PDA

View Full Version : Rally Rethink

blowndodge
06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Now that the 2013 rally has drawn to a close I have one thought that I usually have. Most rallys are at the end of June. All if us west of the Rockies end up passing through hundreds of miles through the deserts. There is ALWAYS a heat wave going on and this year is no different. Two straight all day rides in well over 100 degree weather has me concluding that late June/July/August are off the table unless Im driving up the coast.

Whomever voted on these months for whatever reason can pound sand!!:bird:

waterman
06-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Now that the 2013 rally has drawn to a close I have one thought that I usually have. Most rallys are at the end of June. All if us west of the Rockies end up passing through hundreds of miles through the deserts. There is ALWAYS a heat wave going on and this year is no different. Two straight all day rides in well over 100 degree weather has me concluding that late June/July/August are off the table unless Im driving up the coast.

Want to have it in Estes in April or May?:lmao:

dshelly
06-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Break out the snow shovels. :D

We could fit that Vic with a ski. :tup:

schoeney
06-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Kris and I were complaining June was too early when we were freezing and getting rained on our way through Idaho.

After riding in 100-108 degree heat on our way back we were begging for the cold.

It's a crap shoot. We just need to suck it up and be tough.

cactusjack
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Brad, a lot of members either have children in school or work in education-related positions. Having a rally much earlier would keep them from attending. The turnout would be even worse than at this rally.

It's summer, it's hot and we have to put on our big boy pants and take one for the team. Any rally I go to I have to ride through at least 100 miles of Sonoran Desert heat to get back home.

blowndodge
06-29-2013, 09:47 PM
I know Scott. 6 hours in 110 degree heat does something to a man!! And it's not good

dshelly
06-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Wow! and I thought 91 deg in Wyoming was bad.

cnc
06-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I know Scott. 6 hours in 110 degree heat does something to a man!! And it's not good

Thought it was cold water that did that.:hmm:

ponch
06-29-2013, 10:36 PM

You could always trailer the bike. :D

Dave
06-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Why not ride at night?

ponch
06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Why not ride at night?

Some people don't have great night vision and then there are critters.

Dave
06-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Some people don't have great night vision and then there are critters.

I forgot about that. I think if it were me, to avoid this kind of heat, I'd ride at night.

ponch
06-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I forgot about that. I think if it were me, to avoid this kind of heat, I'd ride at night.

The compromise is to start real early, like 4-5 in the morning and ride until noon or so. That's what a lot of people here do. Only idiots like me commute in 119˚ weather.

glwilson
06-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Wimp!!! :lmao: :cheers: (As I gaze out the cab of my truck to look at my trailer...:lol:)

schoeney
06-30-2013, 11:33 AM
You could always trailer the bike. :D

Don't laugh. After 800 miles in 100 degree heat I would have rather trailer it.

It would have made a lot of sense for the Colorado trip. Lots of miles and vacation time needed, lots of miles on boring highways (I80 and I84).

The only time I would have regretted trailering it was when I pulled into the parking lot and heard the razzing from the Knuckleheads:P

ponch
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Don't laugh. After 800 miles in 100 degree heat I would have rather trailer it.

It would have made a lot of sense for the Colorado trip. Lots of miles and vacation time needed, lots of miles on boring highways (I80 and I84).

The only time I would have regretted trailering it was when I pulled into the parking lot and heard the razzing from the Knuckleheads:P

I felt that way after Crescent City. Thing is, I'd still have to take a decent amount of time off, but I would be fresher when I got there and home. Another option is to fly in and rent.

So how was the ST? What kind of mileage were you getting? Was the engine heat a lot to deal with?

Kawhead
06-30-2013, 12:31 PM
You could always trailer the bike. :DOr if he were low enough he can trailer it and force a man twice his age with a terminal medical condition to drive day and night 'till he gets there. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/devil.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

Whomever voted on these months for whatever reason can pound sand!!:bird:MY GOD MAN!!! GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/face-slap.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html) Get back on the sauce and calm down. A few hours of sobriety makes a a damned pitiful sight of you! Now go below to your quarters, powder your under carriage and put some clean big girl panties back on.

Oh cry me a fvkin river! Two days of riding in 100* weather. Boo hoo hoo!:P:lmao:

If everybody don't vote to have a rally where BD wants it, go pound sand. That china cabinet crashing sound you just heard was the sound of a thousand sympathetic members heats breaking in unison. Mine included.:yep:

I realize you hate me now, but in time you will come to appreciate my crude efforts in attempts to make a man of you, if that ever happens.:shrug:

:D:D:

cactusjack
06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
The compromise is to start real early, like 4-5 in the morning and ride until noon or so. That's what a lot of people here do. Only idiots like me commute in 119˚ weather.

...while wearing a leather jacket, I might add. :D

The problem with riding that early in the morning is the increased risk of having a run-in with large game animals.

Kawhead
06-30-2013, 02:21 PM

The problem with riding that early in the morning is the increased risk of having a run-in with large game animals.Good GRIEF :ohno:

The solution to the problem is to get right with the Lord and you wont have to worry about hitting large game animals. :tup::yep:

:D

Just a suggestion.:shrug:

ponch
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM

The problem with riding that early in the morning is the increased risk of having a run-in with large game animals.

It's worse without it

waterman
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, BD now knows what I felt after Crescent City and Kanab last year.:P If we hold the next rally somewhere west of where we were thinking, I might be in the trailer mode for the first time ever.>:( I don't know if I could take the salt flats and Idaho again.

Kawhead
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, BD now knows what I felt after Crescent City and Kanab last year.:P If we hold the next rally somewhere west of where we were thinking, I might be in the trailer mode for the first time ever.>:( I don't know if I could take the salt flats and Idaho again.I'm willing to bet he never considers the thoughts and feelings of his VBA brethren. Luckily he's met me and I'm kind hearted enough to undertake the daunting task of making him a more considerate, suave, debonair, gallant, statuesque, model of manhood. In the end he'll come know what it's like to be me.
In so doing these major difficulties, to him, will become as threating as a baby's laughter.:yep:

I have a major task of undamaging 58 or 60 years of placation and kid mitten treatment, but I'm up to it. :D

Sin City Stan
06-30-2013, 09:38 PM

That's exactly what we did. Kickstand up early and the afternoon in the pool. :wave:

replay13
07-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Packed up my tent by flashlight in WY at 3:30 am to get on the road early. Spent the afternoon in Elko, NV in a air conditioned room and by the pool when it was 107. Back on the road at 4am today (Elko, Nv to Medford, OR)... worked for me.

Kawhead
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I had a blast out there with every body! My only complaint was once we got into Kansas they wasn't as many Baskin Robins, Dairy Queens an Sonics to stop at to get a ice cream or a milk shake so I could eat them in Tom's freezing cold ass truck. That fleece throw he kept in there for his wife just wasn't enough to keep me cozy as I slept between ice cream stops.

A heavy Blanket and more moonshine next time or he can pound sand. :D Ain't no scene in making a poor feller shiver like that while he's trying to sleep. My feet got cold too cause I'd pull my house shoes off when I got back in the truck (ice box).:ohno:

:D

schoeney
07-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Packed up my tent by flashlight in WY at 3:30 am to get on the road early. Spent the afternoon in Elko, NV in a air conditioned room and by the pool when it was 107. Back on the road at 4am today (Elko, Nv to Medford, OR)... worked for me.

Smart!

dshelly
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
This thread is starting to sound more like an old lady's quilting bee then a bunch of bikers. :lmao:

waterman
07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
This thread is starting to sound more like an old lady's quilting bee then a bunch of bikers. :lmao:

2 years ago we rode across the salt flats and northern Nevada and then back from Burns, OR across Idaho with hot enough temps of well over 100. We were all wondering what in the world we were doing.

ponch
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I was there too...119 is worse. Need www.veskimo.com

blowndodge
07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
123 beats 119... >:

cactusjack
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
123 beats 119... >:

Not that you could tell the difference between 119 and 123.

ponch
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
117-118 today. I am starting to wish for something with ac.

blowndodge
07-01-2013, 07:47 PM
It was actually 98 hear today after 3pm and thats near the coast!! 98 feels like nothing!

jestephens
07-01-2013, 09:38 PM

If it makes you feel more like a man, my parents are both 60 years old and we rode one 750 mile day (17 hours) back home across Kansas, a 99 degree wind-ridden wasteland, and we didn't complain :tehe:

See you at the next rally!:cheers:

blowndodge
07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Im almost your parents age Jay! Show BD some respect huh? :D

coacha
07-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I got lucky coming home from Albuquerque. Highest temp going across northern Texas was 96 for a few hours. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't the most pleasant thing either. Ended up stopping a couple times to water up and shortened my ride.

I hope we get to see all the west coast guys at the next rally, whenever and wherever it is.

ponch
07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I got lucky coming home from Albuquerque. Highest temp going across northern Texas was 96 for a few hours. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't the most pleasant thing either. Ended up stopping a couple times to water up and shortened my ride.

I hope we get to see all the west coast guys at the next rally, whenever and wherever it is.

Did you use the beemer or the nomad?

coacha
07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Did you use the beemer or the nomad?

Beemer. Nomad has bent shift fork so it stayed home. :cry:

ponch
07-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Beemer. Nomad has bent shift fork so it stayed home. :cry:

How was it? Should have eaten up the trip.

A bent shift fork means a tear down, no?

schoeney
07-02-2013, 12:14 AM

Nice meeting you Coach!

Dave
07-02-2013, 01:48 AM
123 beats 119... >:

Not in golf.

Kawhead
07-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Mexican food, Rocky Road Ice Cream, and beer gives me the nasty farts and Tom had to let the window down and I think one time it got up to about 72* in the truck. :hmm:

It killed the hell out of a fkn Fly that we picked up somewhere outside of Wichita. :yep:

Dave
07-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Mexican food, Rocky Road Ice Cream, and beer gives me the nasty farts and Tom had to let the window down and I think one time it got up to about 72* in the truck. :hmm:

With that combination, I wouldn't trust a fart.

schoeney
07-02-2013, 02:02 AM
mexican food, rocky road ice cream, and beer gives me the nasty farts and tom had to let the window down and i think one time it got up to about 72* in the truck. :hmm:

tmi

Kawhead
07-02-2013, 02:14 AM
This thread is starting to sound more like an old lady's quilting bee then a bunch of bikers. :lmao::yep:

coacha
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
How was it? Should have eaten up the trip.

A bent shift fork means a tear down, no?

Tear down or new to it engine. We will see.

The Beemer did great for the most part. I did a BBG1500 on the way out and could have certified a BB1500 on the way back but didn't get all my receipts. Only problem I had was an overheating issue but I think it was a combination of altitude and something else...which I will begin finding tomorrow.

coacha
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Nice meeting you Coach!

Nice to meet you to Schoeney. I really like the ST, nice, quiet bikes that eat the miles. Hope you had a great time and a smooth trip back home.

ponch
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Tear down or new to it engine. We will see.

The Beemer did great for the most part. I did a BBG1500 on the way out and could have certified a BB1500 on the way back but didn't get all my receipts. Only problem I had was an overheating issue but I think it was a combination of altitude and something else...which I will begin finding tomorrow.

I hope it's nothing serious and cheap.

coacha
07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I am hoping it is the radiator cap. I've read on the BMWLT forum that is a possible cause. Worst part of that is all the plastic and the tank have to come off...about 4-6 hours of time for that, yippee me!

ponch
07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't have to worry about antifreeze. :) that said, you should take care of anything else while its apart. Because of Tupperware, sometimes I wish I got the GSA.

Kawhead
07-04-2013, 02:19 AM

Lying ass lier! Lest it be more than three maybe four states of travel. Your big monkey ass will attend! What other bunch out there is gonna put up with you? :wtf:
Everybody else ('cept me) pulls into the parking lot, dismounts from their steel steed, stretches, takes a deep breath of the fresh mountain air, and are awe struck by the majestic beauty as if God had placed Estes Park there for just them.

The next sight they see is ol' grumpy ass himself, so inebriated that there has yet to be invented a breathalyser with a scale high enough to score him. Chain smoking Macanudo Baron de Rothschild cigars one after the other. You can hear him bichen, "I don't know what the hell possessed me to come here. This altitude makes every funken bone and joint in my body ache." >:(

I know you threaded this for the rest of the folks and please accept my humble apology for letting the adorable kitten out of the bag.
See you in 2015!:yep:
:cheers::D

MustangMan
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
As Johnny Carson would say. "How hot was it?"

Kawhead
07-06-2013, 06:25 PM
It was so hot I had to keep turning the AC colder in the truck and pulled the sun screen down so the bright sun would quit waking me up on the trip.:yep:

Dern it musta been hot out there.

poppy
07-07-2013, 09:09 PM
That was probably a shart, not a fart.

It killed the hell out of a fkn Fly that we picked up somewhere outside of Wichita. :yep: