PDA

View Full Version : GPS + Sena + Bluetooth TX

coffey67
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I bought the Sena helmet communications system for my wife and I to communicate bike-to-bike. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-11-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B0087NB0ZQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368133604&sr=8-5&keywords=Sena+SMH-10+Bluetooth+Headset+Dual+Pack

I have an older Tom-Tom GPS that is meant for the car. It has a speaker in the back and no audio out connections. I am thinking about buying a cheap bluetooth transmitter and connecting a microphone to it and putting it in the GPS case that mounts to my bars. My thought is the mic would pick up the audio prompts and send it to the bluetooth transmitter and the transmitter would send it to my Sena headset. Here is a link to the transmitter I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones-Receivers/dp/B002HHLOWC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368280248&sr=1-2&keywords=blubridge

Any thoughts/experience with this? After spending the $$ on the Sena system I hate to blow more on a new GPS. Seems like the bluetooth enabled GPS units are meant for using your phone to make calls with and not transmitting the audio prompts. The motorcycle specific GPS units are WAY too much $$ too. Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap bastard!

Fooch
05-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Also not wanting to go the $1000 Zumo route, I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 760 on Ebay for about $43. This model has an FM wireless transmitter as well as Bluetooth and an audio out jack and an Mp3 player. I have the same 16GB card in the Garmin as I have in my Ipod Nano with the same music on both. So when I use the Garmin, I play music through the bike FM radio wirelessly. It cuts out the music to give directions. I have Bluetooth paired the Garmin with my cellphone just for kicks and it does work. Although while on the bike you have to scream at the Garmin for the other person to hear you on the cellphone. I believe they make an external wired mic for the Garmin for that.

But I have not tried using the Bluetooth to play music since I don't have a system to pair it with for that. If the music will play through a Bluetooth connected device, such as your Sena communicators, then I would think that this would be the easiest way to go. There's plenty of them available in Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC1&_nkw=Garmin+nuvi+760&_sacat=0&_from=R40

schoeney
05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Do you have a smartphone w/GPS + MP3? If so just pair the Sena with the phone and you are done.

My SENA works great with my Droid. The only device I need to take and everything is BT and can be heard very well thru my Sena MH10. Can also use Pandora, Slacker, Tune In, etc.

Good luck

coffey67
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Do you have a smartphone w/GPS + MP3? If so just pair the Sena with the phone and you are done.

My SENA works great with my Droid. The only device I need to take and everything is BT and can be heard very well thru my Sena MH10. Can also use Pandora, Slacker, Tune In, etc.

Good luck

I have the ol'fashon flip phone. I do not want to pay the extra $50 a month for a data plan. That gets expensive!

Fooch
05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I have the ol'fashon flip phone. I do not want to pay the extra $50 a month for a data plan. That gets expensive!

Virgin Mobile, $45/month, 1200 minutes, unlimited internet/data/text. There's plenty of plans around for that price.

rickyboy
05-12-2013, 01:20 AM

I'm with you "coffee",....I have the 8G iPod with a USB cable into the stereo head unit in my fairing. I also have a B.T. "dongle" attached so it'll go to the SENA. But I wanted more than 8G worth of music. I know that's a ton. I think I have 2000 mp3's on it. But I listen to everything from classical to ZZ Top to Beatles to Dylan to Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks......you name it.
But you don't have to have a smart phone with a data pkg. like you mentioned. ..... I went to my cell ph. carrier and asked what smart phone can I upgrade to, that doesn't need that min. $50, data pkg..they told me of three {there are probably more than that} the Nexus 4, the Galaxy Ace 2 X, and the HTC 1 V . I then went on Craigslist {it's "happening" more than Kijiji here where I am} and shopped for a used HTC 1V. I got one for $100.00 .......I needed to up grade from my 6 yr old Samsung Instinct anyway. It would only take up to a 2G micro SD card. The HTC 1V needs no data pkg. and I had my $50 {2 phones with a basic calling pkg,... month to month plan switched over. The HTC cell phone will take up to a 32G micro SD card. A ton of room for 4000 songs plus room for photos if you want, or fill it with 8000 songs.
The HTC has bluetooth, wifi, wifi hot spot {so if you have wifi at home or if you're in Starbucks you can go online for free}, all the latest bells and whistles. Now I can hook up my phone to the GPS, and then the GPS to the SENA. Play my music, answer the phone if I wtd. and have directions from the GPS when needed. Just a suggestion !
Just when I saw your comment about having to get a data pkg. you don't want or wouldn't use, I thought I'd tell you what I did. Coincidentally I just bought the phone today to do exactly what I mentioned. So have a look at C.L or the other online classified ads for one of the phones I mentioned. The HTC 1V was my choice. I did hear that the HTC battery only lasts for a day though. I'll see I guess.
Good luck !! :cheers:

schoeney
05-12-2013, 01:49 AM

Yeah...it is expensive. If I did not need it for work not sure I would have it either. Maybe Ricky's route is a good way to go.

rickyboy
05-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Yeah...it is expensive. If I did not need it for work not sure I would have it either. Maybe Ricky's route is a good way to go.

Whaddaya mean, "MAYBE Ricky's right" ??? Of curse I'm right ! :lol:
Well I might not always be right but I'm never wrong !!!

schoeney
05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
whaddaya mean, "maybe ricky's right" ??? Of curse i'm right ! :lol:
Well i might not always be right but i'm never wrong !!!

:bs::P:P:D

rickyboy
05-12-2013, 01:03 PM
:bs::P:P:D

Not to skyjack this thread but,....did you decide on a bike yet Greg. I lost where you were with that.

petenomad
05-12-2013, 04:02 PM
My thought is the mic would pick up the audio prompts and send it to the bluetooth transmitter and the transmitter would send it to my Sena headset. Here is a link to the transmitter I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones-Receivers/dp/B002HHLOWC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368280248&sr=1-2&keywords=blubridge

Any thoughts/experience with this?
Instead, I'd open up your TomTom and install a 3.5mm headphone jack onto the speaker wires. Then plug your transmitter into that jack.

schoeney
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Not to skyjack this thread but,....did you decide on a bike yet Greg. I lost where you were with that.

Yes. I bought a Honda ST1300. See my Avatar picture.

Lets ride! :cheers:

rickyboy
05-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Yes. I bought a Honda ST1300. See my Avatar picture.

Lets ride! :cheers:

The member I bought the tour pak and fairing from and who was/is a member here { "strobe"} went from a Nomad to a ST1300 also.

Congratulations on the bike.