PDA

View Full Version : Stalling out

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
2000 1500 Nomad - Starts and runs like a dream. Stalled on me twice on rides. 1st time I had just filled up, tank was low, but hadn't switched to reserve yet. Left the station and she didn't want to idle, I had to keep giving her throttle to keep from stalling and it cleared up in a short distance. 2nd time was yesterday on a run throught he dragon. Rode over and was on my way back and she just cut out on me. I knew I was running close to needing to switch to reserve and did so while moving, but she wouldn't stay running. Pulled over and had to choke her to get her going. Pull out and in a short distance she cuts out again. Went through this several times and thought I was going to drain the battery every time I was trying to get her going. Last time I sat for a second to and then got her going again and was fine all the way home, about another 1 hr ride. Idled fine and everything.

So, do you think this is heat related ( I never saw the temp light come on) or perhaps a fuel pump going out ( 42,000 miles on her ) or what else. I'll wait on the input you might have. Thanks, Dave

blowndodge
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
More info needed. not sure is your bike FI or carb?? Sounds like a lean condition that has developed. Intake gasket leak, dirt in your tank choking the fuel flow. Give me more

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry, Carbed, tank looks clean.

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Also, before I bought it recently it was supposed to have been at the dealer and had the carb completely rebuilt and jetted properly. Like I said it runs great except for theses 2 recent incidents. I've put about 1,500 miles on it without any other issues.

dank
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Have you checked the air filter recently?

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Have you checked the air filter recently?

Yeah, I pulled the cover to see what I had as the previous owner had a lot of extras and as suspected it had a K&N filter on it that was clean.

vroc13091
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Could be restrcted fuel movement due to trash in line. May have to pull fuel lines an clear.

Check and or R&R the fuel filter ref #49019 in fuel parts diagram at below link.

pic
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SSIConverted/379739_080314_123724_4937.png

ref 49040 is the fuel pump.

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Could be restrcted fuel movement due to trash in line. May have to pull fuel lines an clear.

Check and or R&R the fuel filter ref #49019 in fuel parts diagram at below link.

pic
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SSIConverted/379739_080314_123724_4937.png

ref 49040 is the fuel pump.

Thanks

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I ssume 49019 is the fuel filter which could be a possibility too I suppose. Duh, you stated that. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

blowndodge
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
If that doesn't clear it up and it should. When the bike is running spray some WD40 at the intake where it meets the carbs and the cylinder head to see if the RPM's change. If it does then you have an intake leak and the bike is gulping air and running lean.

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Appreciate the help. Just talked to the PO and with 40,000+ miles the fuel pump and filter haven't been done and so I'm looking at these. I'm working blind as I don't have a manual. I'll probably go get one, but was hoping to get the tank off first and isolate the parts which I think are under it. Besides the single bolt at the rear of the tank are there any other connections that are secured/bolted to lossen before it will let loose of the frame?? Seems a little snug and don't want to force (break) anything.

03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
First thought: drain that float bowl into a clean glass & see what comes out. Any dirt/water?

After 8 years the fuel lines may be degrading. They can shed crap and plug up jets and filters.

Another possibility: you bought a tank of "dirty" gas and moisture or grit is clogging things up.

When people decide to clean their carbs, I always tell them to start at the tank, then petc**ks, then lines and filters first, before touching the carbs. Crap goes downhill you know, and it will quickly pollute your nice clean carbs if you don't.

If you suspect that air is leaking around the gaskets, spray WD-40 or propane around the gaskets while the bike is running & see if the RPM changes. I like propane, as WD-40 may eat off some types of paint. You can use a propane torch or even a butane cigarette lighter (unlit of course.)

03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Dang grammer nanny program doesn't like the word "petcocks".

Petcocks!
Petcocks!
Petcocks!

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 03:52 PM
http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif Thanks, just got back from dealer with a fuel filter and service manual. I do some work for the dealer, so they know me. Parts guy said in 15 years of selling kawasaki parts, he never remembers selling a fuel pump. Said they just don't quit. Hope he's right, because they're $200. I'll go through everything, starting with the tank. But if you have a filter, how would dirt get to the carbs? Isn't that what the filter prevents? I'm just hoping the filter needs replacing. Again, Thanks. I need another beer for this job.

blowndodge
03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
PETC0CK??? comes out for me??

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
PETC0CK .......................... me too.

ringadingh
03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Before I started tearing the bike apart I would want to rule out bad gas, you may just have some water in the fuel system, Try draining it out in a jar and you will see if it is contaminated or not. Then you can go on to other possibility's.

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Tank is about off now, so I'll drain and check it, but I think there may be more to the story. I'm noticing that the aircleaner and hardware are missing from the left side of the bike. There is a rubber hose that seemd to be plugged when that side was removed. Problem is I bought this from the 2nd owner who bought it as is and knows little about it. New filter was only $16 so I might as well install it since I'm this far along and see what the gas looks like and go from there. Like I said it has run good most of the time. Still don't understand how dirt would be involved if there is a filter for that. Maybe some bad gas, but it was twice and 2 dfifferent stations. However with my luck that doesn't rule it out. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, bikes back together and running fine as she has. Still have no idea what the problem was. Wish I knew something conclusive as I have a trip planned to New Mexico in May. I'll do some 1 or 2 day trips closer by and see if it repeats itself. Thanks again for the input provided. Job done, time for another beer. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Stuff can be in the lines past the filter and pump. Crudlings from failing rubber, and dried fuel deposits that wash loose.

Also, the filter will still pass tiny tiny gunk, and more importantly water. Water will find it's way into gasoline in the winter. Summer too. I remember buying gas for my boat at some marina, and it did the same thing as your bike. Stalled out in the middle of the lake, and didn't want to run right once it started again. when I looked in the tank there was 1/4" of water in the bottom. I had a see-thru tank though. Looking down the neck of an MC tank, you might not see the water & sediment.

Finally, if a filter does have dirt trapped in it from years of use, and you get water in the gas, the water itself will tend to plug up the filter because of its surface tension. When people say something "flows like water", well gasoline flows even better than water.

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Stuff can be in the lines past the filter and pump. Crudlings from failing rubber, and dried fuel deposits that wash loose.

Also, the filter will still pass tiny tiny gunk, and more importantly water. Water will find it's way into gasoline in the winter. Summer too. I remember buying gas for my boat at some marina, and it did the same thing as your bike. Stalled out in the middle of the lake, and didn't want to run right once it started again. when I looked in the tank there was 1/4" of water in the bottom. I had a see-thru tank though. Looking down the neck of an MC tank, you might not see the water & sediment.

Finally, if a filter does have dirt trapped in it from years of use, and you get water in the gas, the water itself will tend to plug up the filter because of its surface tension. When people say something "flows like water", well gasoline flows even better than water.

I didn't see any indication of the rubber hoses deteriorating on the inside, but possibly the problem is water. I didn't drain the entire tank? You think I should do that at a later time or is there and additive that would take care of any water in the system?

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah and whats up with 2 caddmann's on the site?????????? :)

03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
It is common for people to sell a used bike that's been sitting around until the fuel dried up and left deposits. They throw some fresh gas in it and "Hey! It runs!" and they sell it.

Within a week, the fresh gas has loosened tiny bits of dried fuel residue, and it washes down into the screens or jets and the bike starts running poorly. Flushing things out, and then a good dose of SeaFoam will often clear things up.

03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Adding some Heet or SeaFoam or other fuel de-icer to the gas might help.

And, just call me Cadd. for short, hey?

misunderstood
03-14-2008, 06:02 PM
That's probably what I'll do and see what follows. Thanks http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

nomadd
03-14-2008, 08:41 PM
PETC0CK, PETC0CK, PETC0CK, PETC0CK hey I can say it too! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif