PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Vaquero touring seat

ironhead1977
01-02-2012, 06:14 PM
The last touring seat I bought was hard as a rock. I like the stock Vaquero seat but the wife wants a larger passenger seat area and the Kaw touring seat specs it as 30% wider. What do you think of that seat?

twowheeladdict
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't own one but I did try one during the Vulcan Nation Demo Tour. My impression is that the seat is firmer than stock due to being gel, and sits you up an inch or so higher than the stock seat. The nice thing is that you can quickly change out seats on the bike so use the stock for solo riding and put on the touring seat when the wife is aboard.

motomi1
01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I have the touring seat and I will soon have it lowered and some better (read softer) foam used for the driver portion as I cannot stand it for more than one hour. My wife likes her part just fine but the seat is too high and too firm for me. Major butt burn inside an hour and it does not "break in"!

aldridgekennedy
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I just went to the vaquero. Thats the only "concern" my wife has. She got used to the more comfortable passenger seat of the Nomad.

We are looking at the OEM touring seat. (The price is a lot better than other custom seats)

has anyone found an aftermarket seat, other than the OEM seat, that you would recommend?

remcbride
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Kawasaki Vaquero Owners,

Today’s update includes pictures of the first Mustang prototype seat for the Kawasaki Vaquero. Seats are still a long way from full production,but the attached pictures show what you can expect.

Mustang will be offering a line of one-piece,two-person seats for this Kawasaki model. There will not be any solo seats or two-piece seats offered. The full line of offerings has not yet been decided upon,but will include both plain and chrome-studded touring seats,both with and without the built-in driver and passenger backrests that you see in today’s pictures.

Prices are also not yet set; as soon as pricing and part numbers become available,I will be sending another update.

Advanced orders are not being accepted,and will not be taken until full production starts,hopefully sometime around Christmas.

If you have any questions,please e-mail back to me and I will do my best to find answers for you.

Thanks for your continued interest and patience as we design seats for your

remcbride
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
ike@mustangseats.com You can email this guy at mustang and he can send you pics of their new (still in the works) seat its mounted on the red vaquero and looks good.

bobzinger
01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone get a Russells for their Vaquero yet?

ponch
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
When costs are considered, getting a custom seat makes a lot of sense. It is made for the rider and pillion, not an off the shelf seat that may or may not work for them. I have owned two Mustang seats, one for a Vulcan 800 and one for the Nomad. All I can say is that I should have sent the stock seat to Russell or Rick Meyer and there are others I am sure.

twowheeladdict
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
When costs are considered, getting a custom seat makes a lot of sense. It is made for the rider and pillion, not an off the shelf seat that may or may not work for them. I have owned two Mustang seats, one for a Vulcan 800 and one for the Nomad. All I can say is that I should have sent the stock seat to Russell or Rick Meyer and there are others I am sure.

Definitely agree, as long as you can get it done locally, or ride in to one of the national customizer's locations to get it done.

www.greatdaytoride.com (http://www.greatdaytoride.com) is an economical option if you just want to get the OEM seat more comfortable without changing the look.

ponch
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Definitely agree, as long as you can get it done locally, or ride in to one of the national customizer's locations to get it done.

www.greatdaytoride.com (http://www.greatdaytoride.com) is an economical option if you just want to get the OEM seat more comfortable without changing the look.

I wouldn't mind shipping it.

jp58
01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I just went to the vaquero. Thats the only "concern" my wife has. She got used to the more comfortable passenger seat of the Nomad.

We are looking at the OEM touring seat. (The price is a lot better than other custom seats)

has anyone found an aftermarket seat, other than the OEM seat, that you would recommend?

I have a russel on my 2011 nomad, I just got the rider seat since my wife said the passenger seat is very comforable. I like the russel but it will sit you higher. I have a 30" inseam and cant quite flatfoot. But boots will help. Since they use spring suspension i would think they could widen the passenger seat to work for her.

twowheeladdict
01-04-2012, 07:38 AM
I have a russel on my 2011 nomad, I just got the rider seat since my wife said the passenger seat is very comforable. I like the russel but it will sit you higher. I have a 30" inseam and cant quite flatfoot. But boots will help. Since they use spring suspension i would think they could widen the passenger seat to work for her.

Can you post up a photo of the seat on the bike? I have a 3 week ride planned this summer and am thinking about doing something to the stock seat. Did you have to adjust the windscreen with the Russel seat on the bike?

azcruizer
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I have the touring gel seat on my Vaquero and really like it. It does sit you up a bit higher, but I find it comfortable on full day rides. I do have a Grasshopper drivers backrest that makes a world of difference. My wife doesn't ride often, but says the seat is comfy for her too! Happy wife=happy life :-)

jp58
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Can you post up a photo of the seat on the bike? I have a 3 week ride planned this summer and am thinking about doing something to the stock seat. Did you have to adjust the windscreen with the Russel seat on the bike?

Here's some pics. I may raise the shield 1/2 inch. Dont think ill need to though. My sig pic is the stock seat. A real jewel kruncher.

Monkeyman
01-05-2012, 12:06 AM
So THAT'S what a clean bike looks like, eh? I've got some serious work to do with the Mean Green stuff. Nice looking seat. I might have to check out greatdaytoride.com for mine. I don't really like the looks of the OEM seat ('07) but I could live with it for another year if it was comfortable. $50 for more comfort is well worth it, especially if I put the miles on it I plan.

twowheeladdict
01-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Here's some pics. I may raise the shield 1/2 inch. Dont think ill need to though. My sig pic is the stock seat. A real jewel kruncher.

Thanks. How many continuous hours have you spent in the seat? Is it truly all day comfort?

jp58
01-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks. How many continuous hours have you spent in the seat? Is it truly all day comfort?

I just got it in november. So i have'nt had a chance to go on a long ride. Its winter now. But way better than stock. I sit on it for awhile now and than over winter and playing my tunes. Got to break it in before spring. My garage is fairly warm. I have a buddy that had a burgman 650 and had the Russel and he could outlast any of us and we had custom seats also. He said no butt burn. So i bought a Rusell for this bike.

twowheeladdict
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I just got it in november. So i have'nt had a chance to go on a long ride. Its winter now. But way better than stock. I sit on it for awhile now and than over winter and playing my tunes. Got to break it in before spring. My garage is fairly warm. I have a buddy that had a burgman 650 and had the Russel and he could outlast any of us and we had custom seats also. He said no butt burn. So i bought a Rusell for this bike.

Thanks. Since the Voyager and Nomad take the same seat, I might just have to give the Russel serious consideration. How many weeks did it take from when your seat left you until the new one was delivered?

motomi1
01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Here are a couple of pics of a stock seat modified for more lower back support.

BC RED VAQ
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
The mustang seats will go for $489 wide touring to $789 wide touring with pass and driver back rest. Just got replie from mustang be in production by end of jan.

jp58
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks. Since the Voyager and Nomad take the same seat, I might just have to give the Russel serious consideration. How many weeks did it take from when your seat left you until the new one was delivered?

Right now is there slow season till March. They worked on it as soon as they got it. 4 days to california for me and 4 days back from Wisconsin. 2-3 days to do it. I had it back in 11 days total. Pretty fast now but by the end of March They can be out 6-8 weeks plus shipping time. So do it now. That gos for a lot of seat builders. My last seat was a bill mayer and i sent it in on april 5 and got it back June 1. Im glad i had a spare stock seat.

dogleg
01-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I have the touring seat and I will soon have it lowered and some better (read softer) foam used for the driver portion as I cannot stand it for more than one hour. My wife likes her part just fine but the seat is too high and too firm for me. Major butt burn inside an hour and it does not "break in"!

This was the same for me. I ended up frankensteining one seat out of both. I pealed the covers back and cut the foam at the point where the driver’s backrest would go. I took both drivers sections off and glued the stock section to the touring seat pan. I stapled the cover back on and I was good to go.

For reference, both seat pans are the same.

motomi1
01-11-2012, 06:34 AM
This was the same for me. I ended up frankensteining one seat out of both. I pealed the covers back and cut the foam at the point where the driver’s backrest would go. I took both drivers sections off and glued the stock section to the touring seat pan. I stapled the cover back on and I was good to go.

For reference, both seat pans are the same.

Here is a picture of how I had the stock seat modified for more comfort. I will try to have the driver's portion on the touring seat done somewhat on this order because as I said before, the touring seat is torture for me.

ponch
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Here is a picture of how I had the stock seat modified for more comfort. I will try to have the driver's portion on the touring seat done somewhat on this order because as I said before, the touring seat is torture for me.

That passenger seat is too small. I hope there is a way to use a Voyager pan.