PDA

View Full Version : Dates for 2014 SW Regional Rally

Jared
12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Joel and I are discussing dates for the 2014 SW regional rally. We would like to get everyone input. After we've gotten some ideas thrown around, we will start a poll with specific dates and let everyone vote.

markclark57
12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Do I get to vote after the decision is made again? :tehe:

waterman
12-12-2012, 12:18 PM
One of the issues we are looking at is 1) Month and 2) time of week. With the time of week do we want to hold it as we have with a mid week (Tues, Wed, & Thurs) or do we want to look at a weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun).

Jared
12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
If the rally was on a Fri, Sat, and Sun, I think we'd have a larger attendance and it would require about the same amount of time off (5 days, for most people) for those who have to travel. There are a lot of people (the UT-VROC group is great) who live close enough that they won't have to travel at all, or very little and would definitely attend if it was during a weekend but most likely wouldn't if it required taking time off. Perhaps the 20th,21st, and 22nd?

landman
12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
my preferance would be for june or sept.and on a fri,sat,sun.weekend.

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
One of the issues we are looking at is 1) Month and 2) time of week. With the time of week do we want to hold it as we have with a mid week (Tues, Wed, & Thurs) or do we want to look at a weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun).

I like the mid-week rallies for a couple of reasons:
1. I think it fits well with most people's work schedules.
2. Less tourist traffic during the week, especially at places of interest like national parks, monuments, etc.

As far as month, May would be nice due to the heat, but that won't work for a lot of people. So not being completely selfish, I vote for a date as "early as possible".

blowndodge
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I think 3 days is short.

Jared
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
2. Less tourist traffic during the week, especially at places of interest like national parks, monuments, etc.

As far as month, May would be nice due to the heat, but that won't work for a lot of people. So not being completely selfish, I vote for a date as "early as possible".

It would be pretty darn cold going over Monte Cristo and Mirror Lake pass in May. Those both go up around 10,000. I'd bet it would be in the high 40s going over them that early in the year. I think June would be the best time considering the elevation.

waterman
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I think 3 days is short.

Suggestion?? What would you like to see?

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
It would be pretty darn cold going over Monte Cristo and Mirror Lake pass in May. Those both go up around 10,000. I'd bet it would be in the high 40s going over them that early in the year. I think June would be the best time considering the elevation.

We're going over Monte Cristo and Mirror Lake Pass? Sweet! I don't even think those roads open until Memorial Day.

Jared
12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
We're going over Monte Cristo and Mirror Lake Pass? Sweet! I don't even think those roads open until Memorial Day.

I guess that is still to be decided, but they are definitely the best riding in the area. If I plan the rides, those two are both gonna happen.

blowndodge
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Suggestion?? What would you like to see?

M-F. That would leave most of us the weekend prior to ride up and the weekend after to ride home. Then M-F to relax, ride, rest and party. :tup:

Sin City Stan
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Whatever days you pick are fine by me. However, no later than the first week of June or earlier than the first week of September. 40 degrees over a mountain pass beats 110 degrees through the desert.

Just trying to limit my long distance desert riding to times that are a bit cooler. The road Temp. on the ride back from Kanab was 105-110 degrees going down I15. :ohno:

waterman
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
M-F. That would leave most of us the weekend prior to ride up and the weekend after to ride home. Then M-F to relax, ride, rest and party. :tup:

That could be doable. Everyone could show up as they please and leave when they please.

My trip could be one long day of around 600 miles.

waterman
12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Whatever days you pick are fine by me. However, no later than the first week of June or earlier than the first week of September. 40 degrees over a mountain pass beats 110 degrees through the desert.

Just trying to limit my long distance desert riding to times that are a bit cooler. The road Temp. on the ride back from Kanab was 105-110 degrees going down I15. :ohno:

Any earlier than that and I could be riding in snow. On the way to Cortez I was about 1 hour ahead of it.

Jared
12-12-2012, 03:40 PM

The first 100 miles from Vegas to Cedar City will be hot, but after that you should be just fine.

Jared
12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Any earlier than that and I could be riding in snow. On the way to Cortez I was about 1 hour ahead of it.

I left the day after Joel and had to ride over passes that were in the 20s. It was pretty miserable.

Jared
12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
That could be doable. Everyone could show up as they please and leave when they please.

Just in time for dinner. Isn't that about what I did last summer? :yep: Now if the wife is coming, you may want to change that plan.

wanderer
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
If I had a vote, I would say any month except June. All the regions want to have their rallies in June, and it's almost impossible to make more than one of them. And I like all week also. I'm trying to decide on what to do on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after the National this year!

waterman
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
If I had a vote, I would say any month except June. All the regions want to have their rallies in June, and it's almost impossible to make more than one of them. And I like all week also. I'm trying to decide on what to do on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after the National this year!

Hey Gene, National is still going on Thursday.

waterman
12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Just in time for dinner. Isn't that about what I did last summer? :yep: Now if the wife is coming, you may want to change that plan.

You were just over 600 (640) for the day. The direct route for me will be around 560 to 580 so I could get in before the before dinner coctails begin.

If the wife goes, then its 2 days if she is driving.

Dave
12-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Wow!!! Magellan :tehe:

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
I guess that is still to be decided, but they are definitely the best riding in the area. If I plan the rides, those two are both gonna happen.

I hope there will be a ride to Bear Lake, since we'll be fairly close.

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
The first 100 miles from Vegas to Cedar City will be hot, but after that you should be just fine.

I've got a good 8 hours from Chandler to Cedar City (450+ miles), which is probably where I would stop for the night. In early June it's already around 105° down here, mid June is where we start going north of 110°.

waterman
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Wow!!! Magellan :tehe:

No comments from the clown section.:lol:

waterman
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I've got a good 8 hours from Chandler to Cedar City (450+ miles), which is probably where I would stop for the night. In early June it's already around 105° down here, mid June is where we start going north of 110°.

Depends upon your route but you wouldn't be seeing that for the entire day. Once you get close to Flagstaff and on it won't be that bad.

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Depends upon your route but you wouldn't be seeing that for the entire day. Once you get close to Flagstaff and on it won't be that bad.

Flagstaff won't be bad, but past Flagstaff it will still be well over 100°. You climb up to Flagstaff and then drop back down north of town. Trust me, I know this area. It was damn hot in the Page area during the Kanab Rally.

Sin City Stan
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Actually the first 200 miles. I live on the far south end of the Valley.

Sin City Stan
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
You were just over 600 (640) for the day. The direct route for me will be around 560 to 580 so I could get in before the before dinner coctails begin.

If the wife goes, then its 2 days if she is driving.

540 miles for us. See ya for cocktails. :D

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Actually the first 200 miles. I live on the far south end of the Valley.

You could go to Boulder City and take the highway that goes along the west side of Lake Mead and bypass Vegas altogether.

markclark57
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I had 10 + rides this year above 115° so I know it can be done. Comfortable? not so much. :shrug:

I agree we would have a better turn out if not too near the same time of other rallies. Also since our area includes the hottest real estate in the nation, other than July/August would be nice. :yep:

waterman
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I had 10 + rides this year above 115° so I know it can be done. Comfortable? not so much. :shrug:

I agree we would have a better turn out if not too near the same time of other rallies. Also since our area includes the hottest real estate in the nation, other than July/August would be nice. :yep:

Our region might (has) the biggest difference in weather conditions between locations. Where else in the U.S. can you find hotter than blazes and snowing in the same region on the same day?

As far as having it anywhere close timewise to the other rallies, the only one I would be concerned with is the NW. I can only remember Gene and Bill coming to one of our rallies from east.

waterman
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Flagstaff won't be bad, but past Flagstaff it will still be well over 100°. You climb up to Flagstaff and then drop back down north of town. Trust me, I know this area. It was damn hot in the Page area during the Kanab Rally.

Yes it was hot last year. The ride from Grand Junction to Kanab was warmer than warm.

markclark57
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes it was hot last year. The ride from Grand Junction to Kanab was warmer than warm.

More accurately, the long way back from the North Rim Via 89A to Kanab was Hotter than He!!. :tehe: Especially if you got stuck in the construction back-up and had to wait in the traffic line with no shade. :yep:

ponch
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
my preferance would be for june or sept.and on a fri,sat,sun.weekend.

+1 :tup:

ponch
12-12-2012, 06:15 PM

I hadn't thought about the weather. I'd rather do the weekend just because of having to use vacation time, if that is applicable. Then again, the weather is the weather. We could do October too or May. Both would be cooler.

ponch
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM

It would be 755 miles for me, which is one very long day. :yep::wtf:

blowndodge
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Yea that ride from the north rim to Page and Lake Powell to Kanab had some heat going on. :tup:

Jared
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Most definitely. We'll at least ride part of the coast. Perhaps not around the whole thing.

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Yea that ride from the north rim to Page and Lake Powell to Kanab had some heat going on. :tup:

If I remember right, when we stopped at the Chevron at Lee's Ferry (by the Vermillion Cliffs) it was 108°.

Jared
12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Any thoughts of doing it near Memorial Day?

Sin City Stan
12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
You could go to Boulder City and take the highway that goes along the west side of Lake Mead and bypass Vegas altogether.

Scott I live on the other south side of the Valley. The Strip is about 13 miles north of me and I15 is 4 miles west of me. I'm on the edge of the open desert against the mountains. The Boulder City route adds about 30 miles of what could be hell that time of year. It's a great ride anytime but summer. I believe yountookmthat route one hot day.

Sin City Stan
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Any thoughts of doing near Memorial Day?

Now you're talkin.

Netnorske
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

What he said.....besides....if I have to ride down and back for a weekend rally....I'm into two seperate weeks to allow for travel time. That ain't gonna happen. It's easier (for me anyways) to just take one whole week off.

Netnorske
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM

I know a great place for lunch in Garden City....:yep:! I can't believe how much energy is going into this 2014 Rally already....:crazy:. And I thought I was a plan-aholic....:D.

landman
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
so what are your thoughts kris on making this a combined nw/sw rally again?then you can be one of the plan- aholics.

Netnorske
12-12-2012, 10:08 PM
so what are your thoughts kris on making this a combined nw/sw rally again?then you can be one of the plan- aholics.

Bob, I thought maybe Joel would break it to you gently....but since he hasn't, and you asked....I will fill you in here. Charlie and I have decided that we are going to have a seperate NW Rally in 2014....for several reasons.

First....with another rally during maybe a different month, it will give VBA members more options to attend. If folks can't make one, they can possibly make the other. In our case.....we plan to make both...:P:tup:. Second, we have only had one true NW rally to date, that being 2010 in Kalispell. We have done combined rallies with both the SW group (Crescent City 2011) and the western Canada group (Canmore 2012). It was fantastic on both counts, but think that after a 2013 National, by 2014 it will probably be time to have one of our own again.

As for locations, Charlie and I have just started tossing ideas around, but I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, that it will probably be in Washington or Oregon somewhere. We haven't ruled anything in or out yet as our search has just begun. Our best weather here in the NW is July and August, so we can do a NW rally most likely a month or so later than the SW. We are also hoping to get a few of you SW guys up here and maybe a few of the western Canada guys down here as well.

I'm certain that we will come up with a location that offers some great rides and scenery, something a little off the beaten path away from the traffic centers. When we do, I will be sure to post it so BD can disparage it....(this is a pre-emptive :bird: Brad). At the end of the day....it just gives us all another excuse to ride, hang out and party, but if you're like me....you really don't need one....:cheers:.

cactusjack
12-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Scott I live on the other south side of the Valley. The Strip is about 13 miles north of me and I15 is 4 miles west of me. I'm on the edge of the open desert against the mountains. The Boulder City route adds about 30 miles of what could be hell that time of year. It's a great ride anytime but summer. I believe yountookmthat route one hot day.

Stan,

I guess I thought you lived east of the strip near the mountains. Yes, I did take that route to Mesquite in order to avoid the traffic through Vegas. It was a nice ride, but it was probably 115° that day.

waterman
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Bob, I thought maybe Joel would break it to you gently....but since he hasn't, and you asked....I will fill you in here. Charlie and I have decided that we are going to have a seperate NW Rally in 2014....for several reasons.

Sorry about that Kris. Old age is setting in with CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t).

blowndodge
12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
It was a nice ride

Liar....:tehe:

cactusjack
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Liar....:tehe:

Well, I meant it was a scenic ride. On that day it was like riding through hell. I'm sure it would be a great ride on a day like today.

Jared
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Now you're talkin.

Anyone else interested in a Memorial Day or near Memorial Day rally?

waterman
12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone else interested in a Memorial Day or near Memorial Day rally?

I love how this is getting earlier and earlier. Heck, one year we went to the mountains over memorial day and there was 10 inches of snow on both 1-70 and I-80.

cactusjack
12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I love how this is getting earlier and earlier. Heck, one year we went to the mountains over memorial day and there was 10 inches of snow on both 1-70 and I-80.

I remember it snowing in Salt Lake City on Memorial Day in the late 90's.

wanderer
12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
We could just go visit Scott, I'm sure it won't be snowing there on Memorial Day.

Jared
12-14-2012, 04:15 PM

Anyone want to meet up during New Years? :tehe:

Actually, I ride down to Vegas each year during New Years and it's perfect. There's about 3 or 4 hours of cold weather going down 15, but it definitely worth it to get that mid winter ride in.

markclark57
12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone want to meet up during New Years? :tehe:

Actually, I ride down to Vegas each year during New Years and it's perfect. There's about 3 or 4 hours of cold weather going down 15, but it definitely worth it to get that mid winter ride in.

I'm almost sure that I will be riding on New Years, Not so sure it will be outside the Phoenix Metro. :hmm: I have re-acclimated and like to be warm. :cheers:

cactusjack
12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
We could just go visit Scott, I'm sure it won't be snowing there on Memorial Day.

No, but it's hot enough here by Memorial Day most of you wouldn't want to ride. Late March-early April would be much better.

Jared
12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
No, but it's hot enough here by Memorial Day most of you wouldn't want to ride. Late March-early April would be much better.

Bike week is in March, right? :tup:

cactusjack
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Bike week is in March, right? :tup:

Yeah, usually the last week in March.

markclark57
12-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Yea, right!!! :lmao: I've been in the (Phoenix) Valley for over a year and the only time I've seen Scott is at the Kanab Rally. He's either a Work-o-holic or a Ghost. :tehe:

ponch
12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Yea, right!!! :lmao: I've been in the (Phoenix) Valley for over a year and the only time I've seen Scott is at the Kanab Rally. He's either a Work-o-holic or a Ghost. :tehe:

Scotts a busy and private guy. :D

Jared
12-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, usually the last week in March.

I'd like to make it some year. Seems like Pheonix area is a mecka for the motorcycle industry.

Sin City Stan
12-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Did they make you put chains on your bike before you went over the pass? :D

waterman
12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Did they make you put chains on your bike before you went over the pass? :D

We were in the pickup. Knew that it was going to be too cold up there.