PDA

View Full Version : 1700 Fairing

Netnorske
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Has anyone put a batwing fairing on a new 1700 Nomad? If so, what brand did you go with?

I'm not sure I like the frame-mounted one on the Voyager and a guy recently told me that in the rain, water pours in via those little cut-outs on both sides of the Voyager fairing. Don't know if that is true or not....just sayin'.

I don't have a 1700 Nomad, but if I end up with one down the road...I would want to put a fairing on it...:tup:

nomadtom69
09-21-2011, 08:40 PM
If I was guessing as many as Reckless has sold to the other Nomad owners if he had a 1700 nomad there to get a pattern off of for the mounts he would have them.

cactusjack
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Personally, I'd rather have the frame-mounted Voyager/Vaquero fairing than a batwing. They tend to handle better. Not sure what little cutouts you're referring to? The storage bins?

Sin City Stan
09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
If I was guessing as many as Reckless has sold to the other Nomad owners if he had a 1700 nomad there to get a pattern off of for the mounts he would have them.

Reckless has been promising a nomad 1700 fairing for two years. I have the emails. :-(

Jared
09-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Personally, I'd rather have the frame-mounted Voyager/Vaquero fairing than a batwing. They tend to handle better. Not sure what little cutouts you're referring to? The storage bins?

+1 The aftermarket fairings look nice, but they are still aftermarket and not nearly as nice of a finish as the OEM fairings.

Supposedly the frame mounted fairing are easier to turn, but I tend to question if they really make much of a difference?

cactusjack
09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
+1 The aftermarket fairings look nice, but they are still aftermarket and not nearly as nice of a finish as the OEM fairings.

Supposedly the frame mounted fairing are easier to turn, but I tend to question if they really make much of a difference?

Because the weight is carried to the frame, including the wind pressure exerted on the fairing while moving, the forks aren't supporting all the weight. I know this is true for the HD Road Glide, and the sharknose shape is more aerodynamic than a batwing.

Also, buying a bike with a factory fairing is much better than adding an aftermarket fairing because of the integrated sound system controls on the handlebars, gauges, etc. In some cases, those can be added, but it's a lot of extra work and expense. Having done both, I much prefer the factory fairing.

Jared
09-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Because the weight is carried to the frame, including the wind pressure exerted on the fairing while moving, the forks aren't supporting all the weight. I know this is true for the HD Road Glide, and the sharknose shape is more aerodynamic than a batwing.

Also, buying a bike with a factory fairing is much better than adding an aftermarket fairing because of the integrated sound system controls on the handlebars, gauges, etc. In some cases, those can be added, but it's a lot of extra work and expense. Having done both, I much prefer the factory fairing.

Do you think if your batwing fairing could somehow be frame mounted, it would make that big of a difference? Even in the most aggressive corners, scraping pegs, my bars are barely angled. At slow speeds, sure the angle is a bit more.... I've heard the wind pressure argument, but it seems illogical to me. The think the shark-nose fairing mostly handles better because of it's aerodynamic shape.

cactusjack
09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Do you think if your batwing fairing could somehow be frame mounted, it would make that big of a difference? Even in the most aggressive corners, scraping pegs, my bars are barely angled. At slow speeds, sure the angle is a bit more.... I've heard the wind pressure argument, but it seems illogical to me. The think the shark-nose fairing mostly handles better because of it's aerodynamic shape.

I know I could have bought a RG Custom instead of my Ultra, I just always wanted an Ultra. A frame mounted fairing gets the unsprung weight off the forks and carries it to the frame. A huge factor of the difference in the two is the better aerodynamics of the sharknose.

cocheese72
09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I have rode them all and I would go with the frame mount. Road Glide, Goldwing, Vaquero, Voyager, Vision all run them. I want the forks to be a light as they can. And yes, definitely OEM over aftermarket.

ringadingh
09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
The Ultra classic and the Road Glides are very similar bikes except for the fairings. The Road Glide is a much better handling bike from what my pals have told me. Personally I still like the look of the Ultra's more but both are nice bikes.

replay13
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Has anyone put a batwing fairing on a new 1700 Nomad? If so, what brand did you go with?

I'm not sure I like the frame-mounted one on the Voyager and a guy recently told me that in the rain, water pours in via those little cut-outs on both sides of the Voyager fairing. Don't know if that is true or not....just sayin'.

I don't have a 1700 Nomad, but if I end up with one down the road...I would want to put a fairing on it...:tup:

Just my opinion. I have a 1700 Nomad and they have a pretty quick steering. I think they changed the steering head angle for the 1700s. Even with the big windshield attached to the forks gusting wind can move you around more then any other bike I've owned. I would think everything mounted to the frame would be better.
James

sburpee
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Guy who told you that rain comes in the louvers is misinformed I have a Vaquero and rode it from Idaho to Missouri and back in May, rain, cold, wind no problem, front mounted fairing a God send. Sound system rocks, automatic volume control as speed changes, but 16 inch windshield a must. I had a Valkyrie Interstate before, hard to handle in strong winds, frame mounted fairing much better

emehlig
09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Ill be getting my faring sometime next week. Ill post pictures and details once I get it. Its for my 2009 Nomad

phill
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I put a fairing on 2010 1700 love it, good sounding stero..didn't bother the handling at all. got it from wide open custom.com

emehlig
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I finally got the Fairing Check out my profile pictures.

VulcanE
10-01-2011, 02:42 PM

emehlig, that does look sharp!, hard to beat the quality of the Premeux. :tup:

ray2
10-01-2011, 02:48 PM

that does look nice.

Jared
10-02-2011, 12:35 AM
We have a member here with a batwing on their 1700 Nomad. Here ya go: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/album.php?albumid=78&pictureid=215&commentid=4#picturecomment4

Chili
10-03-2011, 12:22 AM
A frame mounted fairing gets the unsprung weight off the forks and carries it to the frame.

I'm no engineer but based on my limited knowledge I'd believe a batwing on the forks is still sprung weight, not unsprung? The batwing is mounted to the fork tubes which ride on the front springs.

I've been hoping to get a chance to try a RG Ultra to compare the handling of the two styles.

Monkeyman
10-11-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't know about sprung and unsprung weight but I've ridden both a Roadie and an Electra Glide of similar years. The EG handled better in the twisties while the Roadie was a better distance bike. I think the Roadie fairing weighs more so that must make some sort of difference.

Someone needs to find a way to mount a Voyager/Vaquero fairing to the 1500/1600.

heath3n
03-31-2012, 07:00 PM

Looks great!

redjay
03-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Chili. A batwing fairing mounted to a Nomad mounts on the triple tree uppers and lowers, not to the forks themselves. Therefore part of the frame structure ?

rickyboy
04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Chili. A batwing fairing mounted to a Nomad mounts on the triple tree uppers and lowers, not to the forks themselves. Therefore part of the frame structure ?
EDIT: I should say that it may be mounted to the lower T.T.but nothing at the top ....now I have to go and look. I just had the dairing off ......but do you think I can recall? ahhh NO !

Maybe I have this messed up but my HD fairing is mounted {to my Nomad} on the sides of the forks. But getting back to "netnorski" and his orig. thoughts,.... I'd go with the frame mounted any time Kris. I've heard nothing but good stuff on frame mounted, and nothing about this water/ wind coing in on a Voyager.