PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Thoughts on . . .

tomm
01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Sometime before, during or after the National, I was thinking I'd like to ride the loop west on I70 through Glenwood Canyon, then down 127 and 82 through Aspen and across Independence Pass, and then north on 24 through Leadville back to I70.

Anyone have any experience with this route? I understand that parts of the ride across the pass are pretty narrow with steep drop-offs. How does it compare with say, the Beartooth, the ride up Pikes Peak, or passes like Monarch and Loveland?

Also, from Estes Park, it looks like it's over 400 miles round-trip. Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to do this in a day?

petenomad
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Sometime before, during or after the National, I was thinking I'd like to ride the loop west on I70 through Glenwood Canyon, then down 127 and 82 through Aspen and across Independence Pass, and then north on 24 through Leadville back to I70.

Also, from Estes Park, it looks like it's over 400 miles round-trip. Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to do this in a day?

I think that would be a very long day. Probably possible, but remember your average speed will be much reduced on curvy mountain roads. Plus, you will basically not have much time to stop and enjoy the scenery. (Google is showing almost 10 hours and this doesn't count fuel and food stops.)

Is there a particular reason you have to go back to Estes Park?

We've ridden some of this. We came into Leadville from the south and then left on 24 to I-70 towards Glenwood on our way to Moab, UT. This part was pretty pleasant and not as challenging as the Beartooth.

We are tentatively planning on some of these roads as well, but likely will just extend the trip to the rally. This route (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=213827498236330865579.0004d2bd0ccc7f6400c9b) will definitely take 2 more days, but if we do it, we will likely make it 3 so we have time to actually enjoy it.

tomm
01-13-2013, 03:44 PM
I think that would be a very long day. Probably possible, but remember your average speed will be much reduced on curvy mountain roads. Plus, you will basically not have much time to stop and enjoy the scenery. (Google is showing almost 10 hours and this doesn't count fuel and food stops.)

Is there a particular reason you have to go back to Estes Park?

We've ridden some of this. We came into Leadville from the south and then left on 24 to I-70 towards Glenwood on our way to Moab, UT. This part was pretty pleasant and not as challenging as the Beartooth.

We are tentatively planning on some of these roads as well, but likely will just extend the trip to the rally. This route (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=213827498236330865579.0004d2bd0ccc7f6400c9b) will definitely take 2 more days, but if we do it, we will likely make it 3 so we have time to actually enjoy it.

Only reason to go back to Estes Park is if we do it during the rally. Your comments reinforce what I was kind of thinking . . . that it probably makes more sense to do it afterwards as part of the ride home, and spend a couple days doing it. Besides, I'd like to swing through the Tetons as well before pointing the bike east, and this would be sort of on the way.

waterman
01-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Like Pete said that is one long ride. It would leave you no time to enjoy the ride.

landman
01-15-2013, 05:48 PM
from estes that swing thru the tetons will be one BIG swing

mobandy78
01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
I like the area around Aspen and Independence Pass. The road up and down Ind. Pass has a lot of switchbacks and is steep. Some of it is narrow without guardrails (or at least the last time I was there 6 or 7 years ago). I saw a few bikes making that trip when I went across the pass. Middle of October and it was COLD at the top with signs of snow (which I'm sure were still there from the winter before).

tomm
01-15-2013, 08:41 PM
from estes that swing thru the tetons will be one BIG swing

We were out in that area in 2011 and regrettably missed the Tetons.

Pretty clear now that the Aspen loop isn't a day trip from Estes Park, so assuming that time and money cooperate, it will be part of the trip home. Thinking that five days should be more than enough to ride from Estes to the Tetons via Aspen and Independence Pass, then through Yellowstone to Cody, and still have time to enjoy it. Will then head home from Cody.

tomm
01-15-2013, 08:51 PM
I like the area around Aspen and Independence Pass. The road up and down Ind. Pass has a lot of switchbacks and is steep. Some of it is narrow without guardrails (or at least the last time I was there 6 or 7 years ago). I saw a few bikes making that trip when I went across the pass. Middle of October and it was COLD at the top with signs of snow (which I'm sure were still there from the winter before).

We missed this area last time we were out that way and it sounds really spectacular, although a bit intimidating. I suspect there will still be snow at the end of June too.

waterman
01-15-2013, 10:23 PM
We missed this area last time we were out that way and it sounds really spectacular, although a bit intimidating. I suspect there will still be snow at the end of June too.

If the snow keeps coming at the rate it is this year, I doubt it. We are WAY behind on snow in the mountains.

bchris964
04-30-2013, 05:55 AM
yeah its true movie through tetons is too big swing but in my opinion it's not as big as compared to others. so don't stuck on it move forward...

mobandy78
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
If the snow keeps coming at the rate it is this year, I doubt it. We are WAY behind on snow in the mountains.

I know this post is a little dated, but seems like you guys have made up for the low snow totals early in the season. :D Last few storms you guys have had have been big ones. Too bad most of the ski resorts closed about a week too early.