PDA

View Full Version : Home from Estes

Rasta
06-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Greg H on his Harley and Me on my Nomad Left Estes Park yesterday morning around 7:30 am with the intention of either doing the 700miles to Des Moines or just 500miles to Lincoln Nebraska. At around 4pm when we had stopped for one of our gas stops we had seen that we were making good time and we feeling so good so I called the hotel we were supposed to stay at and cancelled. Around 5:30pm we were going through Lincoln and Greg slowed down and eventually pulled off to the side. We were in a work zone so when he slowed down I went passed him so I wouldn’t get hit by the cars behind me. I slowed down to see what he was doing I stopped on the shoulder. When there was no traffic I turned around and went back to him to see what was happening.Long story short, his front wheel bearings went out on him. Buy the time we got a hold of his Hog people the dealership down the road did not pick their phone.Ened up getting a tow truck to take it to the dealership and I called the hotel and the room was still available. When we found out the dealership wasn’t going to be open until9am we decided maybe it was better for me to ride on home since I had to be at work by 11am. So once everything was lined up and the tow truck showed up 2hrs later I took off for my home. My Nomad and I got home right around 10:30pm.
The tow truck driver told us that he had a Goldwing and was excited to get ready for Sturgis. That’s when I thought about asking Greg if he knew about the fact on Harleys, which is 80% of Harleys made are still on the road……the other 20% made it home!:D I didn’t think he would appreciate that.:shrug:

PS Just got off the phone with him and he just pulling in to his house.:tup:

stretch
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear you both made it home safely. Sorry to hear about Greg's bike trouble. Sounds like the Harley dealer did a good job for him.

Rasta
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks Tim. Yes it was good to see they got him right in and took care of it! It's a good thing it wasn't a Kawi dealer where they don't even stock air filters>:( He said they showed him the bearings they replaced and told him it was good you stopped riding it when he did because others keep riding theirs and in the end they end up looking for a rim too not just bearings!
You guys enjoy rest of the rally:cheers:

blowndodge
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Rasta it was great seeing you! The shoes made the trip! Lol

a340driver
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
We came across a group of bikers in the Rockies, one was delayed on a Goldwing as his bearings went at 140 kms/hr.

davidhollinger
06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Glad your home Amin, sorry about that bike trouble with Greg. Thanks for posting pics also. Sorry I missed out!

schoeney
06-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice meeting you Amin. Sorry we did not talk for long. glad you made it home safely.

Jared
06-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Rasta, it was very nice to meet you! Glad you made it home safely!

glwilson
06-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Glad to hear everyone is making it home safe so far... :cheers:

Also glad to hear there were no incidents in the mountains.

I will be looking to hear more from the remainder of the NCR group that made it to the Black Hills. Ride safe there guys (and Sally)!

Amin... I would be interested to hear more about your friend's front bearing. The year/model of the bike; what he was hearing/feeling to know something was wrong...

A few years ago there were some models known to have front bearing problems. Most specifically '09 Ultra-Classics; but a few others had problems also. The unofficial cause from blog-sites blamed it on bad Chinese bearings being used by HD at that time. Many owners were changing out their bearings with Timken bearings (U.S. made). Anyway... don't want to distract the thread, but would like to know. (Thanks!)

Rasta
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
It was great meeting everyone! Really nice to see people I met at the NCR last year and ride with them again!It was worth while to be there even though I was not there when the rally officially was happening.... I did make the welcome dinner soooooo hmmmmm....Can I say then I was there for the 2013 National Rally?? Nice to put the faces to the names we see on the WWW!
Greg, the Harley was the 08 Ultra Classic(black) that Greg H rides...the same one he had at the NCR rally last year.

Rasta
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Rasta it was great seeing you! The shoes made the trip! Lol

BD,like wise!! maybe this picture will crack you up one more time.:tup:
Peace

glwilson
06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
It was great meeting everyone! Really nice to see people I met at the NCR last year and ride with them again!It was worth while to be there even though I was not there when the rally officially was happening.... I did make the welcome dinner soooooo hmmmmm....Can I say then I was there for the 2013 National Rally?? Nice to put the faces to the names we see on the WWW!
Greg, the Harley was the 08 Ultra Classic(black) that Greg H rides...the same one he had at the NCR rally last year.

Thanks for the info.

As far as claiming your attendance to the rally... I would say yes. There are no rules for how long you have to be there. You just have to show-up. Similar to touching your bike's front tire across a state line so that you can add the state to your map. :D