PDA

View Full Version : Vaquero still a bit heavy...

cheriann
07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
....I am still adjusting to the weight difference from my old 900LT. I was backing it out of the garage yesterday and it tipped over on me a bit. Not all the way and no damage. I told Chaz it just feels heavier than when I ride his Nomad. He tried to tell me they weighed the same...until he checked the stats on the web.....my bike is 50 pounds heavier than his 07 Nomad!!!! :cry:

Riding it and straight on parking is no problem. It's the slower stuff that tests my strength! I think I'll start working out with weights instead of my pedal bicycle :wtf:

AlabamaNomadRider
07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Going from a 900 to the Vaquero is a huge weight increase. Do be careful until you have adjusted.

I went from a Honda VTX1300 to the Nomad and it is about 100 pounds heavier. I found out the hard way the extra weight can cause you to drop the bike and get your leg trapped under it.

Monkeyman
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
He tried to tell me they weighed the same...until he checked the stats on the web.....my bike is 50 pounds heavier than his 07 Nomad!!!!

Of course it's heavier. You have a full fairing, stereo, lowers, etc plus some added electronics for the stereo and cruise control. I'm surprised it's only 50 pounds heavier.

mrtelefoneman1
07-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Check out Jerry 'Motorman' Paladino's DVDs if you haven't already. Lots of good tips and tricks to help you handle a heavy bike.

glwilson
07-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey Cherie... use short, small steps when moving the bike manually.

Too long of steps and the bike rocks back-n-forth more. If that happens when you are taking longer strides.. and one of your feet slips... it will go over easier.

Also... are your feet flat-footed on the ground when you straddle the bike? If not, get different shoes with higher soles on them so they are.

You should have seen one of the Kawasaki reps down in Maggie Valley. She was all of about 4' 11" -- if that. Her boots were custom-made with 4" soles on them to make here taller. Looked strange, but worked.

Just a suggestion...:cheers:

ringadingh
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I remember her, she could sure ride a bike with no problems, and she was an older gal as well.

ponch
07-09-2012, 01:08 AM
....I am still adjusting to the weight difference from my old 900LT. I was backing it out of the garage yesterday and it tipped over on me a bit. Not all the way and no damage. I told Chaz it just feels heavier than when I ride his Nomad. He tried to tell me they weighed the same...until he checked the stats on the web.....my bike is 50 pounds heavier than his 07 Nomad!!!! :cry:

Riding it and straight on parking is no problem. It's the slower stuff that tests my strength! I think I'll start working out with weights instead of my pedal bicycle :wtf:

The Nomad is close to 820lbs wet, meaning oil, antifreeze and a full gas tank. The Vaquero is about 835lbs wet. Both are heavy bikes.

Monkeyman
07-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Also... are your feet flat-footed on the ground when you straddle the bike? If not, get different shoes with higher soles on them so they are.

Higher soles are GROOOVY, man!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/Primatepapa/FadPlatformShoes.jpg

cheriann
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Going from a 900 to the Vaquero is a huge weight increase. Do be careful until you have adjusted.

I went from a Honda VTX1300 to the Nomad and it is about 100 pounds heavier. I found out the hard way the extra weight can cause you to drop the bike and get your leg trapped under it.

Thank you! You can certainly understand what I going through!!! I hope I don't have to learn the hard and painful way like you did....YIKES!

Check out Jerry 'Motorman' Paladino's DVDs if you haven't already. Lots of good tips and tricks to help you handle a heavy bike.

Excellent idea! Thank you!

Hey Cherie... use short, small steps when moving the bike manually.

Too long of steps and the bike rocks back-n-forth more. If that happens when you are taking longer strides.. and one of your feet slips... it will go over easier.

You should have seen one of the Kawasaki reps down in Maggie Valley. She was all of about 4' 11" -- if that. Her boots were custom-made with 4" soles on them to make here taller. Looked strange, but worked.

Just a suggestion...:cheers:

You make a good point!!!! Now that I think about it, I am probably making those longer stride steps!!!!! What a brilliant suggestion, to make shorter ones!!! I am going to consciously think about that when I get on my bike again! Thank you!

As for flat footed...I confess....sitting on level ground, I am flat footed. I notice that when I stop at a traffic light and the ground is sloped more to one side, I can only flat foot on one side of the bike. So, I just barely make it...I may need to shop for higher heeled boots ! :yep:

Thanks for the great ideas and suggestions......and not making fun of me!!!! :cheers:

cheriann
07-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Chaz told me if I think the Vaquero is too heavy, he'll give me his Nomad and trade the Vaquero in for a Voyager for him!!!! :bird:

LOL! Every time we go to the dealership to get something, or oil changes, he goes over and sits on the Voyager. We were there Saturday and here he is, sitting on a pretty Voyager! (Not the best quality, taken with my Blackberry)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/CheriKarp/ChazVoyager.jpg

Loafer
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Greg has 6" heels on his boots, (custom made at the 'Disney for Dwarfs' leather shop) I'm
surprised he didn't give you the link. Or......maybe he was embarrassed and sent a PM. Sorry,
none of you heard this. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :tehe:

Monkeyman
07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Greg has 6" heels on his boots, (custom made at the 'Disney for Dwarfs' leather shop) I'm
surprised he didn't give you the link. Or......maybe he was embarrassed and sent a PM. Sorry,
none of you heard this. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :tehe:

Just double checking. You do or don't want anyone to hear this?

Loafer
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Well the potato is out of the sack now!

gman47
07-09-2012, 11:33 AM
In order to gain more footing, I took my seat apart and cut off the flanges on the seat pan. Not sure a Vaq has flanges but I gain maybe an inch of extra reach.

glwilson
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Well the potato is out of the sack now!

I AM an expert at being short... YOU should have more respect!:P:D

Loafer
07-09-2012, 08:22 PM
I AM an expert at being short... YOU should have more respect!:P:D

You just keep taking those small short steps, I wouldn't want to hear about you falling over.

Bobblefoot, I wonder if that is kind of like Bigfoot? :P:tehe:

glwilson
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
You just keep taking those small short steps, I wouldn't want to hear about you falling over.

Bobblefoot, I wonder if that is kind of like Bigfoot? :P:tehe:

I hope you guys are having fun :P

bouson
07-09-2012, 11:07 PM

Cheri,
After grinding the location pin off the back of the switch assembly I tilted my handlebars back and down. I find it a lot easier to handle now at speeds below 10 mph and it comes off the stand easier.
Try just adjusting the bars back and down and see if it doesn't come off the stand easier for you. If so ride it around a little at slow speed. If works then remove the location pin off the switch assembly and adjust the switches and levers to suit your taste.

Idaho
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Darn good thing we are all friends here. :ohno:

Cheri Ann, just take your time and go slow for a while and you will be okay. As Greg said, take small steps when moving the bike. Also, when you come to a stop ONLY put down your left foot until you come to a dead stop. That way you can keep your right foot on the rear brake peddal and stop the bike. If you put both feet down too soon and try to stop with just the front brake you will wind up with the bike on its side. Not good.

Loafer
07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Darn good thing we are all friends here. :ohno:

Cheri Ann, just take your time and go slow for a while and you will be okay. As Greg said, take small steps when moving the bike. Also, when you come to a stop ONLY put down your left foot until you come to a dead stop. That way you can keep your right foot on the rear brake peddal and stop the bike. If you put both feet down too soon and try to stop with just the front brake you will wind up with the bike on its side. Not good.

That is excellent advice. :tup:

cheriann
07-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Thank you all again for the great tips....and the big laughs!!! :tehe:

glwilson
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
You can always count on the clowns to show up!:D

Grump
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM

I'm 5'6" on a good day and have NOT lowered my vaq, nor will I.
Three things...
1) I have some thick soled jungle boots which make me feel taller.
2) I bolted a hockey puck under my kickstand foot, now the bike doesn't lean near as far.
3) I changed bars to an arlen ness drag/pullback. The controls are now closer to me and I feel like the bike isn't as big as it used to be.

Good luck with your new bike!

cheriann
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
I realize my mind is playing with me....I keep expecting to have problems when I move my bike...anything that has my feet on the ground, like backing up...I didn't have all these problems in the beginning, until I let my mind start telling me this was too much bike for me :cry:

I keep working at it...once I conquer my mind, the rest will come easy. Short small steps...that's what I keep telling myself...

glwilson
07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I realize my mind is playing with me....I keep expecting to have problems when I move my bike...anything that has my feet on the ground, like backing up...I didn't have all these problems in the beginning, until I let my mind start telling me this was too much bike for me :cry:

I keep working at it...once I conquer my mind, the rest will come easy. Short small steps...that's what I keep telling myself...

Another thing that helped me (since everyone has made their obligation to point-out I am short) is while making short steps, to be sure to keep the bike upright.

If your foot slips even a little the bike will tip quite a bit. If you already have it leaning then the combination can lead to a dropped-bike. And always look at the area around where you are going to be putting your feet before moving to be sure you are not in an area causing slips.

Keep working on it and you'll be comfortable...

Loafer
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Finally some good solid advice! :tup:

Cajunrider
07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Cheri, if you are having a struggle lifting it off of the sidestand, lock the bars fully to the right before attempting to stand it up and you will find it much lighter. Try it, you'll agree.

cheriann
07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Another thing that helped me (since everyone has made their obligation to point-out I am short) is while making short steps, to be sure to keep the bike upright.

If your foot slips even a little the bike will tip quite a bit. If you already have it leaning then the combination can lead to a dropped-bike. And always look at the area around where you are going to be putting your feet before moving to be sure you are not in an area causing slips.

Keep working on it and you'll be comfortable...

EXCELLENT IDEA! Thank you!
I take the smaller steps, and that does help, but I don't know if I am making sure the bike it completely straight up. I'm going to try that! :tup:

cheriann
07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Cheri, if you are having a struggle lifting it off of the sidestand, lock the bars fully to the right before attempting to stand it up and you will find it much lighter. Try it, you'll agree.

Thank you for the tip, but I don't have any problem lifting it off the kickstand. Heck, I've ridden a V2K and could lift that up. That's why I am puzzled at my problem doing small moving around tasks with my feet on the ground. Riding it is no problem. Sitting still is no problem. It's just those darn slow movements that require my strength to keep the bike steady while doing it.....am I making sense?????? :hmm:

dbui
07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Well said Cheri I have the same problem! Are there a way for you to lower the seat on the Vaquero? last time I talked to the Kawasaki sale rep. He did not know! I am tip toes on my Vaquero when the bike moves slow.

blowndodge
07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Cheri Ann, just take your time and go slow for a while and you will be okay.

Advice that has many uses! :tup:

Monkeyman
07-17-2012, 10:59 PM
How would you know?

cheriann
07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Well said Cheri I have the same problem! Are there a way for you to lower the seat on the Vaquero? last time I talked to the Kawasaki sale rep. He did not know! I am tip toes on my Vaquero when the bike moves slow.

I don't know if I can move the seat any lower....I changed mine to the Corbin, which usually does lower you. Come to think of it...I am not on tip toes, but I am BARELY able to flat foot myself on the bike when it is level. If I am on a slop or incline, I am tip toed on one side. Maybe not having good flat footing is affecting my abilities to move the bike around for slow manuevers :???: Thank you! I'll pay more attention to that now too!!!

You all have given great tips and ideas!!!! :tup:

Jgrazjgraz
07-18-2012, 01:26 PM
It's very hard to shake some fears once something scary happens, I know.
Last year I dropped my bike while practically standing still,coming to a stop, my rear wheel hits a patch of sand...down it goes with me on it.
Now, paranoia ,everywhere I stop.

SoCalNomad
07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
I just had my Nomad seat reshaped at C&C Seats in LA (thanks Chuy!). He cut the foam down, narrowed the sides and added a gel pad to move me down and back. I also changed the rear shocks to 13" Progressive Suspension 430s. I still need to do some work with the handlebars, but the bike feels so much easier to control while I'm stopped AND while riding.