PDA

View Full Version : Voyager lowers & trunk

GIBBY
08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I am considering buying a 2010 Voyager and am wondering about the ease (or not) of removing the hard lowers and the trunk. Also, is anyone running other than stock tire size on the rear? As usual this has probably been discussed but having a 1500 Nomad I have not stayed current on the Voyager board. Thanks in advance.

jestephens
08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I haven't read any reports of that, but rest assured, there are about a million prospective buyers for that trunk!
;) ;) ;)
You might start handing out numbers for right-of-refusal. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

bigsid1
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Gibby, if you goto www.vulcanforums.com (http://www.vulcanforums.com) you will find info on both subject under the 1700 forum.

Mike

GIBBY
08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey Jay, I do not plan on selling anything that may be taken off. I like riding without the trunk and only installing it for trips. The lowers would be taken off for the hot summer months :)
Thanks for the link Mike.

gv550
08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a 2009 Voyager and have modified the the trunk to make it quick-release. This was not an easy nor inexpensive mod, but well worth it for me. See pictures on VROC, member profile #17676, Voyaquero folder.
The lowers are easily removed by simply removing the 2 bolts that hold each engine guard to the frame. They can also be removed leaving the guards on the bike but much more work.

Garry

GIBBY
08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Garry, that is the info. I was looking for.

highwayman2011
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
The lowers do open and make a big difference from closed. Doesn't seem worth the effort to take them off.

ringadingh
08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
I had the lowers on my Nomad, and never found them uncomfortable enough to considor removing. And they're really nice in the rain.

doctorgski
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm running a 180/65-16 Dunlop American Elite on the rear of my 2011 Voyager ABS. Really like it.

rewindgy
09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
So Gibby, how do you like the Cross Country Tourer? Can you give an un-baised opinion? Likes and dis-likes. Gas mileage, etc. Thanks: Ed

ponch
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM
So Gibby, how do you like the Cross Country Tourer? Can you give an un-baised opinion? Likes and dis-likes. Gas mileage, etc. Thanks: Ed

I guess he skipped the voyager exercise.

GIBBY
09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
The Cross Country Tour is ergonomically perfect for me. I am 6', 235 lbs. with a 33 in inseam. Fit and finish is very, very good. Paint is excellent. Chrome is also excellent. Many parts that are plastic on the Nomad or Voyager are chrome plated steel. Wheelbase is the same as the Voyager and the weight is very similar. Power is about the same as the Voyager, but the transmission is a bit louder up through 3rd gear. It also has the neutral finder. The controls are intuitive, even the horn button is where it should be:-) The cruise control works flawlessly and it also has 4 way hazard flashers. The stock stereo system is kickass and I sprung for the XM Radio option, which is invisible. The gauges are large, white faceplates with chrome trim and blue backlit. They consist of a speedo, tach, fuel gauge and voltmeter.The plastic saddlebags and trunk are very well made and solid. They close very easily and are lockable. The saddlebags are secured with dzus fasteners and require no tools for removal. The trunk is also easily removed but does require the removal of the left side cover and the left saddlebag and the removal of two 10mm screws. The trunk with the mount is very heavy and is not designed to sit flat on a table or the floor. I used a bucket turned upside down to prop up the back. The hard lower are awesome. I rode in a heavy downpour on Saturday on my way to LaCrosse and my feet were nice and dry. They also have easy to operate large vents. The engine is a bit noisy but I became acclimated very quickly. The "Power Band" is between 3000 & 4000 rpm and cruises very nice in that range. 6th gear is recommended only above 65 mph. Now the really good part. The handling is far superior to the Nomad or the Voyager and on par with the HD touring bikes. The seat is VERY comfortable. With its low seat height and stretched out seating position I felt very relaxed and suffered no riding fatigue after 9 hours in the saddle. The fairing with its barn door size windshield provides a buffet free ride. That is right, zero head buffeting. My only real complaint is the heat generated by the engine. The day that I picked it up it was 90 degrees outside and I was very warm. Opening the lower vents and turning the wind wings on the fairing did help some. It does seem to be getting better or I am getting used to it. I have not checked the mileage yet, only has 1300 miles on her. Am I happy with this motorcycle? YES.

ponch
09-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I would think it would have more power than the HD or the Voyager, from what I have read. I'll have to ry one some day, but the local dealer is the same as where I bought my BMW and I don't like them. They are great if you bought a John Deere farm implement, but bikes take second place at best and they don't have good customer service. In effect, that means I have to go to another dealer for warranty work/service. In the case of the beemer, that is a 120 mile ride. The next closest Victory dealer is probably 80 miles. To me this is ridiculous. So where did you buy the Cross Country?

GIBBY
09-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I bought mine at Bristow's in St. Cloud, MN, 90 miles from home. I have a dealer 5 miles from home but they did not have a black one. I will however go to them for service and warranty work. Polaris is a MN Company and we have many dealers scattered throughout the state. I did give some thought to the lack of dealers nationwide for service/problems when traveling. I wanted a V-Twin touring bike so my options were very limited. I loved my Nomad and it was not an easy decision to change brands. I am not one of those people that thinks that his brand is the only brand, I like ALL motorcycles and most outdoor recreational machines. I grew up riding Polaris snowmobiles and am very familiar with the Company.

ponch
09-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I bought mine at Bristow's in St. Cloud, MN, 90 miles from home. I have a dealer 5 miles from home but they did not have a black one. I will however go to them for service and warranty work. Polaris is a MN Company and we have many dealers scattered throughout the state. I did give some thought to the lack of dealers nationwide for service/problems when traveling. I wanted a V-Twin touring bike so my options were very limited. I loved my Nomad and it was not an easy decision to change brands. I am not one of those people that thinks that his brand is the only brand, I like ALL motorcycles and most outdoor recreational machines. I grew up riding Polaris snowmobiles and am very familiar with the Company.

Iowa is getting more Victory dealers, so I expect it to get better, but there's also quality. I don't know what Victory requires of dealers in terms of how the techs are qualified. With the big 4, I think it varies a lot. I am sure the Victory is a good bike, but I wouldn't buy one from the local guy or go there for the service if I got one. The thing is, I don't fancy travelling 80 or 120 miles either. The big killer on the BMW is the dealer extortion light. It has a service indicator that comes on when the predefined service interval is reached. It can only be turned off by the dealer or if I by a $300 scan tool. This can be an impediment if I ever want to sell or trade the bike. The computer stuff on it is proprietary too. No OBD II. The business model for BMW is that they want the dealer to do everything for the bike. I don't agree with it.

cactusjack
09-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Iowa is getting more Victory dealers, so I expect it to get better, but there's also quality. I don't know what Victory requires of dealers in terms of how the techs are qualified. With the big 4, I think it varies a lot. I am sure the Victory is a good bike, but I wouldn't buy one from the local guy or go there for the service if I got one. The thing is, I don't fancy travelling 80 or 120 miles either. The big killer on the BMW is the dealer extortion light. It has a service indicator that comes on when the predefined service interval is reached. It can only be turned off by the dealer or if I by a $300 scan tool. This can be an impediment if I ever want to sell or trade the bike. The computer stuff on it is proprietary too. No OBD II. The business model for BMW is that they want the dealer to do everything for the bike. I don't agree with it.

I'd think spending $300 for a scan tool would probably pay for itself if it saved you 1, maybe 2 visits to the dealer extortion center?

The reasons stated in your post is a good argument for not owning a piece of "fine teutonic engineering".

GIBBY
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Finding a good tech is difficult at best. My local Kawasaki dealer is absolutely clueless. The local Honda/Victory dealer sends their techs to school so they are somewhat familiar with what they are working on. The dealership where I bought my bike has a great tech, but it is 90 miles away. I may have to bite the bullet and go there. I think that Victory has hit a home run with the Cross Country Tour and if it becomes as popular as I think it will they may have to add dealers, which is usually a good thing.

rewindgy
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your observations! I am still wondering about the gas mileage? I rode the Vaquero and teh Voyager and then the CCT and I thought the Victory had better power than the first 2. Just my opinion. the Vaquero was better than the Voyager but still didn't seem to pull as hard accelerating than the CCT. I thought is was kinda hot too ( it was 96 F) out that day and I didn't have the lowers set right ( so they told me?) but it wasn't any hotter than my Nomad with the Premuix lowers.
Got to wait and seee what they cost up here in Canuck land! Then will decide which way I may go.

ponch
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

I'd think spending $300 for a scan tool would probably pay for itself if it saved you 1, maybe 2 visits to the dealer extortion center?

The reasons stated in your post is a good argument for not owning a piece of "fine teutonic engineering".

A visit to the dealer will be at least $300. It was that for the first service. They don't get cheaper. But like BD, I am a cheap bastard. In fact, the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider and BMW stands for bring more wampum. As far as the owning the device, yes it could come in handy if it is needed, but hopefully it wouldn't. Unlike my Suburban, I can't just turn it off. Does HD have anything like that (Service Indicator light)?

ponch
09-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I might agree. The scan tool is limited to 10 VINs. Some clubs go in on one. I asked my local club and no one responded, so...I'll have to buy one or go to the dealer. As Trossco said, owning the BMW is like dating a girl that has no gag reflex, but she loves diamonds. Pretty much.

I will say that the local HD dealers really push a maintenance program that is something like $3500 for 4 years. That is tires once a year and lubricant changes. It's a little rich. The Kawasaki dealer where I bought my Nomad was ok. Never any issues, but I never had to deal with them much on warranty stuff (coolant pipe leak on the front head) and not at all on service. At least with HD, there are plenty of dealers to go around. I think there are 22 in Iowa alone. Now, are they all good, I don't know.

cactusjack
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM

I might agree. The scan tool is limited to 10 VINs. Some clubs go in on one. I asked my local club and no one responded, so...I'll have to buy one or go to the dealer. As Trossco said, owning the BMW is like dating a girl that has no gag reflex, but she loves diamonds. Pretty much.

I will say that the local HD dealers really push a maintenance program that is something like $3500 for 4 years. That is tires once a year and lubricant changes. It's a little rich. The Kawasaki dealer where I bought my Nomad was ok. Never any issues, but I never had to deal with them much on warranty stuff (coolant pipe leak on the front head) and not at all on service. At least with HD, there are plenty of dealers to go around. I think there are 22 in Iowa alone. Now, are they all good, I don't know.

Oh yeah...they tried to sell me a 4 year maintenance plan. I told them "no thanks". The salesman looked at me and asked "well then who is going to work on your bike?" I told him I am a competent mechanic and prefer to do my own wrenching. I did pay for the extended warranty, however.

ponch
09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Oh yeah...they tried to sell me a 4 year maintenance plan. I told them "no thanks". The salesman looked at me and asked "well then who is going to work on your bike?" I told him I am a competent mechanic and prefer to do my own wrenching. I did pay for the extended warranty, however.

I would have added "and in whose pocket is the money better off?

blowndodge
09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Gibby I'm surprised that the CCT doesn't feel stronger than the Voyager. I didn't think the Voyager felt faster than my Nomad and I've had 106 Vics kick my behind like nothing else..

ponch
09-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Gibby I'm surprised that the CCT doesn't feel stronger than the Voyager. I didn't think the Voyager felt faster than my Nomad and I've had 106 Vics kick my behind like nothing else..

Even sport bikes?

GIBBY
09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
After putting 1800 miles on my new XCT I have a few observations. Now that it is safe to crack the throttle a little bit more I will say that it pulls much harder than my Nomad did. I did the big 3 on my Nomad so it was not stock. While in Maggie Valley I rode the 2 Voyagers that Kawasaki had there and must say that the 2 bikes were very different. One of the Voyagers shifted smooth and pulled very hard, while the other one had a very clunky transmission and didn't seem to have much more power than my 1500. They have similar torque ratings as the Cross Country. My fuel mileage this past weekend varied from 42 to 47 mpg., depending on riding conditions. I have replaced the stock mufflers with WitchDoctor modified mufflers. They have a nice deep rumble and purport an increase in HP and mpg, without any re-mapping necessary. The new bike fits me both physically and psychologically. And it has the only two colors for motorcycles, black & chrome http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif