PDA

View Full Version : Old school safety clothes

oldbiker
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I have always wondered about the safety clothing for motorcycle riders. It's safe to be more visable right? Then why for decades has the choice for attire been BLACK jackets, chaps vests and boots? I'm not about to change it's just part of the life.

dantama
03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I think the biker movies from the 50's are responsible.

Pilots from WWII are credited with coming back and wearing their bomber jackets on their bikes and giving the look, but theirs were brown.

Evel Knievel's white leathers would stand out the best, the cape would help too ;) but I'm not going there.

flightdoc
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
bad boy / tough guy image. bad cowboys always wear black don't they??

oldbiker
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't picture myself riding down I-75 with a white cape flying behind me. Maybe in California, not in Georgia.

buckeye
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I think Dan's right about the WWII pilots. The black became popular because of the older "oil leaking" Harleys. They had to do so many repairs and got oil on their leathers which stained them "black", it was just easier to start with black so the stains wouldn't show. That's the way I heard it anyhow.

coacha
03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I can't picture myself riding down I-75 with a white cape flying behind me. Maybe in California, not in Georgia.

I don't think that wouldn't wash in my area of backwoods Florida.

ringadingh
03-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I think it just tradition, somethings are just better left alone, http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Yellow Jacket
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I reckon I'm at the age that I'm not too concerned about a particular image. I wear a bright yellow Nolan helmet and an Aerostich one-piece suit in Hi-viz yellow. Once in a while when I don't feel like putting on the Aerostich for a short run-about I will wear my black leather jacket.

mrfuni
03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
yea, at my age it's not about image but about staying alive. Bright yellow jacket, no black leather for me.

03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Leather was the fabric that gave the most protection for a long time.Maybe it still is. The old movies portrayed the biker (I consider my self an enthusiast) as a bad boy, rebel type.I think that is how the brown turned black. Anyway, now I have a bright yellow firstgear mesh jacket that really shows up. I would rather be alive and square than cool dead.

MarkG
03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Various leather sections were difficult to match for color, blemishes, etc. So the manufacturers dyed them black. At least that is what a couple of old family members told me. A quick search on the net seems to support their explanation.