PDA

View Full Version : Speedo

sturmannderss
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I just bought a 2005 with 4.700 miles. I was riding it for about the 5th time today when I noticed the speedo was not working. I went about another 5 miles and it was reading 10 mph. Problem was I was on I-485 probably doing 70. Within another 10 miles it was working fine. Are there any known problems with the speedo on these models?? I did notice that the odometer continued to regidter seemingly correctly the whole time. Where does the speedo pick up the info from? I didn't notice a wire to the front hub as most mechanical speedos fed from. Thanks for your time.

ringadingh
03-02-2008, 08:14 PM
The speedometers are troublefree for the most part other than traditionaly reading about 10% faster than the actual speed in most cases. You may have a faulty speed sensor. They are electronic speedos that pickup from the rear wheel.

nomadd
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I would first check the wiring. Maybe the previous owner had the tank off and didn't reconnect the harness correctly. One of the pins may be corroded or may not be making a good contact. The sensor for the speedo is under the alternator outer cover. There is a proceedure for checking the electronic speedometer and sensor in the service manual but it is rather lengthly and requires some specialized equipment.

oldbiker
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
The speed sensor on the 1600 is on the driveshaft. Take off the left floorboard, heel/toe shifters and side cover. It will be the white , triangle, three wire plug. It's probably corroded. This is not hard to do. You won't lose any oil when you remove the side cover. Mark the shifter positions before you take them off. It's easier if the bike is level. Normally the problem isn't under the tank, but it's possible. Hope this helps.

blowndodge
03-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Good tip oldbiker! most wouldn't consider that that area could let moisture in and corrode the sensor. I'm getting the new SpeedoHealer and I plan on cleaning up all the contacts down there and using that dia...electr?? grease to protect all of the connectors!

ells
03-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Interesting, an ad for the swim suits shows up for this thread. I'm guessing some folks on this site probably buy!

sturmannderss
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know what I find.

sturmannderss
03-12-2008, 04:29 AM
I pulled side cover off. All the connections were clean and dry, but I went over them anyway. I even pulled the speed sensor and wiped it off. I put back together and rode her yesterday morning to work. There and back it worked fine. I rode in to work this morning and it's not working again. I guess I need to pull the speedo off and check all the connections under there.

blowndodge
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
That would be the next logical course of action. Don't just check the connectors but the wiring that runs under the tank too. Tank could have been off and got pinched putting back on.

sturmannderss
03-14-2008, 04:51 AM
I have noticed that I can now tell when it's not going to work. When you turn the key to the on position, the speedo will cycle, then go back to zero. When I do this and the needle doesn't move, I know it won't work. It's odd, because it seems to not work in the morning for the drive in to work, but is working for the ride home. I'm going to pull the speedo off the tank this weekend. We'll see what happens.

pablo
03-14-2008, 07:40 AM
My speedometer does that sometimes. If it doesn't move, I turn the switch off and beat on the side of the speedo housing with my fingers (lightly) and then switch it back on. Usually this fixes it the first time. I'm thinking a loose connection, but haven't taken it apart to check. This would indicate that the problem is in back of the gage itself.
Paul

Top Cat
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
My speedometer does that sometimes. If it doesn't move, I turn the switch off and beat on the side of the speedo housing with my fist and then switch it back on. Usually this fixes it the first time. I'm thinking a loose connection, but haven't taken it apart to check. This would indicate that the problem is in back of the gage itself.
Paul

Thats the way I fix my TV and Computer and, well, almost everything http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif
Sorry Pablo, I changed some of your words http://s2.images.proboards.com/lipsrsealed.gif

pablo
03-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm with you. If it doesn't work, beat on it. If that doesn't work, then you have to go to plan B.

03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Amazing, those of us that remember when radios and tvs used vacuum tubes, we still beat on things when they quit working. Even more amazing is how often that works.

Top Cat
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Amazing, those of us that remember when radios and tvs used vacuum tubes, we still beat on things when they quit working. Even more amazing is how often that works.

http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif I can remember my Dad calling the TV Repairman and he came to our house to fix the set http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif He had a big black case full of vacume tubes. He would get behind the set and set a mirror in front of it so he could see the screen.
He11, now if the set dosen't work you throw it away and buy a new one ::)

sturmannderss
03-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Well, I've pulled the cover off the tank and cleaned these connections. I checked speedo and everything looked fine. Went for a ride yesterday and the same thing happened. Although, by the time I went about 5 miles it was working and continued to the rest of the day. This morning I left for work and it didn't work for the whole ride in(about 22 miles). I'm at my wits end. I guess I need to go to the dealer?????

pablo
03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm getting tired of beating on mine to get it to work, so hope you get it figured out so I can fix mine.
Pablo

blowndodge
03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
As far as "pullling the cover off the tank". I think you mean the left side chrome cover near the shifter where the speedo pick up is located? Did you also pull the intrument housing off and go through those connectors as well?