PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Nomad

dbrobo
10-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a 2009 Nomad. It has very low mileage and seems to be priced right. However, I have been on a Goldwing since 2001 having sold my second one in June of this year. Thought I might try something different this time (not to mention, less bucks) and I love the looks of the Nomad. With that said I have seen posts on other forums, which are not very complementary of Nomads as of late. The major concern seems to be the belt noise and need for adjustment and the noise from the transmission. I must say there was never an issue on the GW with the shaft drive and I don't understand metrics (and HD) switch to belts. Other complaints are excessive engine heat and flimsy bags. I know there is going to be more heat sitting on top of a v-twin, but would I be miserable on a Nomad? I have seen several posts on GW forums from riders, who said that if they had to have something other than a GW it would definitely be the Nomad.

All input is welcome.

julie
11-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a 2009 nomad, I have enjoyed it. but I am Still getting use to it. They had a recall on the heat problem, they put heat shields on. It is so much better, still gets hot but tons better. Still clunks when you shift, I don't know why, they say it is normal?? Idaho (on this site) put a mustang seat and phat II risers on his - His is not a 2009. I am going to check on those for mine. the mustang seat sets you down and back more, at least on his any way.. Julie

jp58
11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I have the 2011 nomad. The shifting is noisey but you get use to it. I am trying full synthetic oil for next years riding. suposed to quiet it down alittle. My trans is quiet. The belt whines at times but better after i loosened it abit. All in all the bike rides great and is a real pleasure rideing on the freeway and the back roads.

redjay
11-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I tried synthetic in my 2010 Voyager, made no difference to the transmission issues.
It did make a difference with the Nomad.

racinfan101
11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I have a 2010 Nomad and love it, but it does put out some heat, and is clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd, very little belt noise on mine. Heat is only ever bothersome for me in city riding on 90 plus degree days. Have not got a chance to ride a GW so dont know how it would compare.

usranger74
11-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Drop back to a 2008 Nomad and get shaft dive. Just a thought.

twowheeladdict
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a 2009 Nomad. It has very low mileage and seems to be priced right. However, I have been on a Goldwing since 2001 having sold my second one in June of this year. Thought I might try something different this time (not to mention, less bucks) and I love the looks of the Nomad. With that said I have seen posts on other forums, which are not very complementary of Nomads as of late. The major concern seems to be the belt noise and need for adjustment and the noise from the transmission. I must say there was never an issue on the GW with the shaft drive and I don't understand metrics (and HD) switch to belts. Other complaints are excessive engine heat and flimsy bags. I know there is going to be more heat sitting on top of a v-twin, but would I be miserable on a Nomad? I have seen several posts on GW forums from riders, who said that if they had to have something other than a GW it would definitely be the Nomad.

All input is welcome.

Supposedly, belts more efficiently transfer energy to the rear wheel than a shaft drive. Supposedly the rear of the bike can be narrower with the belt than with the shaft.

If you are super comfortable with the stock riding position on the 1800 wing you may or may not be comfortable on the Nomad.

Bags are not flimsy, just flexible. Better than being brittle like the older plastics.

I have read that the wings are quite hot as well. Plus heat tolerance is a personal thing. During the summer months the top of my legs actually get warmer from the sun than the inside of my legs from the engine. Of course the exception is if I get caught in a traffic jam and the fan comes on.

I will be interested to see what the new KAMS system does for the 2012 Voyager, and whether it can economically be adapted to earlier models, as well as the Vaquero and Nomad.

Jesus Freak
11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I have an 09 and I'm very happy.... My belt was pretty whiny when it was new and the dealer said that it was normal. I new better and loosened it off just and little and no more belt noise. The trany was noisy for the first 5,000 miles in 3rd gear at 30 mph, but almost completly gone now. Shifting has a pretty good clunk compared to your GW, however it's not that bad and you get used to it. There are some vibration noises from the chrome covers in the back. I took all mine off and put back together with some silicone, problem solved in a couple of hours. I would by the same bike if I had it to do over.

Top Cat
11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Drop back to a 2008 Nomad and get shaft dive. Just a thought.

+1 that is what I'm doing when I have to replace my 2007 with 65,000 miles on it. Going to run it one more year then I'm going to look for a 2008 with low mileage.
I like shaft drive better than chain or belt.

jestephens
11-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Regarding heat, once I replaced the OE mufflers, by all accounts my 1700 seemed much cooler.
The stock exhaust is too restrictive. Even a baffelectomy cooled it down. Unleashed some real power too

aldridgekennedy
11-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I have a 2010 Nomad. The belt has always been as quiet as could be. I find it responsive getting power to the wheel.

Bags are sturdy as well.

As to the tranny. Yes it can clunk from 1 to 2. 2-6 not bad at all. I had a 1994 750 nighthawk that was about the same.

As to heat.....never a problem. My buddies on HD ultra classics realy suffer on hot days.

ridgeman06
12-02-2011, 06:56 AM
As a former owner of a newly purchased 03 GL1800A and two Valks, I can honestly say that I am happier with my 2010 Nomad. I finally got away from the boxer engines and their crampy feel to a v-twin. I only wished that I did the switch years ago. I could have saved alot of money. I love the feel of the twin, and the ability to move my feet around on the boards is a huge improvement. Compared to the Valks, heat is no worse. I run Mobil racing 4t oil, and the shifting is not bad at all.
I am very happy with the Nomads' power and the overdrive is a plus on the highway.
I had the ECU recall done so the stalling issue is fixed too.
I do still wish I could have kept my Valkyrie though. I would have liked to have kept it for a second bike for certain occasions, but I could not afford to do so.
I really don't miss the Wing, except only on a very cold morning.
Hope this helps, Eric

Monkeyman
12-02-2011, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=twowheeladdict;382622]Supposedly the rear of the bike can be narrower with the belt than with the shaft.[QUOTE]

Meh. If ya want a skinny bike, buy a Ninja. :D You know what they say...it's all about the width. :lol: