PDA

View Full Version : Be careful Whiskey Wilson

GIBBY
09-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Saw this on another forum, I am sure that you have seen it but just in case you have not. Probably an isolated incident but something to think about.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics.html

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics-36.html

glwilson
09-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Saw this on another forum, I am sure that you have seen it but just in case you have not. Probably an isolated incident but something to think about.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics.html

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics-36.html

I saw those also. It appears they are the only incidents I could find. The resolution? The radiator cap was not fully turned to its locked position.

When the bike is running the coolant is circulating and not leaking out of the cap. Once stopped, the coolant stops circulating and expands some. Since the cap was not fully locked... the coolant expanded and escaped out the cap. No different than what happens in a car is you do not tighten the cap (or any radiator).

Apparently the HD mechanics who put those bikes together aren't familiar with radiator-caps! :lol:

Mystery solved...:cheers:

GIBBY
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Figured it was something stupid simple. I keep seeing that 2 tone red Limited in my dreams....I mean nightmares! :wtf:

cactusjack
09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Been "slumming" on the HD forum, Mike?

I have been following those threads myself, I'm sure the MoCo will get it straightened out.

blowndodge
09-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Most HD Machanics are knowledgable when it comes to leaking Harleys!!:lmao:

GIBBY
09-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Been "slumming" on the HD forum, Mike?

I have been following those threads myself, I'm sure the MoCo will get it straightened out.

Actually, I got that off of a Victory forum. Some of those guys love Harley bashing. I actually wish the Ultra's fit me ergonomically as well as the Victory's. I know you can do all kinds of things to make the HD fit better but my feet are still longer than the floorboards and with my old hockey players knees I need lots of leg room to do the kind of riding that I enjoy.

glwilson
09-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Dealer called me last night to let me know he just received the whiskey/black in. He threw me an "out the door" price without having seen my bike.

Was kind of shocked at his initial generous offer. Much better than my dealer initially threw at me, but it was still too low on the trade in calculation - but not bad.

However, I am also wise to the BS of them doing that, then changing the story once you get there.

I also can't seem to get the red color bike off my mind after having seen it i person. Much better looking than I imagined. And besides, not too sure the whiskey color wouldn't get old real fast...:shrug:

GIBBY
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Dealer called me last night to let me know he just received the whiskey/black in. He threw me an "out the door" price without having seen my bike.

Was kind of shocked at his initial generous offer. Much better than my dealer initially threw at me, but it was still too low on the trade in calculation - but not bad.

However, I am also wise to the BS of them doing that, then changing the story once you get there.

I also can't seem to get the red color bike off my mind after having seen it i person. Much better looking than I imagined. And besides, not too sure the whiskey color wouldn't get old real fast...:shrug:

I also like the Whiskey color but as you, I am not sure I would like it in 6 months.
Get a new bike, change your mothers birthday ( unless she is attached to that date after 85 years) :D and come to Antlers with us :cheers:

glwilson
09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I also like the Whiskey color but as you, I am not sure I would like it in 6 months.
Get a new bike, change your mothers birthday ( unless she is attached to that date after 85 years) :D and come to Antlers with us :cheers:

Yeah... seems like after 85 years that date is going to stick. Don't think I didn't try to negotiate an alternative... you know... what's an actual date?... it is only a calendar date... it is more about the spirit and celebration than the actual date.

Yeah... that worked real well... let me tell you. :D

I am thinking you may be right about the "whiskey". I am thinking that if we are thinking it won't work in a few years, then certainly others might think the same.

Kind-of reminds me of when "Harvest Gold", "Burnt Orange", or "Avocado Green" was the "to die for" colors of the 70's. Or "Mauve" was in the 80's...

You know what I am saying. Just thinking a traditional color might be more appealing in a few more years...

I am glad I don't own a "Purple" Harley though... Can you imagine trying to sell or trade-in one of those? :lmao::D:cheers:

Top Cat
09-18-2013, 10:26 PM

I am glad I don't own a "Purple" Harley though... Can you imagine trying to sell or trade-in one of those? :lmao::D:cheers:

Purple is traditionally the color of royalty, you do know that, right.
It is also my favorite color. I had no problem selling my purple Nomad with 88,000 miles on it.
I would think keeping bungie chords out of the drive belt would be of more concern :lmao:

glwilson
09-19-2013, 06:48 AM
It is also my favorite color. I had no problem selling my purple Nomad with 88,000 miles on it.
I would think keeping bungie chords out of the drive belt would be of more concern :lmao:

Trailer straps to be exact! :yep::D

GIBBY
09-19-2013, 09:04 AM
What are these trailer straps you speak of? :hmm:

schoeney
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
600 posts over 19 days on that HD coolant leak. That is a big flock of sheep.:D

Kawhead
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I would think keeping bungie chords out of the drive belt would be of more concern :lmao:The prettiest purple I ever seen in my life was on a Harley. The guy told me the name was Royal Purple.

Purple was a very difficult, expensive dye to make back in the day and pompous royal asses demanded it. :yep:

cactusjack
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM

That forum has something like 250,000 members.

glwilson
09-19-2013, 01:00 PM

There are thousands just dying to find fault with change. Misery loves company.

Too bad for them with this issue since it was a simple-fix, and not an epidemic as they had hoped.:D

schoeney
09-20-2013, 01:24 AM
That forum has something like 250,000 members.

Man, real homey huh?

I thought the ST forum was big at 17,000 members but that is nothing compared to the HD site. I wonder what the biggest MC forum is? That one?

cactusjack
09-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I know it's the largest Harley forum.