PDA

View Full Version : New Safety Board

trip
08-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Some have asked for it. So, here is a board designed to talk about riding, riding safety, techniques and anything related to "The Ride".

Trip

08-23-2007, 04:35 AM
I have 2 friends that are relatively new to riding.... I've coaxed both to take the MSF riding class........ neither one understood about feathering the clutch or counter steering.... not sure how they were riding, because without those 2 things I'd be in big trouble....

socwkbiker
08-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Music or no music...

Do you listen to music when you are riding and what method do you use? I use an mp3 with these new earphones I found that fit inside the ear and act as an earplug while allowing me to listen at lower volume levels. They are very comfortable and I do notice a considerable decrease in noise levels. What about y'all?

08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I sing to myself. :)

No offense intended to any singers out there.

flightdoc
08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I do listen to music. I have a small am/fm radio and use ear buds. Taking the MSF course(s) is a great thing to do. I am a MFS rider coach and have been teaching those classes for 4 years now for the State of NH. I had been riding for 20 years before taking the class and could not believe some of the things I learned. What's more scary is the fact, I wasn't doing alot of the techniques I learned all that time!! If anyone has questions I might help with don't hesitate to ask.

vinnie

socwkbiker
08-23-2007, 09:21 AM
How do I complete a successful u-turn and not spill the cup of beer I have for Nico?

flightdoc
08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
easy........turn your head!!

08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Use a straw. :)

davidjones1
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Trip, great page a lot of good information. I do have a ? for the group. how is it in your states about the requirement insurance and licensing I spoken with so many young riders that have none of these and have not even heard about the great MSF schools, I think this adds to the amount of wrecks we hear about far to often, ride safe.

dharris
08-24-2007, 01:15 AM
In Va ya gotta have the insurance and the school or pass the DMV riding test. A lot of the young sport bike riders cannot afford the insurance sooo they ride without..and since the cops normally cant catch em they dont worry about the License.....and when they run they at time crash.......

flightdoc
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
In NH you do not need insurance or helmet. Do need a licence. A law came into effect this year stating:If you attempt to pass the dmv riding test twice and fail it twice then you must take the MSF class that I teach for the state. I think it was a good move. Hopefully everyone will have to take the class one day to get the endorsement on their lic.

socwkbiker
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I would rather see everyone required to take MSF classes since you can learn so much.

davidjones1
08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Here in Tenn you have to have these only after the fact [ticket-crash] I agree socwkbiker it should be mandatory before you buy or can register the bike to take the class, also it would be good for the younger group if it were offered as a class in high school along with driver ed class.

08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
In Cali..... if you can pass the written and the driving DMV test you're in. The driving part is difficult........ through cones and then small tight circles... both ways.... put your foot down once you fail.

If you just take and pass the written, you get your permit which allows you to ride without a passenger, not on the freeway, and not after dark.

With the permit you can take the MSF class, and once passing, you can present that certificate of completion to the DMV and receive your license.

blowndodge
08-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I have 2 friends that are relatively new to riding.... I've coaxed both to take the MSF riding class........ neither one understood about feathering the clutch or counter steering.... not sure how they were riding, because without those 2 things I'd be in big trouble....

<marquee>Oops! ah,,,, make that 3 things!!! </marquee>

dogdoc
08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
In TX you can take the driving school course which is great or you can study the book and take the written test and pass. Then you take the actual driving test which is real driving on the streets no cones. fairly easy.

Doc

08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
#3...... uh...something about the rubber side and the shiney side?

<marquee> ??? ??? ???</marquee>

flightdoc
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I think most riders do most things instinctively. Unfortunately, that, at times, is exactly the wrong thing to do.
My best students are those of you that have ridden dirt bikes when younger.

Todd
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
In NC you can take the written test and the road test, much like someone described in CA around the cones in a parking lot and dont put your foot down or you fail, and you can get your full license. The road tests includes slow ride, serpentine around the cones, fast start and stop, signaling etc. Its not easy.

If you take the MSF course you do not need to do the road test, just the written.

You can get a provisional (no passenger) license by just passing the written.

09-01-2007, 06:11 AM
If you move into NC with an endorsement from another state, you take the written test and you get your endorsement for NC. NC makes you take the written test for a regular license as well. It seems to me, if you can drive in one state, why can't NC just transfer everything over.

dharris
09-01-2007, 06:45 AM
To them it justifies taking your $$...........

dogdoc
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Amen, another gov't rip off.

dui546
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
In Va...A lot of the young sport bike riders cannot afford the insurance sooo they ride without..and since the cops normally cant catch em they dont worry about the License.....and when they run they at time crash.......

We have a high concentration of military in our area. Sport bike riding is a huge trend with these guys and gals ranging from beginners to highly skilled riders. About 1/3 never get a motorcycle license because they are licensed in other states and do not have the time to do it correctly. Needless to say, they never ride their motorcycles on the military bases because they have strict requirements to get base passes. YOU are right...many do not carry insurance because of the high cost. AND...another trend they have...is to install there license plate in the wheel well area of the motorcycle so that people cannot read or get their license plate number. Many of them crash and are either seriously disabled for life or they are DRT - Dead Right There. Regardless, it is a big problem for the military because they have been losing more sailors and soldiers to sport bike accidents than any other off duty incidents.

I am a member of a joint task board that addresses common problems and solutions and the military has asked us to take aggressive enforcement action on their people in order to prevent off duty injuries/death. It is there version of tough love because when they get caught riding without a m/c license or no insurance the military gets them for disobeying orders of compliance. It is a huge challenge.

lw
11-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Music or no music...

Do you listen to music when you are riding and what method do you use? I use an mp3 with these new earphones I found that fit inside the ear and act as an earplug while allowing me to listen at lower volume levels. They are very comfortable and I do notice a considerable decrease in noise levels. What about y'all?

When traveling I listen to FM/AM radio via a walkman with a pair of JVC earplugs. The ends are a plastic coated foam so they are form fitting and I also like that I can keep the volume lower so as to be able to "pull to the right, for sirens and lights".

rflnomad
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Music? No.
I ride to escape. I want to hear nothing but the bike, wind, birds etc.
I even put the cell phone in the bags so if someone calls I don't hear it.

ds06nomad
11-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Music? No.
I ride to escape. I want to hear nothing but the bike, wind, birds etc.
I even put the cell phone in the bags so if someone calls I don't hear it.

+1 with rflnomad. Riding is my joy, my pleasure, my therapy. "We don't need no stinkin cell phones!" In the bag AND shut off to boot. I'll call 'em back if it's important, but at this time, riding takes precendence. Too bad, so sad.... http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

I do sing to myself though. I wonder what the cagers think when they see my hands, fingers and feet tapping away as I ride? Then again, who cares what the cagers think!!!