PDA

View Full Version : Honest Range???

roosed
07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Well it's coming down to the wire...after 19 years "Between bikes, w/ kids" it's finally time to hit the road again! ;)

I've recently relocated from Northern IN to the Memphis area and am looking forward to the extended season!

I've pretty much settled on the 1600 Nomad but, there's always a but, I can't seem to get a straight answer form anyone regarding the "touring" fuel range. I realize that motorcycle MPG is VERY dependent on riding style and load but I've heard everything from 30-60 MPG http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif!

I'm 6', 300# and wish to do serious weekenders but don't want to stop for gas every 2 hours. Can anybody provide some relevant insight???

It'd be greatly appreciated! The local dealers I've spoken with keep trying to push the 2Ltr on me but I don't like the soft bags or the belt drive, on a cruiser anyhow.

THANKS!
http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

trip
07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Well roosed,
You've come to the right place to talk about range and mileage for a Nomad. As for me, I get about 38mpg average. As you say, it varies...due to load, headwind, etc....but for the most part, it's about 38 for me.

That calcs to about a 200 miles range on a 5.3 gal tank like what's on my 05 Nomad. But, keep in mind that while your riding, to prevent fatigue, you might consider stopping about every 140-160 miles just for a break. At least from my experience, I have found that to be best for me. I generally get a range of about 170 miles (fully loaded for trips) before I need to fuel. That calcs to 33mpg.

The Nomad generally needs the highest octane you can get (91 or 93) unless you've done some customization or FI retuning.

Out of the box, a new Nomad will get better gas mileage after breakin and that gas mileage will probably range from 33mpg up to 42mpg.

Trip

spork
07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Gang! My First post here. Trip, I love what you have done with this site! And what you have done for the TXVROC. I aspire to your level of detail and greatness!

Now on the range, I can't speak for the 1600's but on my bike I am right in line with what Trip said. About 35-38 mpg depending on wrist.

I too have heard a wide range of reports but most seem to be in the 38-40 range. I have heard that the PCIII will make a difference by adjusting the fuel map. I do not have one yet but hope to acquire one in the near future.

Take care,

bluetongue
07-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Well I get about 37 to 40. I normally stop every 150-170 miles just to get off and walk around just so you due not stiffen up which will shorten your over all ride time and enjoyment.

trip
07-03-2007, 06:20 AM
spork,
Thanks for the compliment Dude! I talked to Gadget today. He's going to list Kawanow on the links section of his website. Looking forward to getting more Nomad info out there for everybody.

Trip

nightflight1
07-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Roosed, you can bank on what Trip said. My '05 has gotten 42 mpg on the rare occasion but is consistently 38-40 for normal riding. Twist-a-wrist will get you down in the mid 30 mpg range. You cannot go wrong buying a Nomad. I prefer a good windshield and installed a HD batwing and it keeps the bugs and air off better than the stock windshield. Sometime it get real warm down here in South Texas border area, been thinking about installing a louvered opening in the windshield like the Gold Wings have as an accessory.
Wayne
Night Flight

waynem
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Welcome Roosed!
I also get between 35-38 around town, but on the open road I have gotten between 42-44 mpg. My wrist does get heavy after a while. As far as distance, I like to stop about every 100 miles, stretch the arthritic joints, and fill up not knowing where the next gas station is. If I'm riding with a group, it doesn't matter how much gas I have, if one stops, I top off.

Night Flight,
If you have the bat-wing on, you may notice three holes on each side that you can screw something into. This is for extensions. My Kawi dealer said he could get me some that had adjustable louvers to direct the air flow. If you are interested I'll get the part#.

Semper Fi!

roosed
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info y'all!!! Anyone who hasn't already chimed in...please keep'er coming! Since my last bike (19 years ago) was an 1100cc Cruiser, I mainly commuted and day tripped so now that I'm "a little more mature" (HeeHee, like anyone believes that?!?!?) I'm really hoping to get deep into weekenders...I hope to be a charter member of the IBA by year's end but we'll see how that goes! THANKS AGAIN!

dip
07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Trip - Gadget already had Kawanow posted as a link, this is how I find the site. :)

07-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I'm right in the 38-40 range at cruising speed. During break-in I was in the low 30's but I also didn't baby it. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

druid
07-14-2007, 02:50 PM
My fuel mileage has been pretty much like all the others. When I ride 2-up and keep my speed around 60 or so, I can get 39-42. When I ride solo and keep the speed at 70-80, it'll get tween 34 and 38. When we took a trip riding 2-up, pulling a pop-up trailer across the southwest and up into northern California, I saw it get as little as 27, running into a headwind at 70 mph. In any case, anytime you're travelling very far and have a passenger aboard, you'll keep her a lot happier if you'll stop for a butt-break at around 100 miles, and then re-fuel at around 150 miles(assuming it's getting good mileage). You can travel a good distance each day that way, hear a lot less bitchin during the trip, and she'll be more willing to accompany you on future trips.

smurfsdad
07-19-2007, 07:33 AM
I can say from experience that my 06 1600 Nomad gets 192 miles to a tankfull.

Smurfsdad

blowndodge
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
all highway riding at a decent speed 70-75 I get 42. All city riding about 30.

scooter
07-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, great sight, thanks for creating this one.

I hav a 99 carbed Nomad. Put a jet kit in some V&H baggers adn I get about 45-48 depending on the wind. I live in Canada and our fuel is in liters, but when I convert I get about on average 45. That's running at 100kms, or about 65 mph.
I am pleased with the bike, and enjoy the feel and the smoothness.
Went from a Wing to a Nomad, I will not be going back. This bike has won my heart.

Scott
Manitoba Canada. It is about 90 here this morning, and the temp is to go up about 95. Hhhmmm, my igloo may melt. ha ha ha.

Keep up the great work on this sight Trip.

unwind2
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
38-40 loaded, 42 - 44 unloaded. I have a cruise control on mine that works just like the one on my hubbies......cruise button,set speed, acclerate and declerate button. Hubbie got it and had it put on for Xmas present last year. I love it and I'm sure it helps the gas milage on trips.

hehe the guy who put the cruise on ran out of gas on my bike testing the cruise. I had taken it in to him empty cause didn't know if he would need to take the tank off or not. LOL

lw
08-01-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a cruise control on mine that works just like the one on my hubbies......cruise button,set speed, acclerate and declerate button. Hubbie got it and had it put on for Xmas present last year. I love it and I'm sure it helps the gas milage on trips.

Which cruise do you have? All of my riding has been fairly local, but I can tell that longer trips would definitely make some throttle-hand relief neccessary. I like the idea of a cruise like the one you described.

unwind2
08-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey lw,

It ain't cheap but it works excellent. I've had it for a year now. You can check it out at mccruise.com. It came from Austrailia. He shipped it here. At first my hubbie was going to install himself. Says the instructions are very well laided out but he decided since it was MY bike to let someone who has already put one on do it instead. ;)

08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Scooter......... sounds like my bike but I get 33-36 mpg....... what the heck???
Are you sure the conversion is right?

Nico

lw
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Checked mileage performance at yesterday's fillup. I'm consistently getting 36-37 mpg and 165 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Beats the snot outta the 12-14 mpg I get from my ol' truck.

jmorrow
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I have an 04 Nomad. I get 40-45mpg., it just depends on speed,wind, and roads. I have gotten as low as 33mpg (two-up with luggage, at 70-75mph with a 30 mph head wind thru the panhandle of OK. Jeez like to beat us to a pulp.

Top Cat
08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
2007 Nomad 1600. 40-42 riding two-up. Usually only ride 5 to 8 miles faster than posted speed limit.