PDA

View Full Version : can i use 2 wolo's

george james
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
I searched, couldn't find an answer to satisfy my mind so here is my question(s).............will 2 wolo's give me a louder system (have been advised "yes" but only by 3db) or will it b simply stero horns? Will the system handle both on 1 relay (40 amp) or should i use 2 relays triggered by the single horn button. I understand the wire size, amps,watts, fuse size etc. Also been advised if i use 1 relay the far horn will not get enough power to operate at full potential (why would that b if i properly size the wire, fuse and relay? The horns are 18 amps each initially then drops to 14 each. Mayd simply nuts 4 wantn 2 use 2 horns....thats just me....thanx 4 any @all input. George (a newb on the forum

Sin City Stan
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
3 dB is a big difference. The decible scale is logrithmic. I would use two relays if I were to do this. However, I'm satisfied with the output from one. Good luck.

ringadingh
01-31-2012, 09:54 PM
I think one horn is more than enough, but if you do decide to install a second one use a seperate relay, you should be able to still run them from the one switch on the handlebar.

jestephens
01-31-2012, 11:01 PM
3 dB is a big difference. The decible scale is logrithmic. I would use two relays if I were to do this. However, I'm satisfied with the output from one. Good luck.

In a chart I saw, 3dB change is considered "Barely Perceptible". In order to be considered "twice as loud", you would need an increase of 10dB. Doing the math, at 130dB you would need 10 horns to reach 140.1db (twice as loud).

I wish some designers of larger public restrooms would understand that especially in an all-tile bathroom, those 10-20, 90db air hand dryers can feel deafening!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-toilet10.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Jesus Freak
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Why is it that a 1700cc phat V twin that looks like offspring of beauty and the beast dipped in chrome comes with a horn that beeps like your grandmas 50cc scooter??? I would love to find a replacement horn that sounds like it belongs on the bike... Any suggestions?
George, do you have a Solo now? Is it a deeper tone?

Jesus Freak
01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Wolo (darn spell correction)

george james
02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Why is it that a 1700cc phat V twin that looks like offspring of beauty and the beast dipped in chrome comes with a horn that beeps like your grandmas 50cc scooter??? I would love to find a replacement horn that sounds like it belongs on the bike... Any suggestions?

Yes i do and it is much deeper and b'n a air horn the penetration is severe as compared 2 the road runner horn that came on the bike. Go to wolo's site and listen 4 u'r self, u'll b impressed. They go 4 39.99 at most automotive chain stores (includes relay), they also can provide u with a wire harness 4 about 15.00. Very simple to install. If i remember correctly the instructions state that u can simply replace the oem horn without the use of a relay ........would not suggest do n that as it will eventually fry u'r horn switch.

Monkeyman
02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
I would never hook up a big aftermarket horn with no relay. Like george said, you'll end up frying your horn wiring/switch. You could probably run 10 Wolos if each of them had their own dedicated wiring run/relay. It doesn't take much to turn a relay on which is all the horn button does.

twowheeladdict
02-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Check out my horns.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24965

I went electric instead of air because I do ride in the rain and didn't want to split the fairing to find a dry place to mount the Stebel Nautilus Air Horn.

jestephens
02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
On my '11 Vaquero, I hid some car horns behind the forks using the stock mounting location with a homemade bracket. I originally tried some Cadillac horns from the salvage yard, but they were too big to fit in this location without hitting the forks at full crank.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/jestephens/Vaquero%201700/horn01.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/jestephens/Vaquero%201700/horn02.jpg

I used similar horns on my '05 Nomad. Using the stock horn location and a horn bracket taken from a mid-90's Ford Ranger pick up. I later replaced these with chrome ones.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/jestephens/DSCN2512.jpg

rewindgy
02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
What? I can't hear you - some guy deafened me with those damn horns!

george james
02-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Check out my horns.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24965

I went electric instead of air because I do ride in the rain and didn't want to split the fairing to find a dry place to mount the Stebel Nautilus Air Horn.

I don't remember the instructions warning about water bn a problem........also i read a post on another forum about 1 guy that for 3 yrs has bn run'n his n the rain w/o protection and fac'n forward. Go'n 2 read instructions again, will report back.....

george james
02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't remember the instructions warning about water bn a problem........also i read a post on another forum about 1 guy that for 3 yrs has bn run'n his n the rain w/o protection and fac'n forward. Go'n 2 read instructions again, will report back.....

I was mistaken it reads "mount the bad boy horn vertically (when possible) in a dry location,safe from eng exhaust and moving parts". I mounted mine on right crash bar fac'n forward (which is the reason i want another one, just 2 balance out the looks of it)

George

jestephens
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I was mistaken it reads "mount the bad boy horn vertically (when possible) in a dry location,safe from eng exhaust and moving parts". I mounted mine on right crash bar fac'n forward (which is the reason i want another one, just 2 balance out the looks of it)

George

They just need to drain water rather than retain it.

twowheeladdict
02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
They just need to drain water rather than retain it.

If water gets into the air intake for the compressor ... well let's just say vapor lock and by by horn.

george james
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
If water gets into the air intake for the compressor ... well let's just say vapor lock and by by horn.

R u thinking if it ismounted vertical with opening forward h2o willl b forced in2 the air intake or just thinking it could happen? If that in fact is a real probability i may need 2 carry a sandwich bag 4 those heavy rains. The horn is unprotected. Thoughts?
Thanx george

Blueraven
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I run mine UNPROTECTED in the rain. It is mounted vertical. NO ISSUES and opening facing forward. Been like that for 1 year now.

george james
02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I run mine UNPROTECTED in the rain. It is mounted vertical. NO ISSUES and opening facing forward. Been like that for 1 year now.

Where did u mount u'rs, mine is mounted on crash bar, has 0 protection.

cactusjack
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Where did u mount u'rs, mine is mounted on crash bar, has 0 protection.

Many of us mounted them where the OEM horn was.

twowheeladdict
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I run mine UNPROTECTED in the rain. It is mounted vertical. NO ISSUES and opening facing forward. Been like that for 1 year now. Have you used it during the rain? If you don't use it water isn't getting sucked into the intake.

R u thinking if it ismounted vertical with opening forward h2o willl b forced in2 the air intake or just thinking it could happen? If that in fact is a real probability i may need 2 carry a sandwich bag 4 those heavy rains. The horn is unprotected. Thoughts?
Thanx george

Look at where the air intake is. On the Stebel Nautilus they provide a hose with a 90 degree angle fitting so you can have the opening away from normal rain. Heavy rain and spashing is another issue.

I know of several guys who have had the horns fail when they used them in the rain. Some guys are now leaving the stock horn on the bike and if the air horn fails they can move the wires from the relay to the stock horn.

So now that I have said this, i am sure the horn will work until it fails. :tup: