PDA

View Full Version : Winter Srorage

ramdam1
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Can I get some feed back on the proper and best way to store my 2011 Nomad. Sorry but a heated garage is not in the budget. I have the things to do before the winter all done except for the battery storage. Inside the house or in the cold shed? I have a Battery Tender Jr that I can use but wonder how it will do when it is cold outside. I see there is one that compensates for the cold but I don't have that one.
Is it best to just bring the battery inside for the winter. About 4 months. Or leave he battery plugged in or just charge it now and then. Input and options please. THX!!

cactusjack
11-27-2011, 09:28 PM
If a heated garage is not in the budget, I suppose relocating to a warm climate isn't either? :lol:

glwilson
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
You can take a look at a member's site on the subject here... under "maintenance".

http://www.utahmotorcyclist.org/2011/11/how-to-winterize-motorcycle.html

Oh yeah... one more thing... pay no attention to CJ.:D

redjay
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I take the battery out of the bike and put the battery in the basement. I cant get to the bike in the winter without moving 2 or 3 feet of snow first.
I charge the battery once a month. Getting the battery out of a 1700 is much easier than on a 1600.

usranger74
11-27-2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19099

This will take you to a post on this site by MacMac. It is one of the best I have seen on how to winterize your Nomad.

Top Cat
11-27-2011, 09:42 PM
My garage is not heated and it gets pretty cold in there in the winter.
I leave the battery in the bike and hook it up to a $30 walmart Shumacker smart charger. Been doing it that way since bike was new in 2007. No problems so far.
I don't know why a charger would have to compensate for cold. My charger will charge when battery drops below a certain charge and stop charging when battery is full charged.

ramdam1
11-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. My wife likes CJs the best. Move to the warm weather all year. I think I will pull it into the basement alongside it's brother. The one from the 81 Goldwing. Thanks again!!

ringadingh
11-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I try to park it with a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change, thats it. I may put the battery on charge a couple times throughout the winter when Im in the garage.

cnc
11-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm a little more fanatical, so in addition to what has been said I also do the following. To prevent any rust on the cylinder wall from condensation I remove a rear and front spark plug, spray fogging oil down the hole and replace the plugs hit the kill switch and crank the engine over a few times to distribute the oil. I also take the weight off the suspension and tires by jacking the bike up for the winter

Top Cat
11-28-2011, 12:06 AM
How do you crank the engine with the kill switch :???::shrug:

cnc
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
How do you crank the engine with the kill switch :???::shrug:

Wise guy:ohno:, I hit the kill switch so the engine will not start when I crank it over to distribute the fogging oil.

Monkeyman
11-28-2011, 02:51 AM
What's fogging oil? Just oil or is it something special?

ringadingh
11-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Its a product you can use to coat the inside of the cylinder walls. You can spray it in the carb or throttle body until the motor stalls thus coating it thoroughly. I just squirt motor oil in the plug holes when I do that on some of my motors

cactusjack
11-28-2011, 09:11 AM

I used it to winterize my boat engine when I lived in Utah, it's a thick spray oil that coats the cylinders, intake manifold, etc. to prevent rust during the time the engine isn't being used.

cnc
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Just as the name implies, you can shoot it in the intake, or down the plug holes. I guess it is formulated to stick on the internal parts and coat them better. If you are having trouble finding a place that carries it, try an outboard motor dealer.

Monkeyman
11-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Hmmm....I'll have to look into that. We have a marine supply house next town over. I wasn't sure if it was an actual product or a way of using regular motor oil. Thanks for the info.

ringadingh
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
I only use it on my outboards, since they may sit a few years before being used. As far as my other motors go, I don't bother since they never sit mor than 3-4 months most times.

cnc
11-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Just depends where they are stored, dry heated location, not so bad, unheated garage or shed and you can see the sweat on a machine if the temp swings quickly from cold to warmer.

Top Cat
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Norm, I'm not trying to be a wise ass but I do not understand how you can crank the motor while the kill switch is engaged.
My bike will not even make a click with the kill switch engaged.:shrug:

Hacksaw
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Norm, I'm not trying to be a wise ass but I do not understand how you can crank the motor while the kill switch is engaged.
My bike will not even make a click with the kill switch engaged.:shrug:

yes, curious minds want to know

cnc
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Actually you are right TC, I was thinking of my snowmobiles when I wrote that. They will still crank when the kill switch is pushed.
Sorry for the confusion.

Top Cat
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Geeezzz Norm :ohno: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/images/icons/ornwink.gif

cnc
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Geeezzz Norm :ohno: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/images/icons/ornwink.gif

OK, OK, I'll take back the wise guy remark too, but I'm sure I may need it again in the future.:P

You can still spray oil in the plug holes and blip the starter a few times with out it starting.

usranger74
11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Pull the other two plug wires and hit the start button?? Will that work?

Top Cat
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Pull the other two plug wires and hit the start button?? Will that work?

That will work bu be sure to cover the plug holes or you will have fogging oil flying out.

glwilson
11-28-2011, 06:37 PM
What do we have here... the Three Stooges??!!!

All this poor guy wanted to know is how to best prep his bike for winter storage and all he gets is a bunch of ramblings and smart @ss answers!!!! Geez guys...:lmao:

ringadingh
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Just put it in the garage and don't overthink it too much.

Top Cat
11-28-2011, 07:57 PM

All this poor guy wanted to know is how to best prep his bike for winter storage and all he gets is a bunch of ramblings and smart @ss answers!!!! Geez guys...:lmao:

And just what are you , the forth stooge :yep:

glwilson
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
And just what are you , the forth stooge :yep:

I resemble that remark!:lmao:

cnc
11-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Ha, welcome aboard Mo!:lol:

ramdam1
11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
A lot of advice and as always a good laugh. Thanks to all...