PDA

View Full Version : Spring time ride

Idaho
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Temp in Pocatello today hit 69 degrees. Wife and I decided to head out on the Nomad to find a nice salad for lunch. We rode to Soda Springs in the SE corner of the state, about 65 miles from home. There is a 6,600 foot pass just on the other side of Lava Hot Springs named Fish Creek, rolling down the east side of the pass we spotted a small herd of elk feeding on the open hillside a few hundred feet below the road. I've never seen elk there and that was a nice surprise. Soda is at 5,400 above sea level and, as we found out, a bit colder than Poky. Alexander Reservior just outside of town is still frozen over. We both had on coats and I had my chaps on so we did not freeze but Annie was getting cold by the time we arrived. There is a hotel on Main St. that has been remodeled with very nice solid oak trim and ceramic tile throughout the building. We selected a table near the back of the restaurant, named the Gyser Cafe, with Ann facing the back door. Right at the top of the hour the gyser went off and blew hot water about 60 feet in the air for a full 5 minutes, it was beautifully framed in the door. Clear blue sky and a white fountain added a nice touch to the meal. On the way back we took old Hwy 30 through Bancroft and was amazed at the depth of the snow still on the fields.

There were bikes out everywhere loaded with what I call happy people, aka people on motorcycles. Followed two on the way down to Lava Hot Springs where they dropped off. Then we wound up following another bike on a back road from McCammon along the Portneuf River all the way to Pocatello. Turns out that he lives in the same neigborhood that we do and we followed him almost to his house before we turned off. We wondered what he was thinking because we followed him for about 20 miles.

Bike ran awesome and when I filled it up after we got home I found out that it got just over 42 mpg. All in all a very nice day.

cactusjack
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
That's a man-made geyser, if I recall. My wife has family in SS.

Idaho
04-13-2008, 10:04 PM

It is man made to extent that they capped it and put a valve to allow it to blow vertically every hour. Still naturally heated water under pressure and impressive none the less. Soda is a nice place to visit, or ride through on the way to Montpelier and Bear Lake or Star Valley Wyoming and Palisades Reservoir, but I would not want to live there.

Top Cat
04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Idaho, It seems good to hear everyone is out riding and not trapped by the weather. I pick my bike up tomorrow from shop. getting Metz put on http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds cool Idaho. Sounds like a nice place.

cactusjack
04-13-2008, 11:51 PM

It is man made to extent that they capped it and put a valve to allow it to blow vertically every hour. Still naturally heated water under pressure and impressive none the less. Soda is a nice place to visit, or ride through on the way to Montpelier and Bear Lake or Star Valley Wyoming and Palisades Reservoir, but I would not want to live there.

My wife's grandma used to make homemade root beer with the naturally carbonated spring water from there. It gets very cold in that valley in winter, as you probably know.

Idaho
04-13-2008, 11:58 PM

My wife's grandma used to make homemade root beer with the naturally carbonated spring water from there. It gets very cold in that valley in winter, as you probably know.

As we rode into town one of the motels had a sign out front that said "See you in the Spring". There is still a couple of feet of snow in front of the place.

vroc13091
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Idaho,

Sounds like Y'all had a great spring day ride.

I travel US 30 from Granger to Pocatello when I'm up visiting the grand kids. It is a nice cruising two lane. I remember going across that pass one December (in a cage) pulling a trailer. Interesting to say the least.

Never been on Old US30 before. Looks like it might be some nice scenery where it goes along the river.

I'll have to stop off and see that old geyser the next time I'm up there. Maybe in July.

Idaho
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Chuck,

Yes there is some great scenery along HWY 30. You may not know it but that highway goes across the US from coast to coast. It also has a reputation along its route as a bad road. Went right by where I grew up in Ohio near Mansfield.

Give me a yell when you pass through here.