PDA

View Full Version : Natchez Trace

buck
03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone done Natchez Trace? I'm hoping to next month. Buck

rflnomad
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Check Trips site. He did a video and there is some neat text on this road. Definatly a road I want to ride.

gshep
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Buck,
I've run the north part from the beginning at Nashville to the state line. Nice senic ride. Twisties are smooth & easy. Watch the LEOs The speed limit I think is 45, don't exceed it.
If you start at the north end be sure and eat breakfast at "Lovelace" famous Nashville resturant and caters to bikers.
I'm trying to get a couple of the local guys to ride it to Natchez and back.
Shep

sparky44
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Rode it from the begining at Natchez, Ms. to the end right outside of Nashville, Tn. 444 miles. A beautiful ride. Took two days, because of the historic sites to stop and see and the speed limit, I believe it was 50 MPH. Not a lot of traffic, I saw more motorcycles than cars. You don't have to worry about semi-trucks because no commercial vehicles are allowed. I passed a few patrol cars and was told they do enforce the speed limit .Very enjoyable and would do it again.

Sparky44

gopjohnny
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
trace is a beautiful ride, I actually did 40 miles of it on a bicycle back in my younger thinner days

mrghost
03-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I live in Tupelo, about in the middle! There are a lot of Historic sites & pretty plentiful gas stops. The speed limit is 50 but they`ll usually allow 55 without any problems.

trip
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
When I rode the Trace, I stayed a night in Tupelo. Nice town! The Trace is a great road to ride...although it can be slightly boring at times due to the speed limit.

Go into it with plenty of time to ride and it will be very enjoyable.

Trip

Scoot
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Sorry I don't ever intend to ride the Trace. I can't do 55 must less 45........to slow for me :'(

fatrat45
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Road the northen half fron Starkville,Ms to just outside of Nashville,Tn. Great ride fantastic views, the double arch bridge near the end is in my world the best. 50 to 55 is the limit.
They will get you!!

lw
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Have riddent the southern leg from Clinton MS to Natchez on the way home from vacation on the back end of the Central Rally in 2008. Enjoyed the terrific scenery, well maintained tree-canopied roadways, not so much the low speed limits though. I dont have GPS, so if/when I ride it again I'll need to do some planning for fuel and bio stops for sure.

Cajunrider
08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I rode the Trace last year from Natchez to Tupelo. It is a nice and peaceful ride. Be sure to map out your fuel stops/exits before starting as they are all off of the Trace. It would be very easy to run out of fuel if you don't know where the exits are and which ones have fuel in close proximity. The closest I have ever come to running dry was on my Trace ride.

oldbikers
08-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I have done the southern half many times but have not made it to Nashville on the trace yet.

usranger74
08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
This may help you plan your tirp

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

The trace is on my list - I may do it next yr to or from the Nat. Rally.

Have fun

AlabamaNomadRider
08-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Have done the southern part but not the entire length.

dandantmm
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I've covered from Tupelo to Nashville and would like to do the whole thing at once one day. It's not an exciting road, fairly straight with some rolling hills farther north, but it is peaceful and relaxing. Watch out for deer and the Leos as others have said. The best curvy section of the road is up near Nashville and the speed limit goes down to 45 or 40 mph which spoils all the fun.

zoom45
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Done the Natchez to Nashville trip several times. I'm ready to do it again. My wife loves to stay in Franklin, TN at the end. There's a list of fuel stops somewhere. I'll find it and post on here.
Zoom45

zoom45
08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Here's one list of stops for gas but this is not the one I was thinking of:
http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/water-and-markets.html

Here it is:
Select the Supplies/Food link

http://www.nps.gov/natr/bicyclinghome.htm

kudzufarmer
08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I grew up in Jackson Ms and my parents used to drive the trace to go anywhere north.........it drove me crazy only going 50 mph in a cage........would take forever to get anywhere.......now that I am older, the trace would be a nice ride on a bike........funny how things change as you get older