PDA

View Full Version : Anybody had their bike on a Dyno?

Hacksaw
12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Came across a somewhat local bike shop who will run the bike on a Dyno and print a report for $25, or he will do full blown and adjust the TFI for best results for $100....this doesn't seem bad at all to me as the current setup with exhaust and intake mods I don't plan on changing, anyone else done it this way?

Monkeyman
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I've never had a bike on a dyno but if you think the bike's running well now, I'd just do the $25 thing just for peace of mind (and bragging rights :) ). Seems like a really good deal. Maybe I'll have him do the same for me if I make it down there next summer.

markclark57
12-03-2011, 12:32 PM
On my '06 Nomad I'm running PC III, modified Cobra true Duals, and Chuckster's Single plate intake. Before Dyno tune it ran 69 hp @ 82 ft.lb. torque, after it's running 72 hp at 85 ft.lb. torque. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but it was noticeable. I had the Dyno tune (also known as "Mapping") done on regular fuel. I now run regular fuel all of the time with no knock and better mileage. BTW I paid $140.00 for it in Lynnwood, WA before the move. I think the same service in Phoenix is $95.00. :tup:

rickyboy
12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
That's a scream'in deal IMHO
I wanted to dyno mine and have someone set the TFI for it's peak performance. But the guy wanted $300 to start and then more $$$$ depending on the time it took.

markclark57
12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a bit-O-gougin' goin' on up in Canuckland ? ? ?
Eh?

redjay
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Gouging is nothing new in Canada. Bike prices and spare parts are all more here.

markclark57
12-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Something to ask before the service is, "Does it come with a Disc?". If your battery ever looses power or is disconnected the Disc (CD?) lets you reload the program without going back to the shop. Otherwise it reverts to the base program on the processor.

Hacksaw
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Sounds like a bit-O-gougin' goin' on up in Canuckland ? ? ?
Eh?

extra charge up there for blowing all the snow off it :lol:

Sin City Stan
12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Something to ask before the service is, "Does it come with a Disc?". If your battery ever looses power or is disconnected the Disc (CD?) lets you reload the program without going back to the shop. Otherwise it reverts to the base program on the processor.

Is this true of all fuel processors. The reason I ask is I have had the battery disconnected twice since I got the bike (w/Power Commander) and I swear there is no difference in tuning. :???::???:

Blueraven
12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
That's a scream'in deal IMHO
I wanted to dyno mine and have someone set the TFI for it's peak performance. But the guy wanted $300 to start and then more $$$$ depending on the time it took.

They want $350 for mapping and dyno here in Burlington, Ontario. :bird:

Blueraven
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Is this true of all fuel processors. The reason I ask is I have had the battery disconnected twice since I got the bike (w/Power Commander) and I swear there is no difference in tuning. :???::???:

You will not loose the programing on the PCIII if battery is disconnected. There is a chance that something could go wrong and it revert back to factory programming.

cactusjack
12-03-2011, 07:39 PM
On my '06 Nomad I'm running PC III, modified Cobra true Duals, and Chuckster's Single plate intake. Before Dyno tune it ran 69 hp @ 82 ft.lb. torque, after it's running 72 hp at 85 ft.lb. torque. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but it was noticeable. I had the Dyno tune (also known as "Mapping") done on regular fuel. I now run regular fuel all of the time with no knock and better mileage. BTW I paid $140.00 for it in Lynnwood, WA before the move. I think the same service in Phoenix is $95.00. :tup:

That's a lot of money invested for 3 horsepower and 3 ft/lb of torque.

markclark57
12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
That's a lot of money invested for 3 horsepower and 3 ft/lb of torque.

I was hoping for a bit more than that, but there's no way to tell the outcome without having the mapping done. Do the mapping and you have to pay for it.

It's nice to know that I'm getting the best out of my Nomad. If I had advantage of "hindsight" I would have waited till Phoenix and saved $45, but I still would get the mapping. The factory set on the PC III was really close though.

Jared
12-04-2011, 12:31 AM

If you were tuning it for performance and not fuel economy you would be getting right around 79 hp.

markclark57
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
If you were tuning it for performance and not fuel economy you would be getting right around 79 hp.

Good to know. I told the tech to make sure it would pass emissions testing. Also if there was a line between performance and mileage to lean toward the mileage.

It's already got plenty of power for how I ride. Before the map it was sucking fuel like an old drunk on a bottle. (Oh wait, I resemble that sometimes) :cheers:

Kawhead
12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I hope I'm not late, but I wasn't impressed with my dyno experience. I got mine dynoed and the guy only turned my pots so little that it didn't justify the cost.

If you follow the instructions on the tech board, you'll get it very close.

RACNRAY
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I started using a dyno back in 1985 or so. It was a VERY primitive dyno, destroyed tires and the results were not consistant. Even with these drawbacks we made gains on the bikes we tuned.

I have owned my Dynojet Dyno since 1993. Next to my Harley Hammer it is my most important tool, and i use it to insure the skoots we tune are tuned properly. Often times dyno charts are used as male-enhancement documentation by unscrupulous dyno operators, falsifying the numbers.

Dyno charts never tell the whole story. Dyno charts typically represent full throttle runs, i.e runs done at 100% throttle, which as the numerical value implies is only 1% of total throttle operation. The most important aspect of tuning is getting the a/f ratio correct thruought the entire throttle position and rpm range. I have found the most important areas are from 2% throttle to 40%. That is where most street riding is done, so seeing any dyno results from full throttle operation has no bearing on these areas of operation.

A PC3USB has 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,80 and finally 100% throttle positions I tune at, with the PCV adding a 15% throttle position for more accurate part throttle tuning. Older PC's allowed tuning every 500rpm, newer units allow tuning every 250 rpm.

We have dyno tuned THOUSANDS of skoots over the years. When the hard drive on my first puter started to fail in 1998 i had the dyno files transferred to a new puter. In the first 5 years of dyno operation i had performed over 20,000 dyno runs!! We have had skoots come in that were so far off in tune that MAJOR power improvements were made, and as mentioned in another post some came in real close to optimum, so the gains were comparitively small.

My Vaquero came in just under 65 H.P. and 78 pnds of tork. At the last dyno session it made 85 H.P. and 102 pnds tork, nice increases over stock. But the biggest increases that I notice in normal driving were at part throttle operation and gas mileage.

I can go on, but i'll be glad to answer any questions.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

Kawhead
12-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah. I also need to mention I had a TFI processor on the bike, and it's quite easy to tune. Another thing the Dyno did cure my curiosity.

Now, for about a hundred green backs it was worth it to quench my curios thirst. Fifteen minutes later felt like that time I worked in a logging camp when Wednesday was my time in the barrel. :ohno:

jandreu
12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I started using a dyno back in 1985 or so. It was a VERY primitive dyno, destroyed tires and the results were not consistant. Even with these drawbacks we made gains on the bikes we tuned.

I have owned my Dynojet Dyno since 1993. Next to my Harley Hammer it is my most important tool, and i use it to insure the skoots we tune are tuned properly. Often times dyno charts are used as male-enhancement documentation by unscrupulous dyno operators, falsifying the numbers.

Dyno charts never tell the whole story. Dyno charts typically represent full throttle runs, i.e runs done at 100% throttle, which as the numerical value implies is only 1% of total throttle operation. The most important aspect of tuning is getting the a/f ratio correct thruought the entire throttle position and rpm range. I have found the most important areas are from 2% throttle to 40%. That is where most street riding is done, so seeing any dyno results from full throttle operation has no bearing on these areas of operation.

A PC3USB has 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,80 and finally 100% throttle positions I tune at, with the PCV adding a 15% throttle position for more accurate part throttle tuning. Older PC's allowed tuning every 500rpm, newer units allow tuning every 250 rpm.

We have dyno tuned THOUSANDS of skoots over the years. When the hard drive on my first puter started to fail in 1998 i had the dyno files transferred to a new puter. In the first 5 years of dyno operation i had performed over 20,000 dyno runs!! We have had skoots come in that were so far off in tune that MAJOR power improvements were made, and as mentioned in another post some came in real close to optimum, so the gains were comparitively small.

My Vaquero came in just under 65 H.P. and 78 pnds of tork. At the last dyno session it made 85 H.P. and 102 pnds tork, nice increases over stock. But the biggest increases that I notice in normal driving were at part throttle operation and gas mileage.

I can go on, but i'll be glad to answer any questions.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

RACNRAY, Curious to know what other mods you have done to get 85 ponies out of your ride. I'm sure you have your now infamous throttle mod but what else is helping with these numbers?

ponch
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

I remember a while back Motorcycle Cruiser did some tests with a mean streak and the best results came from a muzzy 2 into 1 system. It was around 80HP with all the mods and that was a 1500.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/exhaust_systems/index.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/kwasaki_mean_streak_custom/index.html

Jared
12-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I remember a while back Motorcycle Cruiser did some tests with a mean streak and the best results came from a muzzy 2 into 1 system. It was around 80HP with all the mods and that was a 1500.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/exhaust_systems/index.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/kwasaki_mean_streak_custom/index.html

80 horsepower on a 1500 with vance hines exhaust and a thunder air kit. not too bad!

Bdog
12-08-2011, 01:25 AM
I have the cobra true duals, cobra fuel processor(3pots) and my own design of single intake. I've removed the pods and reeds. I set it up to the recommended #'s. Since then I've dialed it in for performance, then for fuel efficiancy, then for the way I ride. I recorded all #'s for each and changed them to the way I ride..she now runs sweet, smooth and efficent. I can keep up and slightly out pull my buddys 2011 harley103(v/h pipes, screamin eagle intake and fuel processor) although it costs me about 3/4"s a gallon more for the same milage. We usually cruise around 75mph or more and the Harleys 6spd. is the reason for the fuel difference for the most part imo..when we cruise at 55mph..the fuel used is the same amount for each bike. I would like to know what the dyno #'s are just for curiosity but not willing to spend the bucks to find out...Bdog

caper
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Having oem exhaust ,de baffled and not going to buy after market exhausts! what would be my best set up to open up my air intake? including what type fuel processor and what to use for an air intake. I am liking the two side of the engine to look the same( maybe ) :) Thanks

Monkeyman
12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Chucksters dual plate intake will allow you to use both stock dogbowls. It's around $130 once you buy a filter (although he can supply the correct filter for about the same price you can buy one in a store). Not only does he do quality work, but he's a member here. I have his coasters and will have his dual plate intake shortly. The Dobreck/TFI seems to be the most popular (and least expensive) fuel processor. I have a V&H FuelPak (not installed yet) only because I found one (used) through a member here for a screaming deal I couldn't pass up. I have the V&H duals and should have my Ultimate Baffles in a few weeks. I'll dyno the bike next summer just to see what it puts out.

RACNRAY
12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
RACNRAY, Curious to know what other mods you have done to get 85 ponies out of your ride. I'm sure you have your now infamous throttle mod but what else is helping with these numbers?

I have my own i guess it could be called a big air kit using the stock intake system, i had highly modified Cobra s/o's but now have a V&H 2-1. The 2-1 made no more power than my modified s/o's, but did improve low speed throttle response, made the engine smoother, and shed 13 pounds off the skoot. I have a PCV that i have custom mapped for my mods.

I did the throttle mod during the first dyno session back in May or June. I also just performed some intake surgery to correct intake vacuum leaks my skoot and other Vulcan owners may be experiencing. I'll stsrt a thread to detail what i did and why.

RACNRAY

sarge1057
12-18-2011, 07:24 AM
any dyno tuners in upstate New York

Loafer
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Copied from HD forum. Hope this will help.
Joe's cycle Mechanicville
http://www.joescyclerepair.com/
is Fantastic according to scott @ Hillside cycles - Hillside Cycles Munnsville N.Y
Performance (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/#) H.D Syracuse N.Y
Dan Thayer Corfu N.Y

Cajunrider
12-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Local independent shop here Dyno Tunes for $40. Three pulls to fine tune processor for increasing engine temperature. I've been wanting to have mine Dyno tuned but averaging over 40 mpg riding 2 up on regular (ethanol free) with no ping kind of makes me want to leave it as is.

Sin City Stan
12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Local independent shop here Dyno Tunes for $40. Three pulls to fine tune processor for increasing engine temperature. I've been wanting to have mine Dyno tuned but averaging over 40 mpg riding 2 up on regular (ethanol free) with no ping kind of makes me want to leave it as is.

If the throttle response is adequate I sure wouldn't touch it. :yep:

sarge1057
12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks Loafer I will check them out in the spring.