PDA

View Full Version : Backfire

redjay
10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Has anyone experienced the engine spitting back under the right side intake cover when blipping the throttle when gearing down etc ? If so is there a cure ?

Grump
10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Has anyone experienced the engine spitting back under the right side intake cover when blipping the throttle when gearing down etc ? If so is there a cure ?

Yeah, don't blip the throttle. Big twins and respond best to throttle inputs which are appropriately slow.

Dave
10-26-2011, 01:45 AM
What's with throttle blipping? I'll never understand it. One of the guys I ride with is constantly doing it while stopped at lights. Is it a, "Hey look at me" thing?

Monkeyman
10-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Maybe redjays bike isn't idling right and he has to keep it running til he gets home to fix it?

redjay
10-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Throttle blipping is being misunderstood here or my explanation is wrong.
I am trying to describe a normal driving event. I dont blip the throttle at lights.
Nuff said.

dogleg
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I believe I have experienced what you are describing. Coming into a turn, slow down, close throttle, downshift, open throttle, POP through intake, and then acceleration. I had this happen once with the new bike that I chalked up to the borderline lean condition that these engines run at. A fuel processor is in my future which should keep this from reoccurring.

blowndodge
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
What's with throttle blipping? I'll never understand it. One of the guys I ride with is constantly doing it while stopped at lights. Is it a, "Hey look at me" thing?

You mean our other buddy Dave on the Victory?? LOL

redjay
10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Correct ! The issue with my Voyager is as dogleg describes.

cactusjack
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Some riders blip the throttle when down shifting to better match the speed of the engine and tranny. It prevents that "lurch" that can happen when downshifting, especially without a slipper clutch.

Dave
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
You mean our other buddy Dave on the Victory?? LOL

No, the one that use to ride with a Nomad.

ponch
10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Some riders blip the throttle when down shifting to better match the speed of the engine and tranny. It prevents that "lurch" that can happen when downshifting, especially without a slipper clutch.

It's practically mandatory on my bike as it has a dry clutch.