PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Canyon N.P. Ride

cactusjack
05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I have been asked to help plan a ride for the Southwest Rally and have been kicking around a couple of ideas. I'd like to get some input if you don't mind.

The ride is from Kanab to Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park. The distance between the two points is 79 miles. About 1.5 hours of easy riding.

Option 1 (171 miles) is just an out and back, with a detour to the town of Panguitch for lunch.

http://g.co/maps/s46hs

Option 2 (236 miles) is about as much of a loop as I can make the ride. We'll stop for lunch in Panguitch. Southern Utah is a vast area and rugged mountains and canyons mean roads are scarce. You will not be disappointed by the scenery.

http://g.co/maps/trcy9

I'd like to hear from those who plan to attend the rally on which route is preferred.

ballast
05-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I would probably be more interested in seeing more of Bryce than riding a big circle.

Sin City Stan
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I would probably be more interested in seeing more of Bryce than riding a big circle.

We have been to Bryce and travelled that loop before. We're willing to to it again.

As far as seeing Bryce, a couple stops at scenic overlooks will show you the wonder of the canyon. If you want ot spend some time there and SEE the canyon that means hiking to the bottom and making a day of it. The hike down is easy. Hiking back up isn't. :ohno: I hate hikes that start down hill. :D

blowndodge
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Wait until you get back to the hotel Charlie. Then you and bryce can spend the entire day together! :lol:

cactusjack
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Wait until you get back to the hotel Charlie. Then you and bryce can spend the entire day together! :lol:

Bryce Canyon isn't like Yellowstone or Yosemite where you drive through it. It's sort of a big bowl full of "hoodoos" or rock formations carved by erosion. There are overlooks where you look down into the canyon, or some people like to hike down into it (not me, I did enough hiking in the Marines).

usranger74
05-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I like option two.

blowndodge
05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
You and charlie snuggling with bryce???:tehe:

Dave
05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I wish I was going. I've always wanted to visit the Hawaiian islands.

Jared
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Option two gets my vote.

Bryce is pretty much a drive in, look at the view, drive out.

landman
05-10-2012, 05:18 PM
option two would be my preferance.

collinr
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Awesome country there no doubt.

ballast
05-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Damn It! I really need to re-read stuff before I submit it.

Butt, once you do bryce you'll know how nice...:cry:

blowndodge
05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
He says your "hung like rice!" :lmao::tehe:

ballast
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
He says your "hung like rice!"

>:(:bird:>:(:bird:>:(:bird:>:(:bird:>:(:bird:

Option 2 it is.

markclark57
05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Option 2 is my vote. More miles = more scenery (not just the same road both ways). :D

Netnorske
05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm down with Option 2....but it kills me to know that a purple HD is gonna lead a bunch of Vulcans at a VBA Rally.....:bs::ohno::D!

ballast
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm down with Option 2....but it kills me to know that a purple HD is gonna lead a bunch of Vulcans at a VBA Rally.....:bs::ohno::D!

Don't think of it as being led as much as chasing him out of the state.:lol::lmao:

blowndodge
05-10-2012, 09:15 PM
were following him so we can pick up all the broken parts!:lmao:

schoeney
05-10-2012, 11:04 PM
CJ's bike is like Rudolph's nose....makes sense to have him in front....easy to see.

Think of it as an entourage ....the focal point is never in the front. Ali was always led into the arena, so was Reagan, and the Pope too.

Although having Barney leading the pack you might get alot of people looking for the bearded lady....just tell them her name is Kris.

cactusjack
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Yeah, yeah...keep yucking it up you clowns. You probably won't be able to keep up with me, except for Trosco on his GW. :D

When Jared asked if I'd help out, I asked him if he really wanted a Harley leading the pack. He didn't seem to mind.

blowndodge
05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
he's young what do you expect?

trosco
05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
CJ, I like the loop idea also.
And if you get your bike real dirty they may not notice the purple passion that it emits. Then you could also stuff towels in both pipes and make it sound like a Nomad???

markclark57
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
JMHO, CJ's "Barney Davidson" looks a lot nicer in person than on the meager forum photos.

pronghorn
05-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Option 2

cactusjack
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
It sounds like option #2 wins by popular vote.

This should be a real nice ride. Hwy 89 N from Kanab to where we turn off to go to Bryce has a max of 55MPH, and we will pass through several small towns along the way where we will rigidly observe the posted speed limit. These little towns are known for their vigorous revenue generation efforts.

The scenery will change from high desert to forest with lots of red rock formations. Not sure what the loop after we leave Bryce holds for us, it's been many years since I've been up that way, but the scenery should be good.

There shouldn't be anything real challenging on this ride, just a nice easygoing weekday ride. It should be very enjoyable.

ballast
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Sounds like it will be a really nice loop. I am counting the minutes till I can get out of this office and head south.

CJ, I finally hung the bell you sent. I now have double protection. One in front of each floorboard. :tup:

cactusjack
05-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Sounds like it will be a really nice loop. I am counting the minutes till I can get out of this office and head south.

CJ, I finally hung the bell you sent. I now have double protection. One in front of each floorboard. :tup:

I guess two bells are better than one? I have the one you gave me, so far it's done its job!

blowndodge
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
It sounds like option #2 wins by popular vote.

This should be a real nice ride. Hwy 89 N from Kanab to where we turn off to go to Bryce has a max of 55MPH, Thank goodness because my HD won't go over 55 with the wind at my back!and we will pass through several small towns along the way where we will rigidly observe the posted speed limit. These little towns are known for their vigorous revenue generation efforts.

The scenery will change from high desert to forest with lots of red rock formations. Not sure what the loop after we leave Bryce holds for us, it's been many years since I've been up that way, but the scenery should be good.

There shouldn't be anything real challenging on this ride because I lack any perceptual riding skills period! just a nice easygoing weekday ride. It should be very enjoyable.

If you say so??:wtf:

blowndodge
05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I guess two bells are better than one? I have the one you gave me, so far it's done its job!

Sounds like you two will be bunking together giving your bells a real workout huh?? :ohno::wtf::lol:

cactusjack
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you two will be bunking together giving your bells a real workout huh?? :ohno::wtf::lol:

Go play with your own bell, silk shirt boy! :bird: