PDA

View Full Version : Backoff Brake Hold Module

okiecop
05-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Has anyone installed the Backoff Brake Hold Module on their Voyager or Vaquero? I am looking to find out which wire to tap into on the speed sensor. Any help is appreciated.

Sin City Stan
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Has anyone installed the Backoff Brake Hold Module on their Voyager or Vaquero? I am looking to find out which wire to tap into on the speed sensor. Any help is appreciated.

You do not tap the speed sensor for the backoff module. It connects in series with your rear brakelight.

cactusjack
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
You do not tap the speed sensor for the backoff module. It connects in series with your rear brakelight.

I think he's talking about something else, Stan.

From the Custom Dynamics website:
"The Brake Hold Module connects to your bike’s electronic speed pick-up sensor (will not work with cable driven speedometers); to keep your brake lights on when you release your brakes but are still decelerating. In addition, it will turn them on or keep them on when you are are stopped, even if you take your hands and feet off the brakes!"

okiecop
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
It's not the regular backoff but the backoff brake hold. Supposedly there's a hot, ground and speed sensor wire in the series of three and I am not sure via the instructions on the backoff hold as to which wire to tap. Guess I'll tap one at a time until it works...lol

Yellow Jacket
05-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Rather than cutting into all three wires on the speed sensor, it might be a good idea to find the correct wire from a wiring diagram. Hopefully, your dealer would have a service manual available.

Sin City Stan
05-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Rather than cutting into all three wires on the speed sensor, it might be a good idea to find the correct wire from a wiring diagram. Hopefully, your dealer would have a service manual available.

There is a downloadable 1700 manual in the maintenance section of this forum.

okiecop
05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks! Was just seeing if anyone else had already done the project. I've got the downloaded manual and will dig into it. Wasn't going to cut anything down at the sensor, just going to tap into it.

okiecop
05-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Done with the project and it works great. It flashes the brake lights after you hit the brakes and holds them on with the repeated flash (even with your hand and foot off of the brake which is not my habit) until you start moving again. Great product and an awesome accessory, in my opinion, to add to your rear brake lights. Just for info, tap the light green/red on the speed sensor.