PDA

View Full Version : Kenda Kruz Tires

paddyo
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I put Kenda Kruz K673 tires on my 09 Nomad this weekend--130/90 16 on the front and 160/80 16 on the rear. The Bridgestone Exedra's were used up at 10,500 miles. The back was bald and the front was down to the wear bars. I had put Kenda's on prior to the Exedras but got a nail in the front and the rear in the same week. I did not have a patch kit at the time, my tire sealant did not work (Ride On) and the dealer would not patch the tires. I now have a different tire sealant (True Goo) and the Stop-n-Go plug kit so I should be good to go. Hope to double the mileage with the Kenda's.

Jared
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Double? Not likely. I've never seen a motorcycle tire last 21K miles on these big cruisers. 10.5K miles sound like some decent mileage out of your stones.

paddyo
10-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Double? Not likely. I've never seen a motorcycle tire last 21K miles on these big cruisers. 10.5K miles sound like some decent mileage out of your stones.

On my previous bike, a Suzuki Boulevard C50, I got 33,000 out of the front and 22,000 out of the rear. I realize the Nomad is a heavier bike, so it will be interesting to see how the tires do. Consider this an experiment. Since I am a daily rider, I will give updates on tread wear every so often.

AlabamaNomadRider
10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Good luck with the new tires. I managed almost 10,000 on the rear OEM and about 11,000 on the front OEM. I do expect to get close to 20,000 out of my present tires. I have over 7,000 on the rear with no noticeable wear and over 5,000 on the front. Both still look new. Dunlop makes a good tire.

paddyo
10-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Good luck with the new tires. I managed almost 10,000 on the rear OEM and about 11,000 on the front OEM. I do expect to get close to 20,000 out of my present tires. I have over 7,000 on the rear with no noticeable wear and over 5,000 on the front. Both still look new. Dunlop makes a good tire.

Which Dunlop are you running?

AlabamaNomadRider
10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I have the Dunlop Elite 3's. I will try and take a picture of both tires and post so you can see what the tread looks like. Will also give the exact mileage I have on each tire. I am really impressed with their performance so far.

usranger74
10-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I put Kenda Kruz K673 tires on my 09 Nomad this weekend--130/90 16 on the front and 160/80 16 on the rear. The Bridgestone Exedra's were used up at 10,500 miles. The back was bald and the front was down to the wear bars. I had put Kenda's on prior to the Exedras but got a nail in the front and the rear in the same week. I did not have a patch kit at the time, my tire sealant did not work (Ride On) and the dealer would not patch the tires. I now have a different tire sealant (True Goo) and the Stop-n-Go plug kit so I should be good to go. Hope to double the mileage with the Kenda's.

http://truegoo.com/ - Do you ride/run with this in your tires or to you apply it when you get a flat? I have not heard of the product before but found site interesting.

paddyo
10-17-2011, 04:23 AM
http://truegoo.com/ - Do you ride/run with this in your tires or to you apply it when you get a flat? I have not heard of the product before but found site interesting.

Yes, that is the stuff I am using. I put it in the tire before getting a flat. I used in the previous tires and have put in the Kendas. Cannot say how well it works since I have not picked up any sharp, pointy passengers yet. Cannot tell that it is there while riding. I consider it to be cheap insurance.

I used to use Simonize tire sealant, but it is no longer being made. On my previous bike, which had spoke wheels and tubes, it sealed a puncture I got somewhere on my way home from work. I did not know I had gotten a puncture till the next morning when I went to leave and the rear end was all wonky. Put it on the lift and there was the nail. For grins, I rotated the nail to the bottom and aired up the tire. When I got home that evening, the tire had not lost any pressure. Pretty amazing for a tubed tire.

paddyo
01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
UPDATE 1/2/12
I have put 5600 miles on the tires. The front has 2.5 mm out of 4 mm left and the rear has 6.3 mm out of 9.3 mm left. Assuming 1 mm of tread for each tire before replacing them, this means 50% (1.5/3) of the front tread has been used and 36% (3/8.3) of the rear tread has been used. Assuming similar wear over the life of the tires, I should get about 11,200 miles out of the front (5600/.5) and about 15,555 miles out of the rear (5600/.36). While not car tire distances, they are better than the Bridgestones and much cheaper than them or any other tire. I have had no problems with the handling of these tires and I ride regardless of weather.

I have been running 34 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. I arrived at these pressures using the 10% rule. Measure the pressure of the tires when they are cold. Ride for about 30 minutes at highway speeds and then measure the tire pressure. If the pressure has increased by 10%, then the cold pressure is the correct tire pressure. If the tire pressure has increased by more than 10%, then the cold tire pressure is too low and needs to be increased. If the tire pressure has increased by less than 10%, then the cold tire is too high and needs to be decreased.

Top Cat
01-03-2012, 12:13 AM
So you are saying you will get LESS mileage out of the front tire?
Why would that be? I have always gotten about twice the mileage from my front tires as I get out of the back tire.

blowndodge
01-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Is that when less is more Tim???

cactusjack
01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Yes, that is the stuff I am using. I put it in the tire before getting a flat. I used in the previous tires and have put in the Kendas. Cannot say how well it works since I have not picked up any sharp, pointy passengers yet. Cannot tell that it is there while riding. I consider it to be cheap insurance.

I used to use Simonize tire sealant, but it is no longer being made. On my previous bike, which had spoke wheels and tubes, it sealed a puncture I got somewhere on my way home from work. I did not know I had gotten a puncture till the next morning when I went to leave and the rear end was all wonky. Put it on the lift and there was the nail. For grins, I rotated the nail to the bottom and aired up the tire. When I got home that evening, the tire had not lost any pressure. Pretty amazing for a tubed tire.

I hope you mount your own tires, otherwise the tire guys at the shop would have you on their s**tlist for making them change tires with all that runny goop in them.

Dave
01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I have the Dunlop Elite 3's. I will try and take a picture of both tires and post so you can see what the tread looks like. Will also give the exact mileage I have on each tire. I am really impressed with their performance so far.

I had the Elite 3's on my Goldwing. They are a great tire. I wish they made them to fit my Ultra.

Top Cat
01-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Elite 3's were the noisiest tires I ever ran on my Nomad.
I couldn't wait to wear them out and get some Cobras.