PDA

View Full Version : President's Day Ride - 18 Feb 08

biscuitsngravy
02-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Hello All,
Myself and two other guys had a real good ride today. (177 miles, all within Washington State) Started out from Kennewick, WA at 11am (because it was 24 degrees at 9am). We motored over to Pasco and went west on Court St as far as we could go. Took a picture of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation/300 Area when we were across the river from it. Lots of curves along the Columbia River. We headed north to Basin City and had to make a detour around a large landslide that had covered the highway.

We make a quick rest stop on Radar Hill (an old Air Force base), then on into Othello for lunch. There was still some old snow that had been piled up, and some of the irrigation canals were still iced up. A little colder up there in Othello Land.

After lunch at a real friendly Chinese restaurant in Othello, WA, we backtracked a short ways to the bottom of Radar Hill, and got up on some flat country on the way to Mattawa, WA. It was pretty much a straight highway all the way there.

Once in Mattawa, we pulled into the yard of my old friend Elmer J. He owns a machine shop for farmers there, but mostly he likes to make blackpowder firearms, including cannons. He showed us his collection, including some guns that are "one of a kind." (Like a ONE INCH cal. revolver!)

Elmer spun us a few yarns, as he usually does, and he was still talking when we rode away. He is an interesting person.

We made it back home to the Tri-Cities (Kennewick) about 5pm before the sun set. It was a great fun trip. We took it easy, stayed pretty much within the speed limit, and kept the wind chill from causing problems. The sun shown bright during the whole time.

As usual, my Nomad was flawless. What a fine bike it is.
BnG

trip
02-20-2008, 07:31 AM
That's cool, BnG......sounds like you guys had a great day. That's what motorcycling is all about.

Trip

ds06nomad
02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Got pix???