PDA

View Full Version : Vaquero Power Outlet question

shivanurse
07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Stupid question but do i need to by the Kawi powerlet to install or can i just go to radio shack and get the same thing. Also is it plug and play right behind the fake powerlet cover?

Thanks

cocheese72
07-12-2011, 05:42 PM
The power plugs are usually just a hot and ground, so you can get anything that you want and run it to the battery or other power in the fairing. I don't know what is there as far as a plug, but would assume that they do have something that just plugs in.

cactusjack
07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm guessing if you buy the Kawasaki outlet, it should be plug and play. If you buy anything else, you will have to wire it yourself.

ponch
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
There's always here:
http://www.powerlet.com/

chapmast
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I bought the Kawi power outlet. Only difference between the parts store and the Kawi outlet is the plastic cover for the port. The wires are right behind the opening and removing the storage compartment gives you enough access to install it. I put a second one in the fairing for powering my phone and gps.

Stuart

shivanurse
07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I bought the Kawi power outlet. Only difference between the parts store and the Kawi outlet is the plastic cover for the port. The wires are right behind the opening and removing the storage compartment gives you enough access to install it. I put a second one in the fairing for powering my phone and gps.

Stuart

I found one a Radio Shack with a plastic flap and in line fuse. think ill try that.

shivanurse
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
There's always here:
http://www.powerlet.com/

Thanks Jim. I always forget about that site.

sburpee
09-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Buy the factory one, it fits on the right side, but you have to take the outer fairing off, it is very easy, and is set up just for this with the harness. It installs from the inside so an aftermarket one would need to be modified to fit the opening.

RACNRAY
09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
The instructions supplied with the Kawi power outlet state to remove the outer fairing to install the outlet. This is erroneous. The right side glovebox can be removed (it is held in by 3 screws) and complete access to removing the bock-off plug and installing the outlet is there. The Kawi outlet plugs right into the wiring harness. It took me not even 8 minutes to do the install. Funny thing is i don't have anything to plug into the outlet...yet!!

RACNRAY

sctrcks
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I just got the one from cycle gear on sale for $10. fit right in the factory hole on the Vaquero. the kawi wires are just inside the fairing after removing the three screws to the glove box. cut connector the ends off the power outlet and needed to shorten the wires anyways, change them to bullet push connectors to mate up to factory wires and done in minutes. the plug is hot when key is on accessory. FYI, the yellow wire is the positive one on the bike factory harness, it has the female end on it already

Old Bear
10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Where is the least expensive store you have seen for an original Kawi plug for those that want to be true plug-n-plug?

Fooch
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
You could probably go to a marine store like West Marine and get a waterproof outlet suitable for the bike. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=101695&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50566&classNum=50570#.UHN9mE3t_Z0

tazfl
10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I bought the IPOD connect kit a couple weeks ago and plan on buying the Power outlet soon. I'm going to go ahead and just buy the plug and play one from kawasaki.

BigA80
10-09-2012, 06:14 AM
I found one that was for a Honda GW for about $12 with a lighter in it and weather cap and it works great. Haven't even used it as a power port yet, lit my smokes with it a couple times. You can use whatever you want you might have to do a little modding to fit it but it is just two wires.

Robert Fox
10-09-2012, 08:29 AM
The instructions supplied with the Kawi power outlet state to remove the outer fairing to install the outlet. This is erroneous. The right side glovebox can be removed (it is held in by 3 screws) and complete access to removing the bock-off plug and installing the outlet is there. The Kawi outlet plugs right into the wiring harness. It took me not even 8 minutes to do the install. Funny thing is i don't have anything to plug into the outlet...yet!!

RACNRAY

+1 on this.....super easy install. the kawi unit plugs straight in and comes with a rubber weather cover/plug. an aftermarket unit would be more hassle to wire/install verses a few extra $$ for the kawi unit.

Kaygee
11-23-2012, 07:25 PM
I have to agree with Ray on all accounts! Thanks Ray! I bought a usb charging port and am splicing it into the factory harness and running a usb to mini hdmi wire from it to the garmin mount I made that bolts to the cap screw securing the cables at the front of the triple tree just below the handle bar mount.So Im using the supplied cable from Garmin that connects the Gamin to your laptop as the power cable to get away from the bulk of the cigaret lighter charger thing. Besides I don't smoke! lol! And it keeps it nice and clean.

King Tim
05-07-2013, 11:43 PM
I just got the one from cycle gear on sale for $10. fit right in the factory hole on the Vaquero. the kawi wires are just inside the fairing after removing the three screws to the glove box. cut connector the ends off the power outlet and needed to shorten the wires anyways, change them to bullet push connectors to mate up to factory wires and done in minutes. the plug is hot when key is on accessory. FYI, the yellow wire is the positive one on the bike factory harness, it has the female end on it already

Just did this and it was 5 minutes start to finish. Perfect fit and a male and female bullet connector crimped on the cycle gear outlet and plug and play. My first mod.!

cdcmetal21
02-28-2016, 01:49 AM
Is the power source only on the right side? I was hoping to install a usb charger on the left side

JD Hog
02-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Is the power source only on the right side? I was hoping to install a usb charger on the left side

If you don't find the power you need on the left side just run a longer wire to the right side.

Welcome to the forum from Northern California.

Karatemoto
02-29-2016, 12:11 AM
I found this an interesting project. I didn't by the Kawasaki version, but I did by the Honda cigarette lighter one for the right hand side, and a dual USB version of the same for the left. Both have rubber caps for keeping moisture out. I figured that will give me the best of both worlds. I wired them off the same circuit and put an inline fuse that can be serviced by unscrewing and removing the left hand side "glovebox".

Right now, I'm upgrading the stereo with the alpine amp that everyone seems to rate positively and as well, went to the POLK speakers too. I might run a circuit for some LED lighting while I'm messing about! May as well do it all at once! What else can I wire up on my Vaq? What are some faves?

Karatemoto!

Ken Vega
02-29-2016, 03:26 PM
I found this an interesting project. I didn't by the Kawasaki version, but I did by the Honda cigarette lighter one for the right hand side, and a dual USB version of the same for the left. Both have rubber caps for keeping moisture out. I figured that will give me the best of both worlds. I wired them off the same circuit and put an inline fuse that can be serviced by unscrewing and removing the left hand side "glovebox".

Right now, I'm upgrading the stereo with the alpine amp that everyone seems to rate positively and as well, went to the POLK speakers too. I might run a circuit for some LED lighting while I'm messing about! May as well do it all at once! What else can I wire up on my Vaq? What are some faves?

Karatemoto!

As a word of advice, bridge the Alpine amp for 2 channel 90 watts per channel RMS. I blew one of the Polk speakers and the Polk rep told me I was actually under powering the speakers with 45 watts rms, which likely led to the speaker going out. Signal distortion he told me from having to use high volumes to achieve the sound I wanted at speed. I thought it was bullshit but others have told me the same now. I bridged the Alpine amp and added some Kicker CS series until polk replaces my blown speaker. The kickers sound phenomenal and now I only need to go to 13 on the volume and it rocks. :tup: