PDA

View Full Version : 2014 rally thoughts

fish
09-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I didn't think Norm or myself were procrastinating but maybe we are:hmm:
So here is your chance to speak up as in where, when, weekend or midweek etc.
I think our brothers from the north will want to come down to the states again.

sly
09-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Tell me where, tell me when, I'll be there :D

fish
09-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Tim's backyard:D

vulcanguy
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Can a "guy" on a Goldwing participate? :)

cnc
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Tim is a little particular about mutts in has backyard.:lmao:

Top Cat
09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Tim's backyard:D

Tim is a little particular about mutts in has backyard.:lmao:

If we had it in my back yard Guy could come but would have to park across the road in the open lot :lmao:

Top Cat
09-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Seriously, yes Guy, all brands are welcome.
Sly mentioned the Finger Lakes Region of NY State in the Canada region board.
Finger Lakes are nice and scenic but not a lot to do if you don't like wine tasting.
Our 09 regional was in that area.
If we are going to have it in NY State I would think the Catskill Mountain area would be a good choice. There is Hunter Mountain where you can zip-line, a motorcycle museum in Newburg and route 97 is also a good road trip.
As for during the week or week end, I think during the week is better.
It is early yet so keep the ideas coming.

cnc
09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Seriously, yes Guy, all brands are welcome.
Sly mentioned the Finger Lakes Region of NY State in the Canada region board.
Finger Lakes are nice and scenic but not a lot to do if you don't like wine tasting.
Our 09 regional was in that area.
If we are going to have it in NY State I would think the Catskill Mountain area would be a good choice. There is Hunter Mountain where you can zip-line, a motorcycle museum in Newburg and route 97 is also a good road trip.
As for during the week or week end, I think during the is better.
It is early yet so keep the ideas coming.

Not overly familiar with what NY State has to offer Tim. Sly is talking about the town of Skaneateles and we stayed here: http://www.skaneatelessuites.com/ It was a pretty cool town, public beach, and other waterfront activites.

cnc
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
If we had it in my back yard Guy could come but would have to park across the road in the open lot :lmao:
Yeah you wouldn't go hungry Guy, the neighborhood kids run a cool aid stand there and maybe some one will sneak a hot dog or something acroos the street to you.

Top Cat
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Not overly familiar with what NY State has to offer Tim. Sly is talking about the town of Skaneateles and we stayed here: http://www.skaneatelessuites.com/ It was a pretty cool town, public beach, and other waterfront activites.

Yup it is a nice town.
Not sure how many swim at our meets
It doesn't matter to me You plan it I will come :D

tomm
09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Two thoughts, but they are at extreme ends of the region so maybe not practical. Throwing them out there anyway.

Either Maine around the Rangeley area, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Realize that for either one, some folks will have some significant travel to get there. Or in place of Rangeley, northern NH somewhere around the Littleton area, or northern VT (I'm sure Loafer would have some suggestions.)

For Maine, there is reasonable access to NH and the Great North Woods, riding along the Androscoggin River, Mt Washington Auto Road, Moosehead Lake, a ride along the Kennebec River, the Zip Line Tour at Bretton Woods, and even Bar Harbor would be within reach, although would make for a very long day. Not sure what there is for motels in the area that would be able to host the event, but it is a tourist type area so I'm sure there are some. Ridden the area many times and the ride from Berlin to Rangeley along the river is one of my favorites in all of New England.

As for the UP, I've never been there but have seen pictures and have heard that the riding is really nice.

cnc
09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Yup it is a nice town.
Not sure how many swim at our meets
It doesn't matter to me You plan it I will come :D

Well according to your sig byline you haven't had a bath since 09.:lmao:
I'm easy also. Were ever we go we need two basic things, good riding roads and a nice motel. OK 5 things, a liquor store, a beer store and a good resturant near by.
Heck if everyone took a weeks holiday, we could all head east, meet in Cape Breton, spend 2 days in Bedeck and do the the Cabot Trail.

vulcanguy
09-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Thanks.....I hope that I can pitch my tent! Plus looks like I can have hot dogs & drinks!
All I need! :)

sly
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Two thoughts, but they are at extreme ends of the region so maybe not practical. Throwing them out there anyway.

Either Maine around the Rangeley area, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Realize that for either one, some folks will have some significant travel to get there. Or in place of Rangeley, northern NH somewhere around the Littleton area, or northern VT (I'm sure Loafer would have some suggestions.)

For Maine, there is reasonable access to NH and the Great North Woods, riding along the Androscoggin River, Mt Washington Auto Road, Moosehead Lake, a ride along the Kennebec River, the Zip Line Tour at Bretton Woods, and even Bar Harbor would be within reach, although would make for a very long day. Not sure what there is for motels in the area that would be able to host the event, but it is a tourist type area so I'm sure there are some. Ridden the area many times and the ride from Berlin to Rangeley along the river is one of my favorites in all of New England.

As for the UP, I've never been there but have seen pictures and have heard that the riding is really nice.

:tup:

minst7877
09-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I have ridden quite a bit of Michigan's upper Peninsula and have yet to find any really interesting roads. Michigan had a habit of laying roads out in in mile square blocks. You would have to do some serious scouting of the roads as road maintenance is very extensive in the short summers. A lot of the roads start out looking really good then turn to dirt and I do mean dirt. My thinking would be you would have to get west of Munising over in the Porcupine mountains area to get any good riding. Not a lot up there.

DC

tomm
09-07-2013, 09:40 AM
If the rally were held in the Littleton, NH area, below are four possible rides that might be of interest:

1) Notches Ride: Includes Dixville Notch, Grafton Notch, Pinkham Notch (start of the Mt Washington Auto Road), and Crawford Notch (Mt Washington Cog Railway and the Bretton Woods Zip Line tours).

2) Tour of NH (west of I93, where the tourists don't go): Franconia, Rt 118 (make sure your shocks are in good shape), Mt Cardigan, Meredith (along the Lake), Conway, the Kanc, and Franconia Notch.

3) Rangeley Maine Ride: Great North Woods (watch out for Moose), ride along the Androscoggin River, Rangeley Lake, Farmington (home of Univ of Maine at Farmington).

4) Tour of VT: Jay Peak, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Hanover (home of Dartmouth College), Newfound Lake. Can modify to include Rt 100 along the backbone of the Green Mountains, Killington and Quechee Gorge.

Rides would need a little bit of tweaking, but you get the idea. They are all between 200 and 270 miles.

http://goo.gl/maps/a1JL2

http://goo.gl/maps/3vwnY

http://goo.gl/maps/qyp2r

http://goo.gl/maps/iiEPx

Also, a link to the Mt Washington Auto Road

http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

and the Bretton Woods Canopy Tour

http://brettonwoods.com/activities/canopy_tour/overview

cnc
09-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks Tom, this the kind of info we need so we can make some choices down the road, how about inferstructure in the area?

Anybody else have some favorite ride areas that would make a good rally location?

HwyRider
09-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I've ridden a lot of the roads on Tomm's #2. That is some really nice riding and scenery.

Top Cat
09-07-2013, 01:58 PM
I am saving those routes to my Map Source program.
Always lookin for trips to take and new roads to ride.:yep:

tomm
09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Norm,
Littleton is the major city in northern NH. Kind of has two parts to it. There is the main street with all the little shops, including one with supposedly the longest candy counter in the world, and the part a little bit further along with exits from I93, WalMart, McDonalds, etc. Lots of local as well as chain restaurants. In the summer, they have piano's all along the main street. Anyone walking by is welcome to stop and play. Littleton's Web Site is below.

http://www.golittleton.com/

My son is a guide on the Bretton Woods Canopy Tour, so we are often in that area. One place we stay is the Eastgate Motor Inn. Nice rooms, free breakfast, and not expensive. Rooms are in a U-Shape with the parking lot in the middle. Would be a good place to sit around after the day's riding. Also, Main Street is within walking distance. And an Irving gas station right across the street. Also, right next to 93. Web Site below.

http://www.eastgatemotorinn.com/

BTW - I would prefer a schedule like the last one, with Monday and Friday as travel days, and the rally on Tuesday thru Thursday. That seemed to work out well. As for timing, I would avoid early July. Maybe late July or early August.

Tom

Thanks Tom, this the kind of info we need so we can make some choices down the road, how about inferstructure in the area?

Anybody else have some favorite ride areas that would make a good rally location?

cnc
09-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Longest candy counter? We need a town with the longest bar!:D

Keep the ideas coming Guys.

tomm
09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Figured I get that reaction :cheers: :D

Longest bar I ever sat at was Coyote Ugly in Nashville. Nothing like that in Littleton, but plenty of other shorter options.

Longest candy counter? We need a town with the longest bar!:D

Keep the ideas coming Guys.

tomm
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Here is a little more information on riding in New Hampshire and Maine. Don't know if there is a similar publication for Vermont. If there is, I've never seen it.

http://ridenh.net/

http://ridemaine.net/

fish
09-14-2013, 07:47 PM
last year Elaine, myself, Dave & Mary stayed for a couple of days in North Conway as a base motel. It was in late September and off season. We stayed at a top rate motel for a really good price. Dave had several rides planned and all but one were under 200 miles.

Monkeyman
09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I would suggest north central Indiana and that it's over a Fri-Sun. If it's not, I can't attend. I do well to get a single vacation each year and I already have plans (actually, I have plans for 2 separate vacations so I'll have to choose).

If we're having it in Tims back yard, let me know so I can order the new drag pipes. :)

Top Cat
09-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I would suggest north central Indiana and that it's over a Fri-Sun. If it's not, I can't attend. I do well to get a single vacation each year and I already have plans (actually, I have plans for 2 separate vacations so I'll have to choose).

If we're having it in Tims back yard, let me know so I can order the new drag pipes. :)

If you sleep real soundly you may wake up in the morning with no exhaust what so ever :tehe:

tomm
09-15-2013, 12:35 PM
We got together with Dave and Mary for a weekend as well earlier this summer, and if all goes well, maybe one more time before the end of the riding season.

Stayed up in Littleton. Took a bit, but was able to put together a nice ride that they hadn't previously done. We had a great time. Quite a few really nice 200 mile-ish rides in the area.

last year Elaine, myself, Dave & Mary stayed for a couple of days in North Conway as a base motel. It was in late September and off season. We stayed at a top rate motel for a really good price. Dave had several rides planned and all but one were under 200 miles.

Loafer
09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
These people have some info to look at.
http://www.newenglandriders.org/great_routes_and_rides/best_motorcycle_rides.htm

Burlington, Waterbury, Rutland and Hanover, Littleton and Laconia, N.H. have a lot going for them.

Monkeyman
09-15-2013, 07:57 PM
If you sleep real soundly you may wake up in the morning with no exhaust what so ever :tehe:

That'll work. It's even louder and it'll save weight. :lmao:

cnc
09-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Well it looks like we are getting some interesting ideas.

sly
09-16-2013, 08:39 AM
starting to sound like a plan :D

beezer
09-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Blue Moon Motel
495 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
518-668-2709

talk to Nancy

Top Cat
09-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Blue Moon Motel
495 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
518-668-2709

talk to Nancy

What? Did someone suggest a rally in Lake George again?

fish
09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Bob likes Lake George but he can't open my e-mail:yep:

anywhere but not Carbon County

Top Cat
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I think Bob is on some pretty heavy meds :shrug:
I like Tom's idea of NH and Vermont so far:D

cnc
09-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I like Like what We hear from Tom and Larry on the two different locations in NH.

I also have been toying for the last year or so with the idea of where we would hold a rally if we were to have one in Canada, so I will throw that out here for consideration.
The base hotel area would be Lachute Quebec or Hawksbury Ontario, both locations are an hour north of Montreal and are not very far away from each other. Two good routes are easy access from them. The first would be a very popular bike route up rte 327 in Quebec into the Laurentien mountains to Mount Tremblant and back via 323 or 364. The second run would take us west following hwy 34, country road 18 and winding our way toward Prescott or Brockville on the St Laurence, before heading north and taking an alternate route back.
The first route is hilly and lots of nice twistys while the second one is mostly flat farm land with long sweeping curves.
If this was a consideration it would be best done in the week as hundreds of motorcycles travel the 327 on the weekends and it is not uncommon to see 40 or 50 bikes stop at road side restaurant.
Anyway just another thought.

tomm
09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi Norm,
Haven't ridden in either of those areas, but the ride north towards Mont-Tremblant looks pretty nice. Did ride once to Chicoutimi from Quebec City, back down to Saint-Simeon and along the St Lawrence back to Quebec City. Beautiful area and the ride back down to Saint-Simeon was especially sweet with very little traffic. But the ride along the St. Lawrence back to Quebec City, although a really nice ride, was loaded with other bikes. Have also ridden along the St Lawrence from Kingston to Brockville along some Parkway. That was pretty nice too with good views of the river. How do your rides compare?
One nice thing about your suggestion for those of us heading north is that it would be a good opportunity to spend a day or two in Montreal and/or Ottawa and see those cities. I've never been to Ottawa, and only been to Montreal on business.

I like Like what We hear from Tom and Larry on the two different locations in NH.

I also have been toying for the last year or so with the idea of where we would hold a rally if we were to have one in Canada, so I will throw that out here for consideration.
The base hotel area would be Lachute Quebec or Hawksbury Ontario, both locations are an hour north of Montreal and are not very far away from each other. Two good routes are easy access from them. The first would be a very popular bike route up rte 327 in Quebec into the Laurentien mountains to Mount Tremblant and back via 323 or 364. The second run would take us west following hwy 34, country road 18 and winding our way toward Prescott or Brockville on the St Laurence, before heading north and taking an alternate route back.
The first route is hilly and lots of nice twistys while the second one is mostly flat farm land with long sweeping curves.
If this was a consideration it would be best done in the week as hundreds of motorcycles travel the 327 on the weekends and it is not uncommon to see 40 or 50 bikes stop at road side restaurant.
Anyway just another thought.

cnc
09-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Tom, the route to Tremblant is pretty nice, lots of curves and hills. Scenery is pretty nice, my cottage is just off the 327, so I know the roads well.
The parkway you were on was the 1000 Island parkway, I was just on it today and am often in that area. The other route I was mentioning is real quiet hyways through farm land and small towns villages. Lots to see in Montreal, but even though I live there I rarely go down town with the bike, just me I guess.
Anyway it is just another idea.

I haven't talked to Larry or Tim, but I imagine we will wait and hope to get a few more Ideas before making a choice on the location.

timebandit
10-28-2013, 07:54 PM
If you guys decide to do it in eastern ontario/ottawa area, I'd be happy to be your guide as this area is "my backyard". I have a few undiscovered (hidden)roads and very interesting rides with attached history to them.

Let me know when and I can be of help if needed.

Hey Tom, the route to Tremblant is pretty nice, lots of curves and hills. Scenery is pretty nice, my cottage is just off the 327, so I know the roads well.
The parkway you were on was the 1000 Island parkway, I was just on it today and am often in that area. The other route I was mentioning is real quiet hyways through farm land and small towns villages. Lots to see in Montreal, but even though I live there I rarely go down town with the bike, just me I guess.
Anyway it is just another idea.

I haven't talked to Larry or Tim, but I imagine we will wait and hope to get a few more Ideas before making a choice on the location.

cnc
10-29-2013, 07:15 PM
If you guys decide to do it in eastern ontario/ottawa area, I'd be happy to be your guide as this area is "my backyard". I have a few undiscovered (hidden)roads and very interesting rides with attached history to them.

Let me know when and I can be of help if needed.

Hey Denis, it's been a while. Thanks for offer on help, we may take you up on it when we do a rally on the area, just don't know if it will be this years location. Yeah I am familiar with a lot of the area too especially rte 327, lots of nice riding.

minst7877
12-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Do we even have a area for the rally yet?

DC

Top Cat
12-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Do we even have a area for the rally yet?

DC

I think the suggestions so far are Vermont, New Hampshire or Canada, eh.

cnc
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
We are working on it and have a location in mind.
but before announcing it we are checking on the infrastructure and routes available with the help of a member who knows the area. All will be revealed shortly.

trosco
12-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Not that this should matter to anyone (besides me that is) but if you do it in August I will attend. And.... I might even head back up into Canada afterwards????

cnc
12-01-2013, 10:30 PM
August the only month you have available Ross?

trosco
12-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Am committed to three rallys and a family visit so far Norm. The Central region's rally in Arkansas in 3rd week of June, then The GWRRA Wing Ding (national Gold Wing Rally) over 4th of July in Wisconsin. Then the North and South West region's in Orofino ID in late July. Daughter is in Iowa and she just picked up a new Road King and we are talking about a long weekend on two wheels together between WingDing and Orofino.

Want to Do the far NE corner of US next summer and get into Canada up by you and Guy and Sly then maybe all the way to Donnie if $ and weather allows. Would be cool to pick up your rally on the way and meet up with some of ya all.