PDA

View Full Version : Do you live in Maricopa County?

cactusjack
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
It's been about 3 1/2 years since then-Governor Janet Napolitano signed off on the legislation to abolish the motorcycle emissions testing program in Maricopa County AZ. The legislation then went to the EPA, where it has probably sat on someone's desk for much of this time.

Good news, though. No - GREAT NEWS - the ADEQ (AZ Dept of Enviornmental Quality) is expecting the EPA to approve it this week, and then it is expected that the motorcycle emissions testing program will be history in the first quarter of calendar year 2013!

Hooray! This means I can get rid of the catalytic converter on my bike!

MarkG
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Crap!>:(Why couldn't they do it the last quarter of this year? My Nomad will have to go in for testing in December.:crazy: At least I won't have to do it next year. I still say, with the newer vehicles, the only reason the testing is used is to make money. I seriously doubt it actually helps with the air quality.

Cajunrider
10-17-2012, 10:14 PM
It's been about 3 1/2 years since then-Governor Janet Napolitano signed off on the legislation to abolish the motorcycle emissions testing program in Maricopa County AZ. The legislation then went to the EPA, where it has probably sat on someone's desk for much of this time.

Good news, though. No - GREAT NEWS - the ADEQ (AZ Dept of Enviornmental Quality) is expecting the EPA to approve it this week, and then it is expected that the motorcycle emissions testing program will be history in the first quarter of calendar year 2013!

You'll be happy to get rid of the Cat.:cheers:

ponch
10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I wonder how the testing will affect me? I am registering the bike this week, or should I say my wife is tomorrow. It'll pass, but I think it's a pain in the but to have to go through. Are there safety inspections too?

ponch
10-17-2012, 10:32 PM

New pipes then?

cactusjack
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
I wonder how the testing will affect me? I am registering the bike this week, or should I say my wife is tomorrow. It'll pass, but I think it's a pain in the but to have to go through. Are there safety inspections too?

Only vehicles older than 5 years need to be tested, but they still charge a fee for it. There's no safety inspection in AZ, although since you are new to the state they will probably require a VIN inspection (as in physically verify the VIN).

markclark57
10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
The test was $19.00 for Grace. ('06 VN1600, Chuckster's Customs Single plate intake, K&N filter, V&H Baggers, PC III-mapped) She passed with lots of room to spare. They checked the VIN both times she went through. The Cat has been gone since '07. I agree that its all about the money. Your motorcycle would have to run like S#*t to fail the test.

ponch
10-18-2012, 12:19 AM
My bike is a 50 state bike, so if I had to, I wouldn't worry about it, it's just the hassle.

ponch
10-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Only vehicles older than 5 years need to be tested, but they still charge a fee for it. There's no safety inspection in AZ, although since you are new to the state they will probably require a VIN inspection (as in physically verify the VIN).

Does that have to be done at the time of the registration?

cactusjack
10-18-2012, 12:53 AM

I didn't have a motorcycle when I moved here from Utah 13 years ago, but we had to have both our cars inspected at the DMV the first time we registered them in AZ. I don't know if the procedure is the same for motorcycles, but I don't know why it would be any different.

Maybe Mark Clark can answer since he brought his bikes here a year ago. Renewals are a piece of cake if you do them online. Takes less than 5 minutes. The less time you have to spend in an AZ DMV office, the better off you are. It's like Ellis Island in those places.

ponch
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
I didn't have a motorcycle when I moved here from Utah 13 years ago, but we had to have both our cars inspected at the DMV the first time we registered them in AZ. I don't know if the procedure is the same for motorcycles, but I don't know why it would be any different.

Maybe Mark Clark can answer since he brought his bikes here a year ago. Renewals are a piece of cake if you do them online. Takes less than 5 minutes. The less time you have to spend in an AZ DMV office, the better off you are. It's like Ellis Island in those places.

I know. I was expecting goats and chickens when I got my DL.

elvis
10-18-2012, 01:03 AM
..... the motorcycle emissions testing program will be history in the first quarter of calendar year 2013!

New pipes then?

It sounds like the new legislation might be costly. Let's see, Rinehart Xtreme True Duals cost around 1,100 bucks. :D

cactusjack
10-18-2012, 01:10 AM
It sounds like the new legislation might be costly. Let's see, Rinehart Xtreme True Duals cost around 1,100 bucks. :D

I was planning on getting slipons anyway, once the testing goes away, I will have the option of getting rid of the stock pipes w/cat. I may or may not.

blowndodge
10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
definitely get head pipes too! Then I'd get a cam.

I've been doing some researching on this and good head pipes, slip ons, big air kit and a stage II cam will get you 20/20 on the HP and TQ scale.

markclark57
10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
definitely get head pipes too! Then I'd get a cam.

I've been doing some researching on this and good head pipes, slip ons, big air kit and a stage II cam will get you 20/20 on the HP and TQ scale.

Does that work on Barney Davidson's? :tehe:

markclark57
10-18-2012, 01:56 PM

There is an emissions testing place in North Scottsdale. All you need is your bike and $19.00. Take that to the MVD to get your new license and registration. You have to show up in person the first time, but the forms are available one line to print and fill out ahead of time if you want to save some "Ellis Island" time. :D

ponch
10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
There is an emissions testing place in North Scottsdale. All you need is your bike and $19.00. Take that to the MVD to get your new license and registration. You have to show up in person the first time, but the forms are available one line to print and fill out ahead of time if you want to save some "Ellis Island" time. :D

I already have my driver license and insurance here, but I haven't done the registration yet. I intend on getting a personalized plate at some point.

ponch
10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Does that work on Barney Davidson's? :tehe:

Probably pretty damn good. HDs seem to wake up when cams are involved.

cactusjack
10-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Ponch's bike is less than 5 years old. It shouldn't require an emission test.

blowndodge
10-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Probably pretty damn good. HDs seem to wake up when cams are involved.

They sure do!

cactusjack
10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I know. I was expecting goats and chickens when I got my DL.

I was working at our corporate office when I took the MSF course and I went on my lunch hour to get my endorsement. Since the corporate building is right by Sky Harbor I went to the AZ MVD office on 23rd St and Washington - just a few miles away. Big mistake (for those of you not familiar with Phoenix, it's not a real nice part of town).

I don't know why, but a certain segment of the population here (read into that whatever you like) feels the need to bring their extended family to the MVD office. A waiting area full of screaming children and the stench of poor personal hygiene is not a great place to spend an hour.

blowndodge
10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Now you know why I never share a room with you good buddy!:lol:

waterman
10-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Now you know why I never share a room with you good buddy!:lol:

The smell of starch and BO would drive CJ nuts.:tup::lmao::lmao:

ponch
10-18-2012, 06:28 PM
The smell of starch and BO would drive CJ nuts.:tup::lmao::lmao:

You forgot post-processed burritos.:tehe:

wildroot
04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Yep, I know. It was supposed to be gone the first quarter 2013....but it is still here. The State does not want to let go of $19..........This goes away about as quick as gas goes down in price.......

markclark57
04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Let's do the time warp again . . . :-) (-:

glwilson
04-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Well then... what will convert your catalytic? :lmao::cheers:

markclark57
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
His catalyst! :lol:

ponch
05-22-2013, 08:10 AM
AZ Rider Motorcycle News

EMISSIONS UPDATE ~ the news we've all been waiting for!!!!
This note just arrived from Billy Larson, MMA-AZ Designated Lobbyist
Hi Everyone,
The light at the end of the tunnel has been reached! Emissions on motorcycles in AZ will no longer be required AFTER June 21st, 2013. ADEQ vehicle emission inspectors will be notifying any motorcycle in line after that date, that EMISSIONS IS NOT REQUIRED!
A BIG Thanks to everyone involved...
If there are any questions, Please contact;
Billy Larson, at 623-308-0676
or Bobbi Hartman, at 602-672-3531
[signed]
Billy Larson, (DESPRADO)
MMA-AZ Eagle Dist. BOS
MMA-AZ Designated Lobbyist

cactusjack
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Free at last...lordy, I'm free at last!

Here's the official information from the Federal Register;
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/05/22/2013-12091/approval-and-promulgation-of-implementation-plans-arizona-motor-vehicle-inspection-and-maintenance

ponch
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I am glad about this too. One question I have though and it's related to why there was a emissions check...How the hell did Janet Incompetano get elected in AZ?

cactusjack
05-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I am glad about this too. One question I have though and it's related to why there was a emissions check...How the hell did Janet Incompetano get elected in AZ?

Beats me, I didn't vote for her. I believe she was the governor who signed the bill to get the motorcycle emissions testing stopped. In my opinion, that was the only good thing she did as governor.

ponch
05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Beats me, I didn't vote for her. I believe she was the governor who signed the bill to get the motorcycle emissions testing stopped. In my opinion, that was the only good thing she did as governor.

I thought it was enacted by her...

cactusjack
05-22-2013, 11:49 PM
No. As I understand it, this was a temporary experiment by the EPA, which is why this is the only county in the nation that had the program. Emission testing bikes made a negligible change in the air quality so the program has been terminated.