinner. We were back home a little after7pm and temps were a lot cooler by then since we lost the sun. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of around 64 so it will be a nice ride too.

ponch
11-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Took off with the wife shortly after she got home around 3pm. Temperature was around 54F. Rode for a while then stopped for dinner. We were back home a little after7pm and temps were a lot cooler by then since we lost the sun. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of around 64 so it will be a nice ride too.

Have a pork tenderloin sandwich for me.

Silent Sam
11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
DANG..Ponch, Pork Tenderloin Sandwich is outlawed here in Sillyphoney .....I sure wish I was in Mo. today..where I could get me one !

ponch
11-03-2013, 04:04 PM
DANG..Ponch, Pork Tenderloin Sandwich is outlawed here in Sillyphoney .....I sure wish I was in Mo. today..where I could get me one !

I lived in Iowa for 9 years and had my share. There's a hole in the wall in East Peru that makes a good one. There's plenty places that do too. Adel sweet corn is pretty good too.

Rasta
11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
We were at the East Peru one this summer. I think their claim might have been "Biggest tenderloin". It was actually pretty good but I think the best one I have tasted is the one in the picture. It is in Slater Ponch at a place called Cole's Giant Tenderloin. Cole was a marine that died I believe maybe in action. His father still runs the place and uses Coles recipe for the tenderloin.They start the prep on the tenderloin when you order because you can hear them flattening it.They leave it thick and so it stays juicy when you get it.

ponch
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
We were at the East Peru one this summer. I think their claim might have been "Biggest tenderloin". It was actually pretty good but I think the best one I have tasted is the one in the picture. It is in Slater Ponch at a place called Cole's Giant Tenderloin. Cole was a marine that died I believe maybe in action. His father still runs the place and uses Coles recipe for the tenderloin.They start the prep on the tenderloin when you order because you can hear them flattening it.They leave it thick and so it stays juicy when you get it.

Never been to the place in Slater. Another place that was good back in the day was Vera's Office in Lenox. Lots of places are good too. If you like breakfast, the American Legion in Redfield has a nice spread on Saturday. It was $6 and you can have everything on the menu.

glwilson
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
For me, the best pork or beef (no matter how you care for it to be prepared) was at the Illinois State Fair's Illinois Pork and Beef Producer's tent.

Unbelievable pork-tenderlion and rib-eye sandwiches; not to mention pork-chops and other beef-cut selections.

I cannot imagine the Iowa State Fair's Pork and Beef Producer's tent would be any different -- other than it might be better.:cheers:

ponch
11-03-2013, 10:02 PM
For me, the best pork or beef (no matter how you care for it to be prepared) was at the Illinois State Fair's Illinois Pork and Beef Producer's tent.

Unbelievable pork-tenderlion and rib-eye sandwiches; not to mention pork-chops and other beef-cut selections.

I cannot imagine the Iowa State Fair's Pork and Beef Producer's tent would be any different -- other than it might be better.:cheers:

The Iowa Pork Producers put on a good show all the time.

GIBBY
11-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Left home at 9:45 yesterday morning with a temperature of 41 degrees and met a friend that just took delivery of his numbered 2014 Indian Vintage. Fit and finish is second to none and the leather is fantastic. He says it is much tighter then the pre-production demo bikes. He had no trouble keeping up in the twisties with me and the Stage 1 exhaust sounds very nice. He also has 2 Victory's that are heavily modified and I am sure that by spring the Indian will be also. We put on about 250 miles and the temperature got up to 55 degrees but we battled 25-40 mph winds. All in all a great day of riding here in MN on November 3rd.

http://i40.tinypic.com/msghvr.jpg

jendesigner
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
That Indian is a nice looking ride! Love the leather work, high quality work.

Did a 200 mile ride with a group of about 20 yesterday. Started off at 38 degrees but got up to low 50's, very comfortable temps.

GIBBY
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
This is one of the guys I ride with occasionally and he just turned over 100,000 miles on his 2004 Victory Vegas. This pic was taken yesterday as the odometer was turning 100,000. All he has done to her is regular maintenance. I think he still has some 2004 bugs on his windscreen :D

http://i42.tinypic.com/2j60dvk.jpg

stretch
11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Nice looking Indian! Like the Victory also. ;)

glwilson
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
This is one of the guys I ride with occasionally and he just turned over 100,000 miles on his 2004 Victory Vegas. This pic was taken yesterday as the odometer was turning 100,000. All he has done to her is regular maintenance. I think he still has some 2004 bugs on his windscreen :D

That bike looks like it would be a blast on the twisties...:cheers:

ponch
11-04-2013, 08:58 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2j60dvk.jpg

He should register on this site: http://www.ncmotorcyclists.com/100,000+_club.htm

Rasta
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Rode for about 45min right after work.It was sunny but around 40-45F. I just had my work gloves so fingers were starting to get cold so didn't go far. But on the open country roads I would hit 70 to 80MPH a few times and I tell you the bike just loves this cold weather!! If it wasn't for the cold fingers I would have kept on ridin' till the sun went down...ahhhhhh the joy!!

GIBBY
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Glad you were able to get out for a ride. Our weather has gone to crap, my bike is in the heated warehouse at work but ready to ride as soon as we get some dry daylight hours.

Silent Sam
11-10-2013, 11:05 PM
DANG...There's two photo's here that make my mouth water...the new Indian Motorcycle, and that Pork Tenderloin Sandwich !

cbutteris
11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I think today was my final, final day of riding. Rode to work and home in the mid-40's temps and it felt pretty nice. Only about 10 miles each way.

Snow tomorrow with high temps in the teens coming up this weekend.

Get the snow shovels out!

GIBBY
11-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Have had my snowblower out and ready for weeks. Ran the gas out of the lawn mower and garden tractor a week ago and will finish with the leaf removal this Saturday when the temps are in the low teens :D

markclark57
11-21-2013, 11:03 PM
I now have PMS of another order . . . The new job has my schedule so tight that I only get to ride on weekends. Guess that's what I get for harassing the "weekend warriors". :ohno:

ponch
11-22-2013, 08:35 AM
I now have PMS of another order . . . The new job has my schedule so tight that I only get to ride on weekends. Guess that's what I get for harassing the "weekend warriors". :ohno:

Can't ride to work?

jendesigner
11-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Well I'm not willing to give up the bikes yet, I have a ride planned for the weekend, high of 24 degrees :-)

GIBBY
11-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I have resigned myself to the fact that I won't be riding again until March or April, unless I decide to fly somewhere and rent a Harley :D

Silent Sam
11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Better add a little gas..and some "StaBil" to your fuel tanks on the lawn mower..etc. if your storing them...

cactusjack
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
I have resigned myself to the fact that I won't be riding again until March or April, unless I decide to fly somewhere and rent a Harley :D

Careful Mike... if you ride one, you'll buy one! :lmao:

GIBBY
11-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Actually, I have ridden many different models of Harley Davidson and have often spoke of how much I like them. If I felt as comfortable on a Harley as I do on my Vic it is possible that I would own one. Brad, slap me before I do something foolish :crazy:

hullster
11-22-2013, 06:34 PM
The beauty of living in central Florida, started my 45 mile ride to work at 6:30 am temp was about 70 degree with a little overcast, the ride home about 80 degrees and some what overcast. I did catch a few rain drops but not enough to even get the bike damp. Winter is the best time to ride in Florida, except for the fact that it gets dark so early.

Silent Sam
11-23-2013, 07:30 PM
One Time when I was in Florida..It started to rain, and there was not a cloud in the sky ! --HUMIDITY--

GIBBY
11-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Left home at 11:00 a.m and the temp was 32 degrees and sunny. Went south along the Great River on the Wisconsin side to Nelson and crossed the river to Wabasha, MN where I headed north. 180 miles in all and saw a high temperature of 41 degrees. Will be washing the bike tomorrow to get all the salt dust off. Had a great ride even though it was a bit brisk. :D

glwilson
11-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Left home at 11:00 a.m and the temp was 32 degrees and sunny. Went south along the Great River on the Wisconsin side to Nelson and crossed the river to Wabasha, MN where I headed north. 180 miles in all and saw a high temperature of 41 degrees. Will be washing the bike tomorrow to get all the salt dust off. Had a great ride even though it was a bit brisk. :D

Good man Mike:tup: Thought of you today and wondered if you would ride. I would have if I weren't driving back from the holiday. Saw quite a few bikes considering how brisk it was out.

We, of course, were a bit warmer than you were today. You would have had to strip-down to a t-shirt here...:D:cheers:

ponch
11-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Got over 70 here today. It's been pretty nice.

markclark57
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I finally broke the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) today. Had to jump the battery to get going in the morning (too much PMS). It was a little chilly starting out but was riding comfortable and sleeveless by afternoon @ 72°. At 5:00 pm its still 71°. :D

GIBBY
12-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Washed the bike and put some sta-bil in the tank and put the cover on her for the winter hibernation. Had a light dusting of snow last night. Now I can start thinking about some trips for next season. Hey Greg, I think we should get together on Memorial Day weekend like we did this year, maybe we can get a few others to join us.

glwilson
12-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Washed the bike and put some sta-bil in the tank and put the cover on her for the winter hibernation. Had a light dusting of snow last night. Now I can start thinking about some trips for next season. Hey Greg, I think we should get together on Memorial Day weekend like we did this year, maybe we can get a few others to join us.

I missed this one Mike. Sorry.

I have tried before to get a few together for MD weekend; but most have family events or other things they have to tend to. You and "us" seem to be the only ones that have the clear schedule (conscience) to ride. :D I don't plan on changing my schedule. I have made it a tradition for many years now. Even my family knows I will be riding on that holiday weekend.

Let me know what you come up with though...

It was mid 40's here today. Rather unusual for this time of year. There were a couple brave souls on two wheels. I am not sure if they realize they are packing salt deep into their bikes when riding at this point in the season. I was still jealous though...:D

timmer357
12-28-2013, 10:34 PM
It's been rather cold in Orygone lately and it won't stop me. Just warm it up monthly, run it to your favorite java house, and ride her home. Doesn't your best friend at least deserve that? I ride unless there is ice, snow, a kid needing a lift to school, or other MAJOR obstacle. But many of you are probably in frigid places.

GIBBY
12-28-2013, 10:36 PM
It was 48° here today and I did see one dirt bike on the highway. Tomorrows high is supposed to be -1°.
I also make sure that nothing interferes with Memorial Day weekend. We can make a plan in March or April.
Laurie is doing much better and is nearly pain free. We went out today and had lunch with my daughter, son-in-law and 9 month old grandson.
Have a great New Year Wilsons.

stretch
12-28-2013, 11:02 PM
It was close to 50 here today and I got the bike out for short ride. It wad felt good to be on two wheels. Having a fairing makes a huge difference when its cold. Hurry up Spring!

rickyboy
12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Just noticed this thread... and yep still riding here!!!
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/sentpacking/snowmobiles/cid_image007_jpg01CCC105.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/sentpacking/media/snowmobiles/cid_image007_jpg01CCC105.jpg.html)

blowndodge
12-29-2013, 01:17 PM
rode up to the mountains yesterday. 250 miles. Brisk but nice.

glwilson
12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Just noticed this thread... and yep still riding here!!!
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/sentpacking/snowmobiles/cid_image007_jpg01CCC105.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/sentpacking/media/snowmobiles/cid_image007_jpg01CCC105.jpg.html)

I haven't snowmobiled for the last 2 years due to my back injury. Doc wouldn't give his blessings to do it; which really sucks because I love it. Miss my trips up the Keweenaw peninsula in upper-michigan.

rode up to the mountains yesterday. 250 miles. Brisk but nice.

I would take brisk at the moment... :D

jendesigner
03-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Finally was able to ride again today!!! Hit 50 degrees, but more importantly my driveway didn't have ice and snow! Rode as much as I could on a work day, tomorrow back to snow over night :-(

glwilson
03-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Finally was able to ride again today!!! Hit 50 degrees, but more importantly my driveway didn't have ice and snow! Rode as much as I could on a work day, tomorrow back to snow over night :-(

My wife saw one guy riding two-up today. 50+ here today also and the roads were basically clear except for gravel in the corners.

Glad to hear you got it out Jen. :cheers:

I would have loved to; but I haven't picked-up my bike yet. Plan on calling them tomorrow to get it out of storage so I can have it here just in case I can ride it.