PDA

View Full Version : Vaq lowering

Grump
10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Has anyone thought about lowering their Vaq? I am, I'm looking at the scootworks kit:

-> 1700 Classic/Voyager/Nomad - Custom Rear Shock pack & hardware to lower approximately 2"

It's not VAQ specific in the product callout, but I wonder if it'll work anyway?

Monkeyman
10-31-2011, 04:31 AM
I don't know about lowering the Vaquero (seems they're already lowered by the factory) but I'd like to lower my '07 Nomad a bit, too. Would be great unless you're really into the twisties.

crazygene49
10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a kit to lower my '07 from Scootworks. It lowered the rear 1.25 inches. The shocks are Progressive, adjustable for firness, but no air like the oem shocks. Haven't been able to find anything for the front yet.

azcruizer
10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Progressive Suspension makes both shocks and front springs to lower the Vaquero. You can find everything at http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=2011&makeID=41&modelID=1241

ponch
10-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Why? I can't imagine less suspension travel is a good thing, not to mention less clearance.

Monkeyman
11-01-2011, 04:34 AM
I would think suspension travel would vary depending on how you're bike's set up (solo v two up with a trunk?). If you have 300 pounds less on the bike, you would need less travel. (Or perhaps, I'm wrong.)

Clearance would depend on what you plan on doing with the bike. If you're big into the twisties, clearance might be an issue. If the only twisties you see are off ramps, I don't think it would matter as much.

ponch
11-01-2011, 06:55 AM
I would think suspension travel would vary depending on how you're bike's set up (solo v two up with a trunk?). If you have 300 pounds less on the bike, you would need less travel. (Or perhaps, I'm wrong.)

Clearance would depend on what you plan on doing with the bike. If you're big into the twisties, clearance might be an issue. If the only twisties you see are off ramps, I don't think it would matter as much.

You are ignoring spring rate. Compensation can be made by increasing the air pressure in the shocks, but this has it's consequences. Even so, to put it in realistic terms, I used to hammered on some bumps with my Nomad that are absolutely no consequence on the RT. The biggest difference is suspension travel and probably dampening quality as well. With the same bike, I can't imagine wanting less travel as the ride will suffer no matter what, all else being equal.

Monkeyman
11-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, I did say I could have been wrong. :) So what's with the Progressive lowering shocks available for other bikes? Would you need the exact same type of shock but slightly shorter in order to lower the bike and retain the same ride quality?

spanky57
06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I just had my 2012 Vaqureo lowerd. I bought the front kit on e-bay for $99.99 & the rear shocks Progressive non air type 12" for $207. also on e-bay. the dealer charged me 2hrs. This thing looks awesome. Rides great. I'm 5'2".now I can flatfoot it. Also, Harley rear shocks 12" will work.

sctrcks
06-29-2013, 07:51 PM
i put on a lower profile car tire tire. lowered the bike an inch with no suspension changes needed. 195/55/16 bridgestone eco tire. i scrape boards often and love the lower stance. i only ride solo and have stock shocks on setting #1 with no air.

spanky57
10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I lowered my Vaqureo, with 12" Progressive coil overs & the front with a progressive kit. But when I had a passenger on it , it sat to low. I had a hard time making any turns making my 4" cobras drag. So I went with 12 3/4" Showia air shocks on the rear. (Harley Bagger Shocks) .Now I can still flat foot & no dragging problems + it rides the best yet.

Old Bear
10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
I certainly understand the desire if the rider is short, but I'm not giving up clearance just for looks. I drag the floorboards enough already, and cringe at the thought of scrapping my Cobras!

Devin W
10-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I lowered my Vaqureo, with 12" Progressive coil overs & the front with a progressive kit. But when I had a passenger on it , it sat to low. I had a hard time making any turns making my 4" cobras drag. So I went with 12 3/4" Showia air shocks on the rear. (Harley Bagger Shocks) .Now I can still flat foot & no dragging problems + it rides the best yet.

Spanky - are those Showa shocks bolt on fitment? Do you have any other info?

Thanks!

gcsteve
10-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I lowered my 09 Nomad with progressive shocks. They have the same travel. They were a VTX model and need some washers but ride as good as stock. I do scrape my Vance and Hines all the time though.

spanky57
10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Devin. The shocks I used, were from e-bay w/lines for 39.99. But, I had to make the bushings because of difference of size.I ran the air lines under the seat just the stock location, but these had 2into 1 air nozzel. Still , all & all it was easy to do.

Devin W
10-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Devin. The shocks I used, were from e-bay w/lines for 39.99. But, I had to make the bushings because of difference of size.I ran the air lines under the seat just the stock location, but these had 2into 1 air nozzel. Still , all & all it was easy to do.

Cool - thanks for the info.

jesse d
11-04-2013, 03:42 PM
i have researched the shock lowering subject and found that lowering with progressive is the best way...also progressive makes a spring kit for the front. Im not sure if u want to drop the front. I hear more than not that they usually just use the shocks to drop the rear and are fine. Alos might want to be carefull using scootworks ......look at the scootworks ripoff thread...i dont hear alot of good about them..

Jesse D
2010 voyager

Rsweat49
11-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I used the 12 inch progressives to lower my 2011 Vaq. When lowered you will drag them every now and then.

Thanks

Roger

GKMMCrider
02-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Now that some time has passed since this last post. Is there anything new out there to lower a vaquero? The only thing I find is the progressive 430 shocks. I'd like to keep the air ride. Any suggestions other than leaving it stock and having my seat shaved?

Rsweat49
02-22-2014, 08:48 AM
I have thought about going with the Air Ride system that was on the customized Vaquero that Roaring Toyz used. It will let you adjust the suspension travel going down the road. This way when you come to a stop you can lower them, when riding raise them. Problem solved. They are expensive though.

Rsweat49

wolfman46
02-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Can you just lower the rear without having serious handling effects on the bike?

GKMMCrider
02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
I can't find a price on the setup from Roaring Toyz. I'm hoping they come out with a good cheap way to lower the back. I read on one forum there is a "spacer" at the top of the stock shock. But I don't even want to try and compress that spring. Sounds like a hurting just waiting to happen.

Boscoe
02-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Now that some time has passed since this last post. Is there anything new out there to lower a vaquero? The only thing I find is the progressive 430 shocks. I'd like to keep the air ride. Any suggestions other than leaving it stock and having my seat shaved?

Put my old lady on the pillion. That will lower it a bunch... :lmao:

Trrust32
02-25-2014, 07:32 AM
I talked to Brad at Roaring Toyz a month or two ago and he did say they are looking into making a kit but he didn't have any real time frame.. I would like to have some sort of air ride/lowering kit. Would be a lot safer than what I did.. I modified a harley shock mount kit.. Have not had any issues but would like something made for it specifically..

GKMMCrider
02-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I talked to Brad at Roaring Toyz a month or two ago and he did say they are looking into making a kit but he didn't have any real time frame.. I would like to have some sort of air ride/lowering kit. Would be a lot safer than what I did.. I modified a harley shock mount kit.. Have not had any issues but would like something made for it specifically..

What harley shock mount kit did you use and how much did it end up costing you? I'm curious how you modified it as well? Thanks for the help.

dhobbs74
02-25-2014, 01:56 PM
A buddy of mine has a Progressive Air Dragger system on his Vaquero. He can adjust to any height. The kit is around 1000 bucks though

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1017447_10201545494103865_1987675293_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1781958_10201528410956797_1122481902_n.jpg

GKMMCrider
02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
That looks bad ass! but I'm not trying to spend over 1k for it. There has to be a cheaper way. I read somewhere that there is a spacer at the top of the stock shock and if you remove it, it will lower the vaquero 1". Does anyone know any truth to this? I don't want to tear my bike apart to find out there is no spacer. And to add, how would you compress the spring without killing yourself or someone else. hahahahaha

Trrust32
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Wow that's almost a twin to mine... I am really interested in what he all had to do and what he all used to lower the rear...

dhobbs74
02-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Wow that's almost a twin to mine... I am really interested in what he all had to do and what he all used to lower the rear...

I'll contact him and ask him, mean while if you have a Facebook account just look up the name Ray Stokes and send him a message

element80
03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
the set screws on my v&h slip ons are gone, the pipes are scraped from just before the crossover all the way to the tips, my feelers are almost gone...need more clearance on this beast

rick6375
03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
That looks bad ass! but I'm not trying to spend over 1k for it. There has to be a cheaper way. I read somewhere that there is a spacer at the top of the stock shock and if you remove it, it will lower the vaquero 1". Does anyone know any truth to this? I don't want to tear my bike apart to find out there is no spacer. And to add, how would you compress the spring without killing yourself or someone else. hahahahaha
Read on another forum about the spacer being removed to lower about 1", but the drawback is you rick blowing out the shock by over compressinit, that happened to 1 guy, had to buy new shocks, and the shock oil coated the rear tire. Would not do this.