PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy

lrs
06-29-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm a brand new member to KawaNow and am sitting on a fence in regards to exactly what to buy. I have wanted a Nomad for a long time, my brother has a 2001 1500 that has given him great rides & lots of miles with no problems. I gave up riding ~30 years ago when babies came along and my wife got 'security/safety' fever, but now after just having my 55th birthday I really wanna get back into the touring scene. There is way too much of Texas that just should not be seen only through a truck windshield. {I have done the 337 route on a bike - 30 year ago.....) :-/
My problem is that I have two ways to go, and I know that this is a Vulcan Forum so I thought that I would just toss this out and see what you all think. The Vulcan Nomad is a great bike - but what about a Stratoliner? Yeah - it does cost more, but it does weigh less. While the Nomad wins all of it's shootouts in the 1600cc class, the Stratoliner wins all of the shootouts in the 1800cc+/- class. So here I sit gathering my money together, hoping to have enough by fall to buy a bike, and I can not make up my mind........ Please let me know your comments. I am looking foreword to joining you all rolling down the Texas back roads very very soon..... LRS

lrs
06-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey Groundhog - Yeah I have to admit that the Nomad is just about as proven and bullet proof platform that exists out there. And honestly in the 'Bang for the Buck' catagory I fail to see anything that lives up the quailty and reliability of the Nomad. In regards to power lets be honest again - just how much 'power' does one really need? That 1552cc's you sit on top of with a Nomad will move you on down the road a lot quicker than common sense dictates you should. I want a 'cruiser' that is reliable, reasonably comfortable for long rides, and has as few quirks as possible when it comes to handling in tight situations. A true 'cruisr' will never be actually nimble, but at the same time it must not behave like a dump truck with a saddle strapped on. I have read great things about the Vulcan/Nomad in regards to it's handling and comfort. Does anyone have any disparaging words?

lrs
06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
It's LRS again. By the way, After traveling the Hill Country about 2 months ago and the zillion cruisers on the road, it became painfully obvious that having a light bar with 2 'extra' headlights for day travel was a MUST HAVE for saftey reasons. With a single light or no light, often the bikes became almost invisable against the bright sky and heat shimmer off the highway. Thus the question - what light bar & what lights? I know the dealer has one, but in your collective experience what is the 'best' for both utility as well a great looks? One really great thing about a Nomad is that I see the light bar as really the only 'required' add on before hitting the road.

waynem
06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
LRS,
Try to ride before you by. Many dealers have demo days. Or, find a "bad" friend, and ask if you can ride his. I say bad, because if you dump it you won't feel bad yourself.

It really is what you are comfortable with. At least sit on each one. Stand it up and feel it with the thighs. They are the only part of the body that really needs to stand a bike up. It has to be comfortable for you. It's not so much as 1500 or 1800 cc's but the creature comfort.

You started right by asking the question on this forum. Of course, most of the members here are going to be biased towards the Nomad because that is what they ride. I have not ridden the stroliner, but have ridden the Custom Royal my brother has. He claims it is one step down from the Venture. Personally, I thought it was sluggish compared to the 2004 Nomad I had at the time. But hey, I think the 2006 HD Electorglide was sluggish also in comparison.

Try this site for some comparison road tests: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/

Semper Fi!

Semper Fi!

oledawg
06-29-2007, 08:15 PM
YOU STATED THAT THE STRAT. WAS LIGHTER AND IT IS, ITS ALSO A LITTLE QUICKER THAN THE NOMAD. BUT the Nomad is a much smoother ride. The Strat handles well,as a result of an alloy swingarm.But I don't believe it handles any better than the Nad.I work for a Yamaha Dealer and get dealer cost . But I went to another Dealer to purchase my 2nd Nomad. Why, smoother ride,problem free,GREAT handling,plenty of spunk, and most important of all "MY WIFE LOVES IT". I see Yamaha recalls quite frequently. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif
Ole Dawg

rebel
06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
If I remember right the stratoliner are air cooled which cuts down on engine life.

06-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Call me crazy! I decided to trade in my 2000 Roadstar Silverado 1600 with 93,000 (not all put on by me... i bought it used) ... I test drove a 2005 Roadstar Silverado and then a 2007 Stratoliner...... I felt nice but I wasn't overly impressed. I test drove a "99 Nomad just for the heck of it.... the price was so low I had to just "try it".... I fell in love with it right away...... by far the most comfortable (it does have a Mustang seat) and now it's mine.... would never go back.

bassman
06-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I did alot of research before I bought my 07 Nomad and I have to say I couldn't be happier with my choice....its a great bike and I really like the way it looks.....

trip
07-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Welcome to kawanow, lrs.....

Don't know much about the Stratoliner, so I really can't give you any info from my perspective. I would suggest that you do the research and buy what you feel is the best bike for your money.

Trip

dogdoc
08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Nomads are the only way to go guys. I installed a Cobra lightbar with spots on my '05 Nomad and the look and safety are fabulous. Great upgrade.

Doc

nightflight1
08-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm not a fan of the Yamahas due to the air cooled engines. Unless the Strato is water cooled I would not even consider it. I had a Yamaha Silverado air cooled and it ran ok but it is too hot here on the MEX/TX border to be riding in hot weather without radiators.... just my opinion. My '05 Nomad is a great bike and I have kept it longer than most of the bikes I have owned. I trade too often and it's hard to think about parting with my Nomad. I have the HD light bar as well as the HD fairing and like them both. Good lights, not buffeting, and I installed a Gold Wing louver in the shield for when I need more air.

socwkbiker
08-05-2007, 05:19 PM
When I was trying to decide which bike to buy I was in the same boat you are lrs. I went back and forth between the Yamaha and the Nomad. Beyond the smooth ride, positive maintenance reports and magazine reviews, the one thing that stuck out in my mind was the heat. When its 93-100 out there, you may not want an air-cooled bike. As for the light bar, I went with a Cobra and its great.

Good luck with your hunt!

Top Cat
08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Never rode a Stratoliner but as far as the lightbar goes I bought a Cobra. The quality is great and I like the looks better than the Harley type where the signal lights hang down under the bar. The cobra relocates your signals out to the end of the bar. Looks neater and not like an add on. If you get one I would sugest wiring it as described on the Gadgets fixit page website. It is more involved but worth the time spent. If I can wire it and follow the directions ANYBODY can do it http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

ponch
08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
The stratoliner is a well designed machine and it really flows together. The shortcomings I see are a small gas tank, odd tire sizes, and small bags. They look big but they are narrow. As put together as the Strat is, considering the price, there are other bikes I'd get for a few dollars more, like a R1200RT or GS Adventure. I will disagree with one comment: Aircooled bikes don't last as long. The BMW R series engines last 150-200K miles. That's not shabby.

kingcruiser
08-06-2007, 06:57 AM
When I bought my 07 Nomad I did 3 months of research and also considered HD and Yamaha.
Then the wife sat on all of them and picked the Nomad. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

lw
08-06-2007, 08:11 AM
If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Amen.

socwkbiker
08-06-2007, 08:34 AM
You're right about that kingcruiser