PDA

View Full Version : vaquero temperature

jeremyshack
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
ok...i am riding in 103 - 107 degree temps in north Louisiana. i have a new vaquero that has(1500 miles now). the temp. gage stays around 3/4 of hot and even a bit higher when stopped at red light. Should i be concerned or is this normal for this kind of heat for this bike. it never reaches the "red" zone.

jwg383
08-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I rode a Vaq as a loaner for about 600 miles while my nomad was in the shop. This was in central Mississippi during the late spring. I did notice the temp gauge reading fairly high. It never ran hot, but the gauge always read higher than I thought it should have. My opinion is that its just the way the gauge reads and the bike isn't actually that hot. At least I never had any indication that mine was hot. For what its worth.

cactusjack
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
These are things we didn't concern ourselves with when we rode bikes that only had idiot lights instead of gauges. If it doesn't read in the danger zone, don't sweat it.

Sin City Stan
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
These are things we didn't concern ourselves with when we rode bikes that only had idiot lights instead of gauges. If it doesn't read in the danger zone, don't sweat it.

Go forth and ride. Ignorance is bliss. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif Like Scott said, if it's not in the red there isn't a problem.

jeremyshack
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
thanks...peace of mind is a great thing!

VulcanE
08-10-2011, 07:12 PM
As you put more miles on it, and everything gets broke in good, it will start to run cooler, your just wearing the "NEW" off of it now. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

jestephens
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
ok...i am riding in 103 - 107 degree temps in north Louisiana. i have a new vaquero that has(1500 miles now). the temp. gage stays around 3/4 of hot and even a bit higher when stopped at red light. Should i be concerned or is this normal for this kind of heat for this bike. it never reaches the "red" zone.

Mine reads the same, around 3/4. I'm at about 800 miles. I laughed when I saw this thread because just today when I got home, I shot the infra-red thermometer at the cylinder heads and they read 180 deg F, which doesn't sound excessive.

I've read in another thread that aftermarket exhaust really cools things down. Those catalytic converters get hot themselves and the sluggish exhaust flow keep the engine hot too. ??? They say the cooling fan comes on half as much with replaced exhaust too.

azcruizer
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Just ride it and enjoy it. My Vaquero with 5,000 miles usually runs about 3/4 towards hot. I can tell you though, with the PC5 and air kit the cooling fan seems to run less

rickyboy
08-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Another member {"midge"} a friend of mine,... has a 2010 Voyager and he was concerned with the same problem. Apparently Kawasaki has an issue with the gauge and his dealer said it wasn't something "midge" should worry about. ................and he doesn't!!! He rode it from Calgary to Maple Falls WA with no issues. The temp. gauge got almost to the red line but never crossed over it.

trip
08-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Ditto....... If it's not getting in the red zone... don't worry.

shivanurse
08-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Just ride it and enjoy it. My Vaquero with 5,000 miles usually runs about 3/4 towards hot. I can tell you though, with the PC5 and air kit the cooling fan seems to run less

Mines running the same way after 5K trip to Canada and back... Hey Jim you like the PC5? Does it make a huge difference? I'd like to change pipes and air box but wondering if PC would be the best first investment.....

azcruizer
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, I really like the PC5. Honestly, you're not going to see the best results without an air intake kit to go along with the PC5. That combination with a good map will net you about 12hp and a bit cooler running bike. Adding aftermarket pipes will add about 3-4 more hp.

Grump
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
First let's discuss the useless coolant temp gauge. The Gauge is marked C, \ , \ , | , / , / , H. The "|" is at the 12 o'clock position. At the one o'clock is a "/" and corresponds to 198F (+ or - 5F) and is where the fan comes on.

When I first got my Vaq in Oct 11, the bike would run right at 198F around town, blowing lots of hot air on me, but on the freeway she'd cool off to "|" which, as near as I can figure, is 37.5F cooler; 160F. This is with an ambient temp of 90F max.

Just an aside, my Harley runs at 200F most of the time, freeway or city.

I think part of Kawasaki's problem is the 'clocking' of the gauge's normal range. If 198 is normal operating temp around town, then the scale division for 198 should be at the 12 o'clock position.

Roadie
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Rode my Vaquero all summer long here in Central Texas last year, over 90 days above 100 degrees and over 30 of those days at over 112 degrees plus.

My bike never overheated, even in traffic it never got over the 3/4 mark. Running a Tornado Air Kit, PCv, Cobra Tri-Ovals, and Amsoil Oil helps it run cooler overall.

elvis
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
...If 198 is normal operating temp around town, then the scale division for 198 should be at the 12 o'clock position...

Makes sense.

redjay
02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
The temp gauge on the Vaquero/Voyager is a little worrying as it climbs quickly in traffic and the heat from the right side makes it feel like it is overheating. I guess it is not. As Grump stated, it is the clocking that is off. Like your car, the temp gauge should be in the middle at normal operating temps, and not showing 3/4 on the dial.

dusted
07-08-2014, 06:04 PM
I just got back from a ride and the gauge was 3/4, Currently 98 degrees here now. As long as I don't burn my legs when I'm getting on and off it's all good!!

jase64
07-11-2014, 07:47 AM
When i took off my stock air boxes , left and right to install the tornado air kit.. Left alot more air to get to the juggs. runs alot cooler.. 85 degrees yesterday and while riding the temp gauge never got to the halfway mark. :D

Win_surfur
07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Does Engine Ice make much of a difference?

redjay
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Not a big difference

Win_surfur
07-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I was down at RacinRay's shop a couple weekends ago, getting the throttle mode done, and saw his red Vaq, and the mods he's done. He has a couple of flex hoses running from the front lower fairings, back to the cylinder head area.

captj3
07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I was down at RacinRay's shop a couple weekends ago, getting the throttle mode done, and saw his red Vaq, and the mods he's done. He has a couple of flex hoses running from the front lower fairings, back to the cylinder head area.

I love Ray he is always tinkering with something on his bike trying to improve it.