PDA

View Full Version : Trail Ridge Ride

usranger74
08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
http://goo.gl/maps/8j7Yy

Some food for thought.

The Trail Ride Road up and over Rocky Mt Nat. Park is a spectacular ride but it is not necessarily and fun ride in a car or motorcycle.

The Park is a destination for folks from all over the world. Many of them fly into Denver and rent RVs. Those RVs are often driven by flat landers who panic when they see a curve. The same can be said for many of the cars on the road. The end result is often a clogged road with slow moving RVs and cars and with many overlooks and parking areas packed. On top of all that, the road is often under "repair".

The best time to ride Trail Ridge is at first light. Get up and get going before the tourist hit the road. The problem with that is, it's cold at 12,000 feet or at least it can be.

The "ride' I have outlined above is worth a look. If I do it, I am on the Trail Ridge Road by 0630.

If you have ridden the Bear Tooth High Way in MT and think that Trail Ride Road might be the similar you are right in that both are high altitude roads with fantastic views. But on the Bear Tooth you can often cruise at 40-50 MPH, you are above 10,000 feet much longer, the road is better and traffic jams are rare and there are few RVs.

pronghorn
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I've riden Trailridge 3 times this year and traffic has not been a problem. Weekends are the worst times and there is less traffic riding west to east. It is not a fast ride at anytime, they patrol both sides. For fast and twisty there is Peak to Peak south out of Estes and loop around over Berthoud Pass and finish in Estes. If you come to Estes Trailridge should be on your bucket list for the scenic reasons and pure enjoyment.

mobandy78
08-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I've riden Trailridge 3 times this year and traffic has not been a problem. Weekends are the worst times and there is less traffic riding west to east. It is not a fast ride at anytime, they patrol both sides. For fast and twisty there is Peak to Peak south out of Estes and loop around over Berthoud Pass and finish in Estes. If you come to Estes Trailridge should be on your bucket list for the scenic reasons and pure enjoyment.

I've been over Berthoud Pass a few times in the winter. Can be a tricky drive in blowing snow. :yep: I even tried to ski there the first year I went across it, but we arrived too late and didn't get to ski it. I would have had to take an avalanche course before hand and I was too late in the day for it... oh well. It is a neat drive from I-40 to Winter Park, though.

waterman
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
If it is dry, I might give Old Fall River Road a try. Dirt all the way to the top. I've taken it in a car.

Sin City Stan
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
If it is dry, I might give Old Fall River Road a try. Dirt all the way to the top. I've taken it in a car.

We drove it in a 1978 Chevy Blazer. It was a year old. Not sure if I will give it a go on a bike.

waterman
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
We drove it in a 1978 Chevy Blazer. It was a year old. Not sure if I will give it a go on a bike.

Drove it a couple years ago in a car. No problem.

usranger74
08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
I am not saying the ride on Trailridge is not worth the time. If you have not done it, it's worth the time. All I am saying is that the road has a lot of traffic on it, parts of the road are not in good repair and even on weekdays many of the parking lots and overlooks are full. Your best chance for light traffic is an early morning ride. The route I outlined in fact takes you up and over Trailride. Mid to late June if the peak time for visitation to the Park.

waterman
09-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I am not saying the ride on Trailridge is not worth the time. If you have not done it, it's worth the time. All I am saying is that the road has a lot of traffic on it, parts of the road are not in good repair and even on weekdays many of the parking lots and overlooks are full. Your best chance for light traffic is an early morning ride. The route I outlined in fact takes you up and over Trailride. Mid to late June if the peak time for visitation to the Park.

Bill, they actually repaved a big chunk of trailridge a couple of years ago. Most of it is in very good shape. Weekdays are a whole lot better for that drive than any weekend.

cactusjack
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Bill, what you say is true for nearly every National Park. When we were in Arches in 2010, the place was packed with idiots in rented motorhomes. One of them nearly took out a bunch of our bikes in a parking lot. Yellowstone and Yosemite can be horrible to drive through, traffic wise.

One of the things I like about Trip's propensity to schedule rallies during the middle of the week is that there is usually less tourist traffic.

usranger74
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Bill, what you say is true for nearly every National Park. When we were in Arches in 2010, the place was packed with idiots in rented motorhomes. One of them nearly took out a bunch of our bikes in a parking lot. Yellowstone and Yosemite can be horrible to drive through, traffic wise.

One of the things I like about Trip's propensity to schedule rallies during the middle of the week is that there is usually less tourist traffic.

CJ - Could not agree with your more. That's why I don't care to ride in NPs. Great places to visit and enjoy but not a good ridding experience.

Sin City Stan
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Our route to and from the Rally will take us on Trail Ridge Road. We will be looking forward to other routes during the Rally.:yep:

Loafer
09-08-2012, 06:23 AM
I plan on going to the rally, not sure how much riding I will be up for
when I get there. That loop looks like a must do.

waterman
09-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I plan on going to the rally, not sure how much riding I will be up for
when I get there. That loop looks like a must do.

Good to hear Gerry. There will be a couple rides that might be a must.

Top Cat
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Since there are no planned group rides for the National :wtf: I have been researching on my own for scenic rides to take while there.
I have a 290 mile ride planned but it includes the trail Ridge, which on further research says it is 48 miles from Estes Park to Grand Lake and takes 2 hours. If this is correct it does not leave us much time for the other 242 miles.
Would we be better off taking Bill's route and doing the Trail Ridge ride by itself on a different day?
Also, it would be nice if someone familiar with the area would plan and lead a ride to the Garden of the Gods from the motel.
I researched that also and there are a lot of roads there and it would be nice to know which to take.
According to my mapsource program some of them may be one way, is this correct?

waterman
11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Tim,

At some point we will have ride maps up that Pronghorn and I came up with.

Garden of the God??? That would be one long day. Longer than the 290 you have on the trail ridge ride. That is a doable ride. I've done it myself. Doesn't leave alot of time for stops but there is some.

Since there are no planned group rides for the National :wtf: I have been researching on my own for scenic rides to take while there.
I have a 290 mile ride planned but it includes the trail Ridge, which on further research says it is 48 miles from Estes Park to Grand Lake and takes 2 hours. If this is correct it does not leave us much time for the other 242 miles.
Would we be better off taking Bill's route and doing the Trail Ridge ride by itself on a different day?
Also, it would be nice if someone familiar with the area would plan and lead a ride to the Garden of the Gods from the motel.
I researched that also and there are a lot of roads there and it would be nice to know which to take.
According to my mapsource program some of them may be one way, is this correct?

ponch
11-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Tim,

At some point we will have ride maps up that Pronghorn and I came up with.

Garden of the God??? That would be one long day. Longer than the 290 you have on the trail ridge ride. That is a doable ride. I've done it myself. Doesn't leave alot of time for stops but there is some.

Isn't garden of the gods in Colorado Springs? I've been there.

Top Cat
11-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Isn't garden of the gods in Colorado Springs? I've been there.

Yes it is a 380 mile trip from the motel in Estes Park and back the way I have planned.

audiogooroo
11-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I can see it from my house! :)

Top Cat
11-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I can see it from my house! :)

Cool Daryl. I could ride to it from the motel and spend the night at your place.
That shortens the trip considerably :lmao:

ponch
11-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Yes it is a 380 mile trip from the motel in Estes Park and back the way I have planned.

It's not a huge park. Pretty though. I enjoyed it.

Top Cat
11-07-2012, 12:35 AM
I have never been out to the western states.
I want to see some of the sites while there but still want to have time to meet and socialize with you guys I have only talked to on here.
The rides I have planned so far will take up two of the three days I'm at the rally.
May have to rethink this a little :hmm:

ponch
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
I have never been out to the western states.
I want to see some of the sites while there but still want to have time to meet and socialize with you guys I have only talked to on here.
The rides I have planned so far will take up two of the three days I'm at the rally.
May have to rethink this a little :hmm:

Well I hope to meet you TC.

Top Cat
11-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Same here Jim.

Blueraven
11-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Here is a suggestion. There is a website called www.Everytrail.com (http://www.Everytrail.com). Why don't we set up an account for all to access and upload our routes/tracks up to it and then everyone can see the trails and the elevations of a particular ride. Then when the time comes, we can pic an choose what rides to do. I know that Basecamp allows you to convert routes to tracks to be uploaded. Then, you can download it to your GPS of your choice. Just a thought.

waterman
11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Here is a suggestion. There is a website called www.Everytrail.com (http://www.Everytrail.com). Why don't we set up an account for all to access and upload our routes/tracks up to it and then everyone can see the trails and the elevations of a particular ride. Then when the time comes, we can pic an choose what rides to do. I know that Basecamp allows you to convert routes to tracks to be uploaded. Then, you can download it to your GPS of your choice. Just a thought.

Rhys,

Trip has the routes and is putting them into some GPS program that you can download and enter.