PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle Tool Kit

radop
04-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi All,
i am sure I dont need to remind everyone what a piece of C**p the stock tool kit is on the nomad.
I was wondering if anyone had a list of tools they typically carry when on long trips (3/4 days).

any info is appreciated.

thanks
terry

ringadingh
04-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I think the toolkit is good enough, other than the spark plug socket, its never been used. The bike has never let me down away from home requiring me to use it. If I did go on an extended trip, I would bring along a pair of visegrips, phillips screwdriver, and some better wrenches 10-15mm.

ells
04-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Satellite cell phone and unlimited-mileage roadside-assistance membership for sports vehicle , or ride with CaddmannQ or BD. But, I'd agree the likelihood of needing any of it is small, except for tires.

04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I carry the stock kit, plus some extra allen wrenches (because I have a few American bolts on the accessories) plus a small (1/4" drive) socket kit. A quality 18mm spark plug socket. A knife. A pencil. A hand pump for the shocks. An electric pump for the tires. A high quality plug and patch kit for tires. Some rags.

In 30,300 miles I've never used any of it out on a trip for my bike except for the shock pump, tire gage, and screwdriver once when I had a hose clamp leak. I did knock a highway peg loose and have to use allen wrenches to adjust it.

I used the socket wrench on a friend's bike when he lost an air filter bolt. That's about it really.

(And thanks for the vote of confidence, Ells. Perhaps we'll get to Boulder one of these days and twist it on.)

ringadingh
04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
In reality the stock kit is probably enough to get by on, Even with the couple times Caddmann used his tools he most likey could have waited until he got home. Isn't it great to own such a troublefree bike.

nolan
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
"Isn't it great to own such a troublefree bike."

I wish. But even with all the problems I have had with my Nomad, it hasn't left me broke down on the side of the road. Yet.

I have used the tool kit a couple of times. Once with the Nomad and once with the wife's Harley. Yeah, the wife's Harley battery connections have to use a 10mm open wrench. ::)

redeye
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I would add a small pair of vice-grips to your tool kit. In addition to their mulit functions, if you break a clutch or brake lever, you can use them as a temporary replacement until you get home. -Rich

04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
That's a wise move. I do have a pair I should carry.

bobzinger
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I also carry a 3 foot section of 1/2" clear hose and a small roll of duct tape. The hose to siphon gas (if someone runs out) it's clear so I can see the gas moving and not get it in my mouth, and the duct tape for everything else.

cactusjack
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I haven't gone on any long trips, but it's pretty desolate out here. I always carry (in addition to the Kaw kit):

set of metric combination wrenches
metric 3/8" drive sockets
metric 3/8" drive hex sockets
3/8" ratchet
3" 3/8" drive extension
wire cutters
needlenose pliers
roll of electrical tape
assorted zip ties
screwdriver w/interchangeable tips
head lamp (the kind you strap on your head)
a couple feet of baling wire
mini foot pump w/lossless valve
small pair of vise-grips

I need to add a tubeless tire plug kit.

bobzinger
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I like the headlight tip. That's a good one!

cactusjack
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I like the headlight tip. That's a good one!

My son bought one because he likes to hike in the mountains here and sometimes gets caught out there after dark. I liked it so much he got me one for my birthday. It's really handy, you can aim it where you need it and have both hands free for working.

misunderstood
04-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I haven't gone on any long trips, but it's pretty desolate out here. I always carry (in addition to the Kaw kit):

set of metric combination wrenches
metric 3/8" drive sockets
metric 3/8" drive hex sockets
3/8" ratchet
3" 3/8" drive extension
wire cutters
needlenose pliers
roll of electrical tape
assorted zip ties
screwdriver w/interchangeable tips
head lamp (the kind you strap on your head)
a couple feet of baling wire
mini foot pump w/lossless valve
small pair of vise-grips

I need to add a tubeless tire plug kit.

...................................... and a motorcycle jack and stands........... my goodness, where do you put it all. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
One of my friends always carries a lot of tools. So much weight, in fact, that he cracked one of his Leatherlyke saddle bags. I kept telling him he should leave the chain hoist at home. ;)