PDA

View Full Version : Who camps on road trips?

dantama
03-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I like to camp, partly because it feels more adventurous, partly because I'm too cheap to waste a motel on just me :)

I don't plan my camp stops out, I just try to find a spot about an hour before the sun goes down. In urban areas, I find a KOA type place, or hope to find one. Out west, I try to find a place in the boonies that isn't a camp ground, just a level spot away from the road.

I don't even start looking for a place till very late in the day. I suppose I like the tension of, "will I find a place before it gets dark".

I always have found one, the closest I've come to not was sleeping in the tall weeds just off the road near Craig Colorado, on the edge of a field. Nothing came up near dark, and so I took what I could. The weeds were so tall that once I moved my bike in, it was hidden, and so was the tent.
I had a crazy dream that night that I woke up and my tent was on the back lawn of some mansion.

I put my small tent up, a spring bar type, don't use stakes or anything, once my sleeping bag and helmet and gear is in it, it's always held it down without any problems.

I prefer the primitive camping that isn't in a campground, but one benefit of the KOA type places is that you often run across other motorcyclists. They are always good to sit and chat with. I have a few phone numbers stashed away of people I've met that way who invite me to stay at their house if I'm ever passing through their state.

I've only taken one person up on it, but have others saved just in case I ever take a trip through their state. Of course, they have my number and I would reciprocate.

Just curious who else is a camper on their bike?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/southern%20utah%20may%2005/zions2.jpg

Idaho
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I have considered it but I put in such long days, well past dark that by the time I stop I want a comfortable bed and a hot shower. Then there have been times when I found myself looking for a motel in a rainstorm. Not the time to be setting up a tent. Guess that I enjoy being in the saddle more than I enjoy sleeping on the ground.

03-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I've camped once with a bike. I guess I prefer a good nights sleep when I'm out on the road. + when it comes to "camping" the Marines & Iraq kinda put a bad taste in my mouth.

trip
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I used to camp on just about every trip I took. Still have all my gear....right down to the 20 degree-rated sleeping bag and expensive tent.

Now that I'm getting a little older, I really don't like camping if it's really cold or rainy. Plus, it's tough setting up camp at night when you've ridden 500 miles for the day.

So, most of my trips I hotel or motel it.

dantama
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I really don't like camping if it's really cold or rainy.

I don't camp in the rain either. When that's happened, I find a Motel too.

One rain storm that pushed me into a Motel ended spawning a tornado in the tiny town that I stopped in. Best to not be in a tent there either.

tomk
03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I used to camp out in the desert with friends when I rode dirt bikes in the late '70s and all we had were sleeping bags and an old Coleman stove. Couldn't afford anything else. We slept in the back of a P/U bed to stay off the ground. We had to split the gas for the truck.

I've never camped with my bike but that is something I want to try this year. I have a couple of friends that are backpackers (and they ride) and the stuff they have seems to fit the bill. Everything is small and everything is expensive.

Currently, my wife and I have a travel trailer that is stored at a private membership campground that we joined but they won't allow bikes in there.

audiogooroo
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Never camped on the bike. I, too, like a hot shower and soft bed after 10 or 12 hours on the road.
Wife and I used to backpack right after we got married. Then we got into jeeping. Used to go to the high country and sleep in tents. From there it was a truck camper, the self contained travel trailer. Now I have a 24ft trailer I pull when we want to go somewhere and a 30ft trailer on a private ranch up near Buena Vista. My wife's idea of camping at this stage of our lives is a Holiday Inn near the woods.

tomk
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Never camped on the bike. I, too, like a hot shower and soft bed after 10 or 12 hours on the road.
Wife and I used to backpack right after we got married. Then we got into jeeping. Used to go to the high country and sleep in tents. From there it was a truck camper, the self contained travel trailer. Now I have a 24ft trailer I pull when we want to go somewhere and a 30ft trailer on a private ranch up near Buena Vista. My wife's idea of camping at this stage of our lives is a Holiday Inn near the woods.

Yup, same. That's why I bought the trailer in the first place!

druid
03-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I did the tent/sleepingbag thing for a while, then realized it was getting harder to get out of the tent. Bought a tiny pull behind camping trailer and used that for a while, but it was too crowed for 2, so I bought a Bunkhouse camping trailer. That one was the cats meow!! Pulled great, lots and lots of room, easy and fast to set up. Haven't taken any long trips for a while and I sold the Bunkhouse to a buddy, so I reckon any more long trips will call for a motel stop.

ed
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I usually take camp gear with me and camp when it hits me! But I don't do it anymore with out my air mattress! That darn cold ground makes me feel like I am 51 yrs old or something!
If I don't stay at a campground with showers avalible, I'll stop at truck stop to shower later.
I enjoy camping when I can but when its raining I am looking for something fun to do!

dantama
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I usually take camp gear with me and camp when it hits me! But I don't do it anymore with out my air mattress! That darn cold ground makes me feel like I am 51 yrs old or something!
If I don't stay at a campground with showers avalible, I'll stop at truck stop to shower later.
I enjoy camping when I can but when its raining I am looking for something fun to do!

One of the rolls on my bike in the picture is an air mattress, not the air pump kind, the kind where a few good puff or air from your mouth and it's full. But it does the trick nicely.

I do the truck stop shower too. Works great. I found on one trip that state parks in the Midwest have some surprizingly great hot showers in very clean washrooms. I was impressed.

ed
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
[quote:vliptvst] I usually take camp gear with me and camp when it hits me! But I don't do it anymore with out my air mattress! That darn cold ground makes me feel like I am 51 yrs old or something!

One of the rolls on my bike in the picture is an air mattress, not the air pump kind, the kind where a few good puff or air from your mouth and it's full. But it does the trick nicely.

I do the truck stop shower too. Works great. I found on one trip that state parks in the Midwest have some surprizingly great hot showers in very clean washrooms. I was impressed. [/quote:vliptvst]

I installed a 12vt outlet on my bike for charging my phone.Then I found a more important use for it, pumping and deflating my air mattress. Works great I can set up my tent and be laying on a comfortable bed in about 10 minutes.

sparky44
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
My wife and I camped this fall at Devils Den State Park out of Fayetteville Arkansas. We had our tent, air mattress, and close to the bathroom, couldn't have been more comfortable.

Sparky44

dlarue
03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Devils Den is where we always stay for Bikes Blues BBQ!!! LOL We always camp. I suppose the biggest reason is just because we are still young and poor, but honestly camping is one of my favorite things to do. I love it. We have gotten into backpacking, so we have all the gear needed, but always bring an air mattress when we are on the bike... We have a blower that plugs into the bike as well, and works like a charm. When you have one of those, you usually stay pretty comfortable.

dan
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

I am 60 years old and when I camp I wake up feeling like a 24 year old......................Thats been ran over by two semi-trucks, an amtrak freight train and a john deere tractor. Like someone else said, give me a Holiday Inn next to some trees.

cactusjack
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
At this stage in my life, a good night's sleep is important to me. We used to camp as a family when my kids were smaller, we'd take our boat to the lake and tie it down near the campground. I just don't get a decent night's sleep on hard ground anymore. I'll spring for a motel room, I like a nice hot shower, too. That's the other drawback to camping.

buck
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I always camp. I like the adventure of it. I normally spend about 30 nights a year in my sleeping bag (some of those on my sailboat). The nicer campgrounds have the hot showers and I carry only the JetBoil coffee pot for my fix in the mornings. All other meals are on the road. The great thing about the Nomad is the volume of the hard bags and keeping the heavier items down low.

One of my favorite motorcycle only campgrounds is Willville in meadows of Dan, Va. It's less than a mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway and there is always a community campfire to meet other bikers plus a hot biscuit in the morning and great food down the road a bit.

One of these days I may be too old, but for now I choose to camp whenever possible. Buck

03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I always camp. I like the adventure of it. I normally spend about 30 nights a year in my sleeping bag (some of those on my sailboat). The nicer campgrounds have the hot showers and I carry only the JetBoil coffee pot for my fix in the mornings. All other meals are on the road. The great thing about the Nomad is the volume of the hard bags and keeping the heavier items down low.

One of my favorite motorcycle only campgrounds is Willville in meadows of Dan, Va. It's less than a mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway and there is always a community campfire to meet other bikers plus a hot biscuit in the morning and great food down the road a bit.

One of these days I may be too old, but for now I choose to camp whenever possible. Buck

Now that sounds fun. I would love to go to a motorcycle only campground and check out the other bikes

03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I never have, but with the price of gas, any thing saved is more important than ever.

Bdog
03-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I camp every chance I get except when it rains I will splurge for a motel. I get a great sleep on a double air mattress. The fresh air and all the stars at night are awesome. Most of my riding buds stay at motels and I hook up with them there. Usually I'm the first one up and ready to go.

dantama
03-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I camp every chance I get except when it rains I will splurge for a motel. I get a great sleep on a double air mattress. The fresh air and all the stars at night are awesome. Most of my riding buds stay at motels and I hook up with them there. Usually I'm the first one up and ready to go.

I'm not an early morning person, but in a tent I'm up and ready to go by 7:30am.

When you said that about all the stars at night, it reminded me of camping in Iowa and Illinois, and seeing fire flies for the first time in my life. I had the flaps up on my tent so that I could lay in bed and watch the fire flies.

If you've never seen fire flies in your life, they are the most fascinating sight ever.

dlarue
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
I completely agree.. They are very pretty. As children, I can remember catching them, and putting them into a jar. Then my grandmother caught us doing it, and asked us how we would like being put into a jar. We couldn't come up with a good answer, so needless to say, they were always released... But we always loved catching them... Great memories. Thanks Dan

buck
03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
If you Google 'motorcycle campgrounds' or 'motorcycle friendly campgrounds' you will find them spread throughout the US, Many of them have small cabins, where you use your sleepijg bag but don't need the tent, and you are with other bikers who are also campers and I've never met any of them that I couldn't relate to..even the BMW folks. Buck

coacha
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a camping trailer for the bike...just waiting on the hitch and then have to wire up for the lights. I figure if I can spend $10-20 vs. $60+ per night, then it is more affordable to take the trip. Just my observation.

dantama
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I have a camping trailer for the bike...just waiting on the hitch and then have to wire up for the lights. I figure if I can spend $10-20 vs. $60+ per night, then it is more affordable to take the trip. Just my observation.

How about a pic of it ready to pull, and another one of it ready to sleep when you get it out.

dogdoc
03-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I like the way dan put how he feels waking up after camping. Seems like a common thread among all,,,,AGE! :-)

bobzinger
03-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I've never been to a campground that didn't have hot showers. Even so, when I'm out on the road camping I'll go a couple days without a shower or shave. I do take a lawn chair, Tent, and a twin size air bed and electric pump though. I love a cigar and a mug of Port around the campfire.

Sounds like a new thread....

dlarue
04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
One of my biggest goals in life is to take a cross country trip on the bikes, and camp the entire way.... Air mattresses are a luxury you can afford, even when taking the bikes... but I would even be open to just taking a self inflating backpacking sleep pad... its so peaceful at night in a tent, you can hear everything... The biggest problem with that would be room to pack enough clothes....

dantama
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
One of my biggest goals in life is to take a cross country trip on the bikes, and camp the entire way.... Air mattresses are a luxury you can afford, even when taking the bikes... but I would even be open to just taking a self inflating backpacking sleep pad... its so peaceful at night in a tent, you can hear everything... The biggest problem with that would be room to pack enough clothes....

Perhaps it's a woman thing with regards to clothes http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

I can't camp going two up on a Nomad, but can go for two weeks just fine with what will fit in the saddle bags. All the camping gear goes on the rack and back seat.

bobzinger
04-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Sparkplugs Motorcycle Campground has Tepees to sleep in...just throe your sleeping bad on top of the bed.

It's a different and interesting place in Obrien, Or.

04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
When I was a kid my family camped all over the USA. Coast to coast and border to border. Did a lot more when I was in college. I did some more when my children were younger, and even into my 40's.

Nowadays, I'm not that fond of camping. Too spoiled by the good life.

bigjohn
04-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I am looking forward to camping this summer. We've been "Roughing it at the Holiday Inn" for the past ten years and it is just getting too expensive anymore. Already have two goo trips planned and am looking at three or four short weekends in the local area.

Purchased a lightly used Bunkhouse last fall and am amazed as the space in it. It came with the large "den" and that really gives extra room.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/jhprice/Naomi/Bunkhouse/2000Bunkhouse.jpg
Our "new" Bunkhouse camper.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/jhprice/Naomi/Bunkhouse/body_img_2.jpg
Basic set up.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/jhprice/Naomi/Bunkhouse/Bunkhousew-BigDen.jpg
With the "Den" attached. Even has an opening for an air conditioner on the side. Just might have to get a small one. There are some luxuries that one just "needs."

coacha
04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Big John, I have a Bunkhouse too. Haven't had it out yet. Mine is a '97 or '98, so no AC opening. I'll get a battery operated fan or something like that.

bigjohn
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
conch - Ours is a 2000. Got it from a guy in Sacramento. Haven't had it out yet, either. Pulled it home from Sacramento behind the Subaru last Thanksgiving. Miserable weather, rain most of the trip. Spent the night in Medford.

As we left Medford we found ice on the freeway. That little trailer just followed us like an obedient puppy dog and never wavered. Saw over thirty cars and trucks spun out or jack knifed between Medford and Salem. Ugly.

buck
04-20-2008, 08:05 PM
First camping trip of '08. Headed to Blue Ridge Parkway this past weekend and weather was a perfect 75 degrees. Rode all day and didn't get to campground until 5:30 and it was 'packed'..and get this, there were 35-40 sport tourers (BMW's, Ducatti's, Yamaha's, etc.) except for two Goldwings and my sweet Nomad. I think I had more leather in my hard bags than the camp combined. To my pleasant surprise, the BMW crowd was no different than any of the 'crusty cruisers' I have met. Lots of pizza, beer, whiskey, and wine (maybe more wine than normal), cigars, lies and laughter around the campfire until the wee hours. You just don't get that in a motel. Great weekend! Buck

dantama
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
.... lies and laughter around the campfire until the wee hours. You just don't get that in a motel. Great weekend! Buck

I agree, one of my pleasant memories of camping on my bike was pulling into the campground at Zions National Park and finding it completely full. I got invited by a couple of BMW riders to put up my tent in their site. We sat around talking and looking at the atlas etc till late.

They were air traffic controllers here in Denver, now that I live here it would be good to find out who they are and go for a ride together.

misunderstood
04-22-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm drooling over that bunkhouse. Gonna get one when I have the cash. :)

blowndodge
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Nico is going to be camping in the dumpsters in Mesquite this June!!!

cactusjack
04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Wasatch Mountains, east of Salt Lake City. You know, the whole "earth" movement back in the 70's? All ultralight gear, that sort of thing. One of my favorite memories was being up on top of a 8200' mountain between 2 peaks, overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. At night, the lights seemed to go on forever.

I might give motorcycle camping a try. maybe just sleeping at a campground. I'd probably still buy my meals at a cafe. Hey, I'm not Bear Grylls, eating c**kroaches and earthworms.

Maybe I should have said cucarachas?

04-22-2008, 09:22 PM

I am 60 years old and when I camp I wake up feeling like a 24 year old......................Thats been ran over by two semi-trucks, an amtrak freight train and a john deere tractor. Like someone else said, give me a Holiday Inn next to some trees.

With the windows open. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Nico is going to be camping in the dumpsters in Mesquite this June!!!

Hey,BD. Ya think gay people like camping ::) ? They probably like rubbing their sticks together to keep warm. Ya think ? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

blowndodge
04-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Yea, I think Nico's rubbed his stick with many a gay man... I hear his nickname is "sparky"

dantama
04-23-2008, 04:59 AM
When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Wasatch Mountains, east of Salt Lake City. You know, the whole "earth" movement back in the 70's? All ultralight gear, that sort of thing. One of my favorite memories was being up on top of a 8200' mountain between 2 peaks, overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. At night, the lights seemed to go on forever.

I might give motorcycle camping a try. maybe just sleeping at a campground. I'd probably still buy my meals at a cafe. Hey, I'm not Bear Grylls, eating c**kroaches and earthworms.

I eat out when I camp too. For me motorcycle camping is just a more adventurous way to sleep. I don't carry all that you'd need to fix your own meals. I carry a tent and sleeping gear.

cactusjack
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM

I eat out when I camp too. For me motorcycle camping is just a more adventurous way to sleep. I don't carry all that you'd need to fix your own meals. I carry a tent and sleeping gear.

Personally, I feel that eating out when camping, I'm talking a decent meal, not an egg Mcsomething and a plastic cup of orange juice, offsets the "animal" feeling you get from field hygeine and wearing the same clothes for 3 days.

Which brings back a memory of field hygeine. While in infantry training school at Camp Pendleton, we would leave our nice luxurious barracks on a Monday morning and march for several days, going from one outdoor classroom to another. This one morning, they made sure we all shaved (dry shave, mind you) before we broke camp. Next stop was the gas chamber. I'm sure some of you here know the feeling of CS gas on moist or irritated skin. Yeah, some memory. It felt like your skin was being pulled off.

buck
04-25-2008, 10:20 AM
My bear/camping story. Two summers ago I was camping/fishing/hiking in Alaska and decided to take an impromptu hike while I had an 8 hour wait to ketch the ferry out of Petersburg. On the hike, about 5 miles in, I spotted a bear on the trail before she spotted me. Knowing you definately don't want to surprise them, I retreated a couple hundreds back down the trail out of sight. I didn't have my handgun, and to retreat back meant another 5 miles, so I took out my trusty knife and starting banging the metal blade against an aluminum can I was carrying. The assumption was she would hear the noise and retreat. It worked, sort of, she retreated behind a tree, out of sight and just as I got to the tree she came out, raised up on her hind legs and let out a mighty growl as if to say, get the h*ll out off my turf, then she climbed up the tree. I proceeded on up the trail, cleaned out my britches, and went on my way. Moral of the story is, be prepared, and I wasn't. Buck

cactusjack
04-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Not trying to get off topic too much, but I have to tell this story. When I graduated high school in 1977, my buddy and I bought 12 cases of beer and we drove up to a place my folks had in Island Park Idaho, not far from Yellowstone Park. My dad had a big, 12 man inflatable raft up there, and we spent some time floating the Snake River. We had put the raft in at Big Springs, which is where the Henry's Fork of the Snake River begins. It's a huge natural spring and the water is as clear as tap water until a couple of creeks empty into it. We were going to float down to the Mack's Inn bridge, about 6 miles. He was in the bow and I was at the stern, and we were just floating along, enjoying the June sunshine, drinking Schlitz malt liquor (hey, we were only 18). We were going around a bend and we heard a sound like water running. Soon we could see a huge bull moose standing in the river, relieving himself. My friend was a city boy from Chicago and had no clue what to do. I told him to be still and quiet and we'd get through it. We floated past the moose about 10' away from him. He looked at us, we looked at him. We didn't have a camera with us. After we passed him, he went back to munching moss off the river bottom. It was something I'll never forget. I also got the worse sunburn I'd ever had.

Top Cat
04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I do, all the time. Especially after going about 100 miles or so. My left leg and thigh get so .............ohh sorry. I thought the title of this thread was "Who CRAMPS on road trips" :-[

jrd
04-26-2008, 11:53 AM
You guys with those bunkhouses are SPOILED http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

I love to camp for some of the reasons mentioned. I enjoy a camp fire and just being outdoors. My day job has me inside most of the time so anytime I can be outside I love it. As far as sleeping in a tent, I enjoy that too. I have loved to camp all of my life and I don't see that changing any time soon. One of the benefits of having a cargo trailer is you can take a small camp stove and a cooler and coffee pot etc.. and you can save a ton of money on the road preparing some of your own meals. Another benefit of a cargo trailer is you can carry a cot http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif Lots better than sleeping on the ground. I recently picked up a pop up tent. it sets up in less than a minute. So for me, i will continue to camp on the road as long as I am able. I just enjoy it way too much.

John

04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't know where you buy them, but I saw this lightweight thing at an air show that combines a tent and lightweight camping cot all in one device. I think it would be ideal for MC camping, but I'll bet it ain't cheap.

04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Here, I found a link to something similar to what I saw, but this one looks a bit heavier.
tent_cot (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=RIUVQ4QNHWELBLAQBBJSCOVMCAEFII WE?id=0034805516987a&type=product&cmCat=pricegrabber&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=pricegrabber&cm_pla=0520204&cm_ite=0034805516987a&_requestid=47345)

jrd
04-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Here, I found a link to something similar to what I saw, but this one looks a bit heavier.
tent_cot (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=RIUVQ4QNHWELBLAQBBJSCOVMCAEFII WE?id=0034805516987a&type=product&cmCat=pricegrabber&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=pricegrabber&cm_pla=0520204&cm_ite=0034805516987a&_requestid=47345)

CaddmannQ,

That is slick looking! Be kinda hard to get dressed in it http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

I paid half the asking price for a popup tent and a cot. Found the tent and cot on Amazon.com.

John

04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
I looked around on the web some more, but still didn't find a pic of the one I saw before.

skeeter
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Camped Big Bend few years ago and Fort Davis same trip. Camped Brackettville year before with different group. Chisos Basin in late August was like having A/C. Did Goose Island last August and it was OK as long as you were moving. If you stood still you dripped with sweat. Bought a battery powered fan, hung it over the ice chest and dreamed of A/C. Goose Island in early Spring or late fall if you want comfort or just stay in a motel. Always had a support vehicle for gear. Don't have a rack for the Nad yet. Can't stand a small tent you can't stand up in. Bought a good sized tent (Ozark Trail) that I call Taj II. Will get a rack or even a small trailer to haul gear. Would like to do Coos Bay Oregon this year if finances don't get in the way. I'd ride solo on that one so I could haul more gear just on the bike. Would like to camp in the mountains next month. I'm in Central Texas so I'm thinkin Colorado or New Mexico. Any suggestions?

justbrian
05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know where you buy them, but I saw this lightweight thing at an air show that combines a tent and lightweight camping cot all in one device. I think it would be ideal for MC camping, but I'll bet it ain't cheap.

i found a review on that same Tent Cot just thought id share
http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/Double_Tent_Cot_31077364

looks very nice for one person.

coloradontexas
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
skeeter, the wife and i are takin the nad and going to colorado in july. already picked out the camping spots the whole way up there. Then lots of camping while riding the around the mountains i grew up in. Hadnt camped in the four years i been living in texas. used to backpack and camp all the time in CO. Camped in beavers bend ok last weekend. lord did i forget how hard the ground is. Riding two up with sleepin bags and tent plus wifes clothing does not leave any room for air matress. Got to find a new remedy to the situation. LOL

dantama
05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
colotex, get one of those backpacker air mats that only take a few puffs of air to fill up. Once deflated (I actually suck the air out to get it completely deflated) you can roll it up with the sleeping bag and it doesn't seem to make it any bigger.

It does make a difference sleeping on the ground with one.

coloradontexas
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
dan, thanks for the tip. will find a couple for sure.

popey
05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Planning on camping on the North end of the Natchez Trace on the way to the Smoky Mountains. Staying in cabin for a week in the Smoky's.

Prefer the camping if weather permits.

namvet
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I have always done the camping thing when on the bike, but the last trips were in the late 90's when I was younger. This year, will ride out to Sturgis area with friends and my old riding partner. He lives in Florida and will get here to Fort Wayne on July the 30th and we will leve the next after noon. We will do the camping thing again, like in the old days. I have the air mattress bought and he still has our tent from about 95. We do the KOA campgrounds, that way we get a pool and breakfast in the morning. We will be at the KOA just west of Custer, SD just in case you out that way.

blowndodge
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
What a neat tent cot Cadd. Now I'm interested in finding one!