PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest

02-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I wish I could do a nice write up like trip but I'm not that skilled with the computer. If any one is planning on visiting Washington State feel free to ask me any questions about my journey. I had read articles in motorcycle magazines about highway 20 in Washington (North Cascades Highway). One article refered to it as one of the most scenic highways in the U.S. Me and two friends decided to ride up there from Utah and check it out.

Day 1: Salt Lake City, UT to Baker City, OR. Aprox 500 Miles. We rode I-15 to I-84.

Day 2: Baker City, OR to Goldbar, WA. Aprox 400 Miles. We rode I-84 to I-82 to hwy 97 to hwy 2. Blewitt Pass (97) and Stevens Pass (2) were the Highlights.

Day 3: Gold Bar, WA to Okanogan, Wa. Aprox 250 miles. We rode Hwy 2 to hwy 9 to hwy 20. Rained all day long. If you ever stay in Okanogan stay at the U&I Rivers Edge Motel. Its like staying with mom. Its an old place but its clean and the owner took our wet clothes and threw them in her dryer for us and recommned a great place to eat. At Sedro Wooley we were going to take a detour and head west to check out deception pass and Anacortes. Definitly do it if time and weather permit.

Day 4: Okanogan, WA to Lewiston, ID. Approx 250 miles. We rode hwy 20 to 155 to 2 to 195. Highlights were riding through the Colville Indian reservation (155) Very curvy and scenic. Also great was riding the rural areas of 2 and 195 along the endless rolling hills and wheat fields. "Amber waves of grain"

Day 5: Lewiston, ID to Boise, ID. Aprox 300 miles. We rode hwy 95 to 55. Talk about 100% scenic! The road follows the river down and winds between mountains.

Day 6: Boise, ID to Salt Lake City. Approx 350 miles all freeway.

Here's some pics of the trip: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/sjmarsing/bike%20trip%202006/?start=all

Total Miles - 2083
Avg price of fuel - $3.13
Avg miles per gallon - 38

02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Wolf that sounds like quite the trip to me. I've never ridden west of Missoula, Mt. I keep thinking one of these days I'll get out that way.

trip
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
That's a good trip report, Wolfman. Sounds like you guys had a blast. It doesn't matter how you do the trip report, just that you report to everyone. I like the way you did the report.

Keep up the good work!

Trip

blowndodge
02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Wish I could've been there with ya Wolfman!!!

dakals
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
You did a great job wolfman, Sound like an awesome trip!!!!

bobzinger
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I've dreamed of following the Lewis and Clark trail, at least as much as you can by motorcycle. I put together a ride map for that day...and you covered some of the same routes. Thanx for the pix.

socwkbiker
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like a great trip WM!

davidjones1
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Wolfman those are some great pic's and a good job reporting the ride. I bet you can't wait for the next one. Thanks for the day dream.
ride safe.

buck
03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Wolfman. The PNW is my favorite riding grounds. 'm planning a similar ride in June, starting in Bend, Or and working our way north through Washington and Idaho. The stretch through the Salmon River Mountains sounds especially cool. Did you make your way over to Hells Canyon? Buck

03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
No i didn't check out hells canyon just stayed on 95 and 55. Its a good days ride from Lewiston to Boise riding the back highways and the twisties obviously takes longer than straight freeways esp. when you have to slow down to 25mph going through all the little towns. We left early in the morning and got into boise in the afternoon so you would definitly have time to take little detours off the main road to check things out. you'll have a blast its great riding up there. In the next couple of years I'm going to ride a route through Oregon that I read about in a magazine recently. I can't remeber the exact route off the top of my head but Its well over 1000 miles and involves the coast and pretty much the whole ride is considered "scenic" except for the part through downtown Portland.