PDA

View Full Version : 03 oil filter recall

vanb
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi everyone,just bought a 03 Nad and found out it was one of those with the oil filter recall.With the original Kaw oil filter the oil pressure was too much and would split the seam on the filter and oil would run out.So Kaw solution was to put a canister type filter on it.Has anyone with that bike switched to a spin on oil filter that would hold up to this pressure and what brand is it?Now the problem is the oil filter adapter that goes on first came off with the filter and I guess I need a special Kaw tool to get it off.Thanks

rlfaubion
04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I've upgraded (or not) to the new filter. You'll have to order it through Kawa only. If you're not having a leaking problem, I'd wait. It's a pain in the a$$ to deal with. In other words, don't do it until you need to. I don't mean to sound coy. I know this is an important issue to us, but I question how many bikes it affects. I'd hold off if you're not having a problem at this time.

redeye
04-16-2008, 01:39 AM
The spin on oil filter for my '03 is Wal-Mart brand #7317. It's supposed to be one of the better ones avaliable. -Rich

rlfaubion
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
The spin on oil filter for my '03 is Wal-Mart brand #7317. It's supposed to be one of the better ones avaliable. -Rich

Keep in mind that filter is for a VN1500 and I believe Vanb's bike is a VN1600. However, you're right about being able to buy filters before the recall mod at at Walmart. After the mod, they're available through Kawa dealers for about $12.

dragon57
04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Gadgets fixit page for Nomads has a list of compatable filters.

Iamriding
04-22-2015, 08:47 PM
I did my first oil change today on my '03 1500. I had bought a spin on filter at the dealership when I bought the bike as I like to do an oil change shortly after bringing a new bike home. I was surprised to find the canister filter, and after some searching found this thread.

For me, I'll be leaving the recall filter system on the bike as I am not willing to risk the spin on filter rupturing. It means a trip to the dealer to get the right filter insides, but lesson learned about my "new" bike.

Thought I would revive this thread in case anyone else buys an older bike that might have had the recall done.

Cheers