PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my clutch

peterdarby
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
I just returned from a two week camping trip and this morning I started my 1700 Nomad. It ran fine but when I pulled the clutch a couple of times before shifting out of neutral it suddenly froze. there it plenty of transmmission fluid and the cable seems intact. Does anyone have an idea on what the problem could be?

cactusjack
08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
The "transmission fluid" is your motor oil, the clutch and transmission are bathed in the same oil as the engine. There is no "cable" your clutch is hydraulic.

What do you mean by froze? The clutch won't engage or disengage?

peterdarby
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I know the transmission fluid is the motor oil and the oil shows full and the oil is not more than 2,000 Miles old. The clutch hose is what I was talking about leading from the clutch lever. The clutch lever doesn't move the engine stays in neutral.

AlabamaNomadRider
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't think of any reason why the clutch lever would not move. You are saying when you pull the clutch lever it won't move at all? If that is the case you may have to take it apart and check it out.

cactusjack
08-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Okay, so the clutch lever won't move. Is the clutch engaged or disengaged?

Top Cat
08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
think he got it running and went for a ride.

ringadingh
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Sounds like something is blocked in the system and won't let the brake fluid pass.

peterdarby
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM
The clutch lever wouldn't move at all. However the clutch is now fine. I went home and decided to open the fluid reservoir . A bit spilled out, due more to not being quite level than anything else. Suddenly the clutch hose burped and the clutch started working. The only thing that I can figure is that I somehow got an air lock in the line and opening the reservoir allowed it to escape.

cactusjack
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Good for you, glad you fixed it.

mikeyger
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
maybe a small say E guitar string pushed in the small hole of the master cylinder in case of debree that could be in there

mikeyger
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
maybe a small say E guitar string pushed in the small hole of the master cylinder in case of debree that could be in there

peterdarby
09-15-2011, 06:53 AM
The other day the clutch froze again. Once again I took off the cover and repeatedly squeezed the lever until it burped. This morning I worked the clutch lever prior to starting and it worked fine. But when I started the bike and put it in gear the clutch slowly moved out until it finally engaged with a jump. Then it works fine. I think I am going to have to take it in and have it looked at. Somehow air seems to be getting into the line. I have never seen a hydraulic line that requires repeated bleeding like this one seems to.

cnc
09-15-2011, 07:17 AM
The other day the clutch froze again. Once again I took off the cover and repeatedly squeezed the lever until it burped. This morning I worked the clutch lever prior to starting and it worked fine. But when I started the bike and put it in gear the clutch slowly moved out until it finally engaged with a jump. Then it works fine. I think I am going to have to take it in and have it looked at. Somehow air seems to be getting into the line. I have never seen a hydraulic line that requires repeated bleeding like this one seems to.

Sounds more to me like some kind of blockage, or something wrong in the slave cylinder causing it to jam. Where the air is coming from I'm not sure, but air should not cause the clutch lever to freeze and not be able to move as you describe.

redjay
09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Piston in the master cylinder or slave cylinder sticking ?