PDA

View Full Version : Vacation 2012

phot
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Its time to plan my road trip this year. I am flying into Washington DC from the UK on 1st Sept picking up a rental bike and heading South, wife pillion. Will be flying out from Atlanta on 14th Sept. Need some help now putting together the itinary, any ideas guys?

nomad4dixie
03-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Have to do the Tail of the Dragon, Hwy 129 between NC and Tenn. Also, anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway is a scenic ride, particularly Linn Cove Viaduct near Grandfather Mountain.

BudMan
03-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Great Smokey Mtns Nat. Park is a great place to visit.
And I agree, riding some of the Blue Ridge Parkway is an excellent idea.
We were there for the National Rally and look forward to getting back there soon.

elvis
03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Its time to plan my road trip this year. I am flying into Washington DC from the UK on 1st Sept picking up a rental bike and heading South, wife pillion. Will be flying out from Atlanta on 14th Sept. Need some help now putting together the itinary, any ideas guys?

Not familiar with East Coast but http://byways.org/explore/ is a good website to plan a road trip.

george james
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

Pm sent

bibendum
03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I assume flying into IAD, and renting a harley. So when your done visiting dc, (assuming your planning on sightseeing some) head west on interstate 66, until your out past manassas. Than take a scenic ride on rt. 55 to front royal before turning south, there you can grab the top of the blue ridge parkway, now your in mountain country and can take the scenic routes all the way to the dragon.. this is all assuming you don't have a route already in mind. Do your self a favor, stay off interstate 95 within 40 miles of dc. Unless there is no aternative. It's the fast lane to being run over by an inatentive driver commuting home from their cushy big government jobs. Seriously, if you must do NOT try it on Friday. It will take you 2-3 hours to go 30 miles, and you rental Harley will surely overheat. I hope you have a great trip. If I can be of any help with questons about the dc region, send me a pm, I'll be as straightforward as I can.