PDA

View Full Version : Homeward bound

cactusjack
06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Brad, Marie and I made it to Montrose CO for the night. It was a scorcher after we came out of the mountains on I-70 E of Glenwood Springs.

dshelly
06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
I am well done also after riding across no mans land (wyoming) today. Stopped in Cody for the night. Should be home by noon tomorrow. :tup:

cactusjack
06-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Ride safe Dave, and it was nice to meet you.

waterman
06-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Glad to hear that you are all well on your way home.

Netnorske
06-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Tricia and I made it into Ogden in record temps. It was 108 here today and we were dying to get into some AC. Had a good ride though and stopped at the Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal this morning as we took Hwy 40 west. Another hot long 475 miles tomorrow to La Grande, OR.

Jared
06-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Made it home without incident. Also burnt to a crisp.

Idaho
06-28-2013, 11:06 PM
It is too freakin hot to be riding in the desert SW right now. Glad to know that you guys are all making it home safe.

I have a Blue Knights memorial ride tomorrow to Yellowstone. We are leaving early, should be there by noon. I will spend the entire day watching tourists from an air conditioned table then come home in the evening after it cools down.

Netnorske
06-29-2013, 12:20 AM
It is too freakin hot to be riding in the desert SW right now. Glad to know that you guys are all making it home safe.

I have a Blue Knights memorial ride tomorrow to Yellowstone. We are leaving early, should be there by noon. I will spend the entire day watching tourists from an air conditioned table then come home in the evening after it cools down.

Bud, it sucks being so close yet not be able to hook up with you. We did get to spend quite a bit of time riding, overnighting, and dining with Caribou (Tad Jensen and his wife Tammy) from Bancroft, ID. Great people...hope we can continue to keep in touch with them and continue a good thing...:cheers:!

Cajunrider
06-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Don't get dehydrated guys. It will sneak up on you. Pay attention!

Top Cat
06-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Cindy and I headed north and went through Wyoming and into South Dakota.
Got a motel in Custer and went to see the light show at the Crazy Horse Memorial. The light show was pretty neat. Never seen a laser light show before.
Added another pin to my hat and state to my map. :D

dshelly
06-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Left Cody,Wy about 6:45 am and pulled into my driveway about 10:30 this morning. Wanted to get home before it got too hot.

Those of you still riding in the heat, keep drinking........ water that is. :tup:

Good to meet all of you and look forward to doing it again. :cheers:

Netnorske
06-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Steve, Tricia and I rolled into La Grande, OR this afternoon after riding through 106 degree temps northwest of Boise....brutal...:ohno:. We would soak our t-shirts and they would be dry within ten miles. Last run home tomorrow....should be more tolerable temps as we get closer to home.

cactusjack
06-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Brad, Marie and I left Montrose CO this morning and rode the Million Dollar Highway, temps were cool, it was very smoky due to wildfires elsewhere in CO. We stopped for breakfast in Silverton and paid a visit to the "world's highest HD store" next door to the cafe. Brad almost got to meet a deer up close as it hopped in front of him, but saw us coming and jumped back into the trees.

We went our separate ways at Durango. I continued on through Farmington NM, Gallup NM, and then on to Show Low AZ for the night. It warmed right up after Durango, my temp gauge showed 95-100 degrees, although I had a lot of cloud cover so the sun wasn't frying me. Here in Show Low it's breezy, 86° and it looks like it *might* rain. I hope it does.

Tomorrow I plan to get out of here early and should be home in about 3 hours.

Rasta
06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Glad to see you guys have made it home or are just a few hours from home. It was a pleasure shaking hands with you guys and have a short conversation with since I was not there long enough to socialize with you all. dshelly, sorry didn't get to meet or did we and I didn't realize it was you?

Netnorske
06-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Amin....it was great to meet you...albeit briefly. I would loved to have tossed back some of the Blueberry Moonshine we bought across the street with you. That stuff was 100 proof and I could have run my bike on it...:yep:. It was very tasty poured over ice. One night I poured Cliff some of the Strawberry Moonshine I bought there too...and included a couple of the actual berries that were in the jar. I told him if he noshed on those that it would be like eating the worm....turns out I was right....:D:tup:! Along with Joel's tasty Peach Pie....there was a lot of moonshine going around there....:yep:....how did we not share a snort?

Netnorske
06-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Just out of Boise today, we pulled off at some non-descript off ramp and rode a mile off the interstate to some little nothing town for refreshments. Turns out the little country store we stopped at had a big mister (think rain-maker) running all along the front of the store. It was freaking AWESOME...:yep:! We got some drinks and stood under that thing until we were soaked. That was the best break I think I've ever taken on a long bike trip....serendipity at its best....:tup:

Rasta
06-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Amin....it was great to meet you...albeit briefly. I would loved to have tossed back some of the Blueberry Moonshine we bought across the street with you. That stuff was 100 proof and I could have run my bike on it...:yep:. It was very tasty poured over ice. One night I poured Cliff some of the Strawberry Moonshine I bought there too...and included a couple of the actual berries that were in the jar. I told him if he noshed on those that it would be like eating the worm....turns out I was right....:D:tup:! Along with Joel's tasty Peach Pie....there was a lot of moonshine going around there....:yep:....how did we not share a snort?

Kris, my days of knocking them back are far behind me. I however have just as much fun as when I used to believe it or not. The only difference is I don't wake up with a head ache. I enjoy watching people having fun and having a good old time:cheers:

ponch
06-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Steve, Tricia and I rolled into La Grande, OR this afternoon after riding through 106 degree temps northwest of Boise....brutal...:ohno:. We would soak our t-shirts and they would be dry within ten miles. Last run home tomorrow....should be more tolerable temps as we get closer to home.

My maternal grandfather was from La Grande. BTW, if you wear a jacket over the tee shirt, it'll cool for a lot longer and you actually won't fry as much. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

ponch
06-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Brad, Marie and I left Montrose CO this morning and rode the Million Dollar Highway, temps were cool, it was very smoky due to wildfires elsewhere in CO. We stopped for breakfast in Silverton and paid a visit to the "world's highest HD store" next door to the cafe. Brad almost got to meet a deer up close as it hopped in front of him, but saw us coming and jumped back into the trees.

We went our separate ways at Durango. I continued on through Farmington NM, Gallup NM, and then on to Show Low AZ for the night. It warmed right up after Durango, my temp gauge showed 95-100 degrees, although I had a lot of cloud cover so the sun wasn't frying me. Here in Show Low it's breezy, 86° and it looks like it *might* rain. I hope it does.

Tomorrow I plan to get out of here early and should be home in about 3 hours.

I'll wave on your way by. :D

cactusjack
06-29-2013, 11:06 PM
I will be coming down the 60 from Globe, not on 87 from Payson. Sorry big guy.

ponch
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I will be coming down the 60 from Globe, not on 87 from Payson. Sorry big guy.

I had a feeling you would. You want to get into the heat right away. :) I'll still wave.

dell
06-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Jay, Joyce and I made it back to Missouri, about 1 o'clock in the morning, after 16 hours of travel. Jay slept in this morning, but made it to his home in Illinois, early this afternoon. He reached his place just ahead of stormy weather.
We didn't encounter rain, anywhere on this trip. I can't remember ever going on a week long bike trip, without being wet at some point. Kansas, however, was it's normal hot, dusty, windy and boring self.
All things considered, we enjoyed ourselves, and my little trailer worked great. Looking forward to the next rally... We have plenty of Chapstick to last us 'til then.

caribou
06-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Temp got up to 97* here today. Pretty hot for around here. Now we have some pretty big thunder and lightning and a little rain. Just hope we don't get any fires. Temps down to 78. Wish we could share the cool down with some of you.

cactusjack
06-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I walked in the door at 9:40 AM. Left Show Low AZ at 6:30, and it was 172 miles to home. Temps were around 60° for the first 50 miles or so. It was about 105° by the time I got home.

Netnorske
06-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Tricia and I got home today around 2:00pm. Got everything unpacked and am now starting on the pile of mail and bills on my desk. We had a great time seeing everyone and putting some more faces to names. Nothing better than a good long bike trip...:D!

nomadtom69
06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
kawhead and I got home Sat. nite about 7pm did 976 friday and 585 Sat. kawhead then took off for home and got there about 3 am Sun morning.

ponch
06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
kawhead and I got home Sat. nite about 7pm did 976 friday and 585 Sat. kawhead then took off for home and got there about 3 am Sun morning.

You should have gone for the SS1000.

cactusjack
06-30-2013, 08:32 PM
You should have gone for the SS1000.

They were towing their bikes.

blowndodge
06-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Marie and I are in Laughlin NV. Got here at 9 am and it was over 120 by 4 pm!! Pulling out at 6am Monday and should be home before noon. The 145 mile ride to Laughlin this morning was super easy. 80 all the way with mild temps and zero wind and traffic.

Sin City Stan
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Marie and I are in Laughlin NV. Got here at 9 am and it was over 120 by 4 pm!! Pulling out at 6am Monday and should be home before noon. The 145 mile ride to Laughlin this morning was super easy. 80 all the way with mild temps and zero wind and traffic.

We left Cedar City at 5am MDT and arrived home at 7am PDT. Temps were lower 60s to 100+ in the Virgin River Canyon. Ran 80 almost all the way. This was my first time running the interstate in the dark. Didn't like it much but we're home safe. It was 117 in LV today. Glad we were not cruising into town in the afternoon. :D

ponch
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Oh My

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4

nomadtom69
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
And if I have to go 1600 miles in 3 days i will tow again loved the rides in the Mtns and if I had rode out that quick I would not have been able to ride Mtns so it is what it is and I would do it again.

ponch
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
And if I have to go 1600 miles in 3 days i will tow again loved the rides in the Mtns and if I had rode out that quick I would not have been able to ride Mtns so it is what it is and I would do it again.

It makes perfect sense. I would have needed an ass transplant if I did 975 miles on my old Nomad.

nomadtom69
06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
if we had rode out Kawhead would have to rode 900/600/500 miles to get there and back in the time he had so we decided on the trailer so we would be fresh for the rally which is must say was a great place and thanks to Joel for all the hard work and putting it together

cactusjack
07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Tom, you and Mike had to cover a lot of country to get to the rally. The important thing is that you went. I'm sorry I didn't get to tell you goodbye, but I really enjoyed meeting you and chatting with you.

dank
07-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Are you saying they traded for Harleys? :D

cactusjack
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Are you saying they traded for Harleys? :D

I don't know what you're referring to, Dan. The two Harleys at the rally were ridden there by their owners. However, there were several Vulcans trailered to the rally. So much for your theory. :P

dank
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Scott, just reflecting what I see when I get out on long rides between towns. Often looks like a harley, pickup, and trailer come as a package deal. But as is oft said, the exception proves the rule! :cheers: :yep:

ponch
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
It's funny. Whenever I've been on the road, HD outnumbers any other bike on the road 20-1.