PDA

View Full Version : "Dropped" my new Vaquero...

toy4bob
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
best news is zero damage, except just a little to the ego. I wasn't going to post this just out of sheer embarrassment, but what the heck, I can handle it LOL

Went out for what ended up being the last ride of the year on Black Friday, had close to 60 here which is not normal for late November.

I pulled into a friends driveway to show off the bike. I was slowing basically to a stop to turn around, so I could then turn other way and backup to point back out of drive. Well, the front wheel hit leaf pile (narrow and not very deep, just didn't think it an issue until I hit it) that was wet underneath, and wheel slide out, as did my left foot when it tried to stop the fall... because it landed in the same narrow leaf "pile".

So it always happens so fast you know, but I remember thinking "wow it didn’t lean over very far and I hope I can lift it back up". Just assumed it was heading on its side, but those darn crash bars really work thank goodness! The bike is still running, in gear, when I replant left foot and heave ho using foot and arm to lift while holding in clutch. Came right up. get off and can't even tell where the bar hit the ground as it hit that darn leaf pile and had a soft landing I guess. Again, was barely moving, so don't even think it "skidded", just leaned against it.

Never dropped a bike ever before, had to wait to buy a brand new one that cost as much as my first new car to do it LOL. Was a bit upsetting but very glad could find no damage.... Oh, and it didn't help to have my son who was right behind me, and my buddy on his new Victory Cross Country witness the whole thing.... and my buddy wasn't even home!

racinfan101
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
:wtf: Whew glad no damage!

jp58
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Why did'nt it stall. I thought the 1700's have a tip over senser to kill the engine?

cnc
12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Glade there was no damage.:tup: With less than 50km on my Nomad I was turning around in my driveway and put a 10 inch scratch on one of the bag's doors catching the corner of a trailer. Was I mad at myself, but luckily it was not through the clear coat, a little wet sanding and buffing got it out.

toy4bob
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Why did'nt it stall. I thought the 1700's have a tip over senser to kill the engine?

Don't know jp, I was kinda surprised by that too. I am guessing it was because it went over so slowly and lightly...

Jesus Freak
12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
We have all been there and done that. And always happens when people are around to see....

usranger74
12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
The Club you joined is not very exclusive. Glad there was no damage.

Jared
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Definitely glad the bike didn't have any damage.

Top Cat
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Wet leaves are like ice. Glad the bike and you are not hurt.
Be happy you didn't hit wet leaves in a curve doing 55 or 60.:tup:

VulcanE
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Glad everything is OK, and like was said earlier, it happens to us all at one time or another, just stay away from leaves, and dew/frost on the grass. :yep:

Monkeyman
12-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Glad everything is OK, and like was said earlier, it happens to us all at one time or another, just stay away from leaves, and dew/frost on the grass. :yep:

And really short people with bows and arrows. And green cheese.

AlabamaNomadRider
12-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Glad only your ego was damaged.

Loafer
12-09-2011, 05:21 AM
When that bike was falling over, I bet your stomach went right up to your throat! :cry:
Glad all is Ok....:D

Monkeyman
12-09-2011, 05:50 AM
And since nobody else asked, I'll be the first. Are YOU ok?

Caddyman
12-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice of you to share that story toy4bob!

I had a couple of "offs" when I used to ride crotch rockets in the '80's especially one on a Kawasaki GPZ1100 that I was lucky to survive!
The main reason for them was always speed!

As the saying goes "there are two types of motorcyclists, those who have dropped their bikes and those who are going to drop their bikes"

GIBBY
12-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice of you to share that story toy4bob!

As the saying goes "there are two types of motorcyclists, those who have dropped their bikes and those who are going to drop their bikes"

Around here that saying goes "there are two types of motorcyclists, those that admit to dropping their bikes and liars"

ringadingh
12-09-2011, 08:25 AM
At least you had a good outcome to your incident, thats the main thing. Those leaves can be very slippery at times.

mrtelefoneman1
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Nice to hear there was no damage to you or the bike.

dabull
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
glad to hear no damage :)

markclark57
12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
+1 on no damage. Did you clean your friends driveway after that? ;)

Stump
12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I always thought tere was three types of members , those who tell, those who lie about it and in my case the one that dropes it again.

crazygene49
12-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Been there, done that. Glad everything is ok.

markclark57
12-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I always thought tere was three types of members , those who tell, those who lie about it and in my case the one that dropes it again.

. . . and the ones that don't use spell check . . . :hmm:

caper
12-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Been there Done that:)

redjay
12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Dropping the bike in front of 50 people on a patio at a pub because I grabbed too much front brake on loose gravel is much more embarassing, been there done that.

twowheeladdict
12-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I dropped my first motorcycle many times. 1977 yamaha XS 750 triple with full factory touring package. It was four years old when I bought it and I was still a teenager. I guess I learned my lesson with that bike. Haven't dropped a street bike since, but have had some close ones over the years.

wiz
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM

When I dropped my 1600 at a Ride Like a Pro class, it went down very slowly and just down to the bottom of the rear crash bar on my heel which was on the ground. No damage to the bike at all, but three weeks of limping. The bike didn't cut off. Back in August when my bike got read-ended at a red light and knocked down on it's side the tip-over sensor did kill it. Boo for illegal immigrants with no licenses or driving skills...
One of the first add ons on my Road Glide Ultra was rear crash bars.

halfacoach
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
First day with my 2001 Volusia, leaving my work parking lot, dropped her at almost zero mph.. she fell on top of me and pinned my leg, could not move, had to wait for a co worker to come out and lift her off me.. no damage.. no injury.. but have never forgotten, now I read your story and am just waiting to take my new Vaquero out for her first ride and deja vu is hitting hard.. wish me luck--LOL

toy4bob
01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
First day with my 2001 Volusia, leaving my work parking lot, dropped her at almost zero mph.. she fell on top of me and pinned my leg, could not move, had to wait for a co worker to come out and lift her off me.. no damage.. no injury.. but have never forgotten, now I read your story and am just waiting to take my new Vaquero out for her first ride and deja vu is hitting hard.. wish me luck--LOL

Jeez Coach, trying to forget this and you bring this thread back to life LOL

Well, you certainly win the most embarrassing incident :) Good luck on your first ride on the Vaquero, Keep the shiny side up and enjoy the new ride.

goose
01-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Glad you have that out of the way so you won't have to do it again! Just kidding, glad you're okay...

usranger74
01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the club. Glad to see no damage.

halfacoach
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Jeez Coach, trying to forget this and you bring this thread back to life LOL

Well, you certainly win the most embarrassing incident :) Good luck on your first ride on the Vaquero, Keep the shiny side up and enjoy the new ride.

Sorry Bob,
I know .. bad memories... but it just brought back so many I had to share.. misery loves company--LOL :lol: