PDA

View Full Version : question on Cobra fuel processor

smokey
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Cobra was no help at all and didn't answer my question, on the "pots" that are on the manual tuner, does increasing the number richen or lean the fuel mixture? I have the auto tuner but they sent me a new board with a "tunable pot" to tune the low end mixture but they never let me know how the adjustments work.

Vulcan Hammer
10-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Cobra was no help at all and didn't answer my question, on the "pots" that are on the manual tuner, does increasing the number richen or lean the fuel mixture? I have the auto tuner but they sent me a new board with a "tunable pot" to tune the low end mixture but they never let me know how the adjustments work.

O.K., I'm going to risk sounding like a "smart ass" and ask if you have simply tried turning the pot up one increment at a time until your popping goes away?

Generally, increasing the settings on most pot-based fuel managers increases richness, which is what you want to do to decrease decel popping (which is caused from running too lean).

Like you, though, I am surprised that Cobra provided no instructions or suggested base line settings.

smokey
10-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Okay "smart ass" LOL, yes I have tried both lowering and raising the number, there doesn't seem to be much difference which probably explains why the popping remains. They do provide instructions with the manual tuner and it comes with baseline settings, but they do not state whether it richens or leans which is what i wanted to know, right now the pot they installed is set at 4, which gives a brown exhaust residue at the tail pipe.

Vulcan Hammer
10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Okay "smart ass" LOL, yes I have tried both lowering and raising the number, there doesn't seem to be much difference which probably explains why the popping remains. They do provide instructions with the manual tuner and it comes with baseline settings, but they do not state whether it richens or leans which is what i wanted to know, right now the pot they installed is set at 4, which gives a brown exhaust residue at the tail pipe.

I'm not overly familiar with the new PowerPro (and it sounds like Cobra isn't either!), so you will have to advise how many settings are possible on the new single Pot they provided.

However, if neither direction seems to help, then the zone in which it adds fuel (if that is even what it does!), is likely not the one in which you need to add fuel to reduce popping.

The PowerPro just doesn't seem to provide enough flexibility to override the settings it chooses to optimize combustion. The air/fuel ratio it chooses for peak performance is often on the edge of lean, which is clearly too lean for your Cobra Tri Ovals.

Either that, or you have an undetected intake or exhaust leak somewhere. Since so many Vulcan 1700s seem to have a popping problem, It cannot be that everyone has air leaks!!!

My thoughts are that there is something unique about the 1700 engine management system that makes it prone to decel popping after you make any modificiations. Every other bike I have had, whether carbed or injected, was much simpler to dial out decel popping, even with extreme exhaust or intake mods.

smokey
10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
There are setting up to the number 6 on the pot, right now it is not too bad, even with the stock exhaust you get the popping, it is just muffled very well, if you listen closely on decel you will hear it. As long as it doesn't start backfiring again as it did a few time, otherwise I will go back to the stock pipes again, I had them on the other day and changed back to see if there would be any difference in gas mileage, it didn't seem to make any difference so if the popping annoys me enough, I at least have the option of going back to stock.

jd521
10-11-2012, 03:59 AM
I am too new to the 1700 engine in these bikes,however , on my Mean Streak which was a 1600 ( 1552 cc) there were a couple things we had to deal with on similar problems. I even encountered a unique problem with aftermarket exhaust that I should have never had. The 1600's had ISC solenoids on the right side ( allowed fresh air to enter to clean up exhaust for the goat belly Cat) Unhooking the electrical connections , taping them off( even removing the extra parts from the dog bowl area) and then using a supplied steel marble from Chuckster's Custom Intake Mod to block off the Crankcase air to the air box mod on the right side was supposed to help greatly. And it would have if I would not have had a couple other problems discovered much later. Had the MS dyno tuned and was able to get much more decel popping out ,but, not all. Changed the Exhaust gaskets from KAWI's to the H-D and that helped some more. Few months later , decided to change the gaskets again, and found the rear cylinder header pipe CRACKED ( broken). Replaced the exhaust system and no more problems. So, you see, it was a combination of problems that lead up to the decel popping.
Now, I have only had my Vaquero about 2 + weeks and only 560 miles right now. I was planning on waiting until next year to do any " BIG 3 " Mods so, I am watching your posts for problems and I see a little similarity. Just downloaded the Service Manual for the Vaquero and will do some studying and comaparison.

Monkeyman
10-11-2012, 06:57 AM
...right now the pot they installed is set at 4, which gives a brown exhaust residue at the tail pipe.

I had 4 pots of chili once. I certainly had a brown exhaust residue at MY tail pipe.

It cannot be that everyone has air leaks!!!

According to RACNRAY, most 1700s do have an air leak. Something about the intake and/or throttle body. I think he even machined his to get rid of the leak.

RACNRAY
10-11-2012, 09:56 AM
I had 4 pots of chili once. I certainly had a brown exhaust residue at MY tail pipe.

According to RACNRAY, most 1700s do have an air leak. Something about the intake and/or throttle body. I think he even machined his to get rid of the leak.

The occurance of vacuum leaks between the throttle body and intake manifold is much more wide spread than most realize. Enough of a problem that Thunder is now offering a nice gasket to be installed between the t/b and manifold. EVERYONE that has installed this gasket has noticed a big improvement in performance and a reduction in decel popping.

When my Vaquero started running poorly last year I investigated into vacuum leaks on my skoot, as another forum member had already found on his skoot. My skoot had leaks, and I did the machining on my parts. The skoot runs flawless.

We did a Vaquero bout 2 months ago, found it had vacuum leaks at 760 miles! We installed tri-ovals, BAK, and did the machining to the intake parts. The skoot was custom mapped on my dyno, with proper tuning we have absolutely NO popping on decel.

RACNRAY

smokey
10-11-2012, 12:54 PM
The gasket is nice but at $28 or so for shipping it is a little expensive for a $6 gasket, now if someone wanted to get one and mail it to me in an envelope, I would appreciate it.

Pitchinguy
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah, shipping's a little strong. A little over $15 to me. Total was $21.98. I ordered one anyway. My popping seems to be just getting worse & if this can help popping & performance, it'll be worth it to me. Can't hurt & it's not much $, so why not. Wonder where Kaw is on this? Thunder makes a gasket for a known TB leak but the mfg does not....or do they? Hmmmm...

BC RED VAQ
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I have had the air leak fixed and the poppind in gone

Pitchinguy
10-11-2012, 02:49 PM
UPDATE! Just got an email from Paypal that Thunder mfg refunded me $7.29 for overcharge on shipping. That puts the total cost for the gasket & shipping at $14.69. Not to mention, I just ordered this AM & have already received a status "shipped" email with a UPS tracking #. A big kudos to Thunder Mfg!!

BC RED VAQ, great news & encouraging to hear! thanks!

jd521
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I will follow. Ordered a Thunder Mfg. Gasket.
Not going to wait for Kawasaki to do a recall.
Thank you all. I' ll keep watching.

smokey
10-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I just ordered a gasket from Thunder, I will be interested to see if it makes any difference. Apparently the shipping quote is way out of whack, and the actual shipping to me will be a lot less.

redjay
10-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Let us know if there is any difference after the gasket is installed.

1oldtimer
10-14-2012, 07:20 PM
I just installed the gasket on my 2012 Voayager and IMO it made a world of differance. I am still all stock though except for Rays Throttle mod. Decel popping is 90% gone. I believe what is left is due to my not keeping the rpm's up. Definetly money well spent.

Pitchinguy
10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
My gasket came & I finally got it on this AM. What a difference! It's like a different bike. I would also say 90% of the popping is gone! It's sure is nice not trying to hold the throttle just right on decel to minimize popping. Definitely the best $15 & 30 min I've spent on my bike!

For those that haven't done it yet, it wasn't nearly as bad of a job as I thought it was going to be. I didn't take the seat or gas tank off. Removed the right air cover. Then I used a set of long handle needle-nose pliers with the tip on a 45* angle to go between the tank & breather housing & pull the air switching valve hose off the back of the air breather housing. Disconnected the temp sensor connector & removed the housing. Then disconnected the vacuum hose on top of the throttle body & unplugged the throttle position sensor connector on the right. Removed the 3 throttle body bolts & was able to pull the throttle body away from the intake manifold about an inch. Didn't have to mess with throttle cables. I used an automotive mirror to check the O rings on the back of the throttle body & then slipped the gasket in between & hung it on the manifold alignment pin. The gasket comes with a hole for the alignment pin. Checked everything with the mirror again & then put the throttle body bolts in finger tight. Opened the butterfly & checked again to make sure the gasket wasn't misaligned in the intake. Torqued the bolts & put it back together. Took just a little under 30 min. Much better than I expected!

Kudos to RACNRAY for his research & a big THANKS!! for sharing the info with us! :tup:

smokey
10-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I guess I will find out tomorrow, going to do a buddies bike in the morning, it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.